archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events

Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events A place to discuss upcoming related events. Whenever a new event is added to the calendar, a new thread is automatically generated here.

Inaugural Jane Jacobs Lecture. Presented by Cory Booker. Mayor of Newark, NJ
Calendar: Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events
palindrome

04-02-2009 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM
Event: Lecture

TONIGHT
Thursday, April 2nd, 2009

Cory Booker
Mayor of Newark, New Jersey

will deliver the inaugural
Jane Jacobs Lecture
Co-Sponsored by the
Winston Center for Leadership and Ethics and the Institute for Liberal Arts

Murray Room, Yawkey Center, 6:00pm
reception to follow lecture

On May 9, 2006, Cory Booker took the oath of office as Mayor of Newark, New Jersey?s largest city, following a sweeping electoral victory. From increased security in public housing to new playgrounds, Mayor Booker?s innovative and bold initiatives are changing lives. Mayor Booker received his B. A. and M. A. from Stanford University, a B. A. in Modern History at Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar, and completed his law degree at Yale University.

This event is free and open to the public

Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
underground

Re: Inaugural Jane Jacobs Lecture. Presented by Cory Booker. Mayor of Newark, NJ

From increased security in public housing to new playgrounds, Mayor Booker?s innovative and bold initiatives are changing lives.

This is a left over April Fools joke, right?
underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
JohnAKeith

Re: Inaugural Jane Jacobs Lecture. Presented by Cory Booker. Mayor of Newark, NJ

Tut tut. I don't know. People at the Rappaport Institute lecture last night on public, charter, and pilot schools thought the guy is doing a pretty good job.

He's stealing our good and creative educators!
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
underground

Sorry. I wasn't trying to criticize Booker. I was trying to point out the irony of someone who thinks Housing Projects can be fixed by security and playgrounds speaking at an event associated with Jane Jacobs.
underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
JohnAKeith

Oh, right. Actually, now I'm laughing out loud. Srsly.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Chris

I saw a documentary about him when he was running for the first time for mayor against the previous, allegedly corrupt, mayor (he lost). He actually took residence in one of the city's projects, but he was campaigning on reforming them (a contentious topic it turned out).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
JohnAKeith

Just showing up is 9/10ths of life. Also, I often set low expectations and exceed them.