archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events

Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events A place to discuss upcoming related events. Whenever a new event is added to the calendar, a new thread is automatically generated here.

BSA Lecture: New Research on Design Research
Calendar: Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events
briv
Administrator

03-16-2011 06:00 PM to 08:30 PM
Event: Lecture

March 16 ? Boston Public Library?s Rabb Lecture Hall, Copley Square

6:00 pm ? Free

JANE THOMPSON AICP: NEW RESEARCH ON DESIGN RESEARCH

A retrospective of the life of the Design Research stores in Cambridge, New York and San Francisco (1953?1978), this presentation by 2010 National Design Award winner Thompson encompasses the larger story of modernism in architecture and everyday objects, evolving from the 1920s German Bauhaus into the midcentury vocabulary of American buildings, interiors, useful objects, textiles and graphics.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Beton Brut

Re: BSA Lecture: New Research on Design Research

^^ Do I smell a meet-up opportunity? There's a good bourbon list at the Charlesmark bar, right across the street...
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Beton Brut

I really enjoyed Jane Thompson's talk tonight, but had to run out before the Q&A.

Anyone else go?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
datadyne007

I really wanted to, but I had my Revit class tonight. Any topics of interest that were raised?
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Beton Brut

Jane Thompson's talk was a brightly illustrated trip down memory lane, much of it before my time. Ben was a big-ideas visionary, and seeing old photos of the beginnings of Design Research through the opening of the sadly vacant location on Brattle was really wild.

Julius Shulman spoke about Modernism in the context of optimism for the future; that genuine sense of optimism was present in Ben's work and ideas. I hope there's a book in the works...
Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
datadyne007

The Wentworth professors frequently allude to/talk about/show pictures of the D/R store (which they [annoyingly] call the "Crate & Barrel Store"). I really wish I had gone and visited it during my freshman year (2008-2009).

Why did Crate & Barrel leave that spot? Same reason they left Faneuil? End of a 30-year lease?

Wait a sec, Anthropologie moved in?
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote