archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events

Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events A place to discuss upcoming related events. Whenever a new event is added to the calendar, a new thread is automatically generated here.

Micro-Housing: Rethinking Urban Living
Calendar: Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events
BostonUrbEx

03-26-2013 07:45 AM to 09:45 AM
Event: Lecture

Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #41
fattony

Re: Micro-Housing: Rethinking Urban Living

What ever happened to the good ol' fashioned murphy bed. I've only seen a few microunits that included the original space-saver extraordinaire. Sleeping and entertaining are generally mutually exclusive (with the exception of entertaining one person you aren't going to mind squeezing close to) so the murphy in the livingroom is a no-brainer. I've seen really nice ones that incorporate bookshelves on the sides and display art or photographs in the upright position.

Also closet space is a repeat failure in microunit design. Heck, I was just in Baltimore this weekend visiting a friend in her new construction 1100+ sq. ft. apartment and closet space was pretty slack. In a house with a garage or basement closets are less important, but apartments notoriously come up short. Microunits laughably so. It's like the people designing these things have never actually lived in an apartment.
fattony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #42
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
Also closet space is a repeat failure in microunit design. Heck, I was just in Baltimore this weekend visiting a friend in her new construction 1100+ sq. ft. apartment and closet space was pretty slack. In a house with a garage or basement closets are less important, but apartments notoriously come up short. Microunits laughably so. It's like the people designing these things have never actually lived in an apartment.
The design I posted has more closet space than my (very common) pre-war apartment. The idea with apartment/micro-unit living is that furniture will be modular and incorporate storage.
datadyne007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #43
cden4

I do think it's funny that people are basically trying to reinvent small apartments. My first apt in Allston was 320 square feet. It had a decent sized closet, full sized appliances (fridge, stove/oven), and I was able to fit a twin bed, small pull-out couch, desk, dresser, and a two seater dining table. It was a perfectly manageable amount of space for one person, and having people over worked out just fine.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #44
BostonUrbEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
This was just posted on Architecture Daily.

An absolutely beautiful solution for micro-living. It has a full bath and full kitchen. This is allegedly 270 square feet (25 sq m).

Ahh, for the right price (or perhaps just the right view out my window) I'd take this! Full kitchen and bath while still having a bed? That's not too micro for me!

EDIT: Wait- what about laundry. If there's not a free laundry facility on every floor, I'm out. [/deal breaker]
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #45
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonUrbEx View Post
EDIT: Wait- what about laundry. If there's not a free laundry facility on every floor, I'm out. [/deal breaker]
Erm, then living in Boston in general is not for you. Laundry's mostly in the basement and costs $2 wash, $2 dry.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #46
novitiate

Quote:
Erm, then living in Boston in general is not for you. Laundry's mostly in the basement and costs $2 wash, $2 dry.
I have to walk down the street, and pay like twice that much on top of that... where are you living for such a deal?!

Also, I would totally live in that 270 sq. ft. unit... but I wouldn't be thrilled about dorm-like scenarios where I'd have to share a bathroom or kitchen.
novitiate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #47
BostonUrbEx

Quote:
Yeah, laundry bugs me too much. I don't have a terribly big selection of clothes, and would never wear anything twice without washing it, so that's a problem to me.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #48
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by novitiate View Post
I have to walk down the street, and pay like twice that much on top of that... where are you living for such a deal?!

Also, I would totally live in that 270 sq. ft. unit... but I wouldn't be thrilled about dorm-like scenarios where I'd have to share a bathroom or kitchen.
Worthington St at Huntington Ave. Pre-war bldg. I have 12 sq ft of closet space (6 and 6) and no kitchen cabinets at all. ANYTHING is an upgrade haha.

I know what you're saying about laundry though. In Berlin, it was 5,50 in total.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #49
JohnAKeith

I have clients who would pay $2,500 for that. Sry.
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote