archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #3021
elemenoh

Re: Biking in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
So, I saw my first zagster bike today at Canal Park (Lechmere), which also happens to be near their First St HQ (or co-HQ with San Francisco)

http://bike.zagster.com/riders/

Can anyone help me understand how/why Zagster & Hubway Exist side by side?

About 3 posts upthread, Zagster was named as a "not leading" option for the Town of Arlington.

Is zagster succeeding at the "workplace" scale even if it can't compete at the "town" scale?
I don't know if they're succeeding, but they certainly seem to have refocused on offering their bike share as an amenity for property managers, resorts, hotels, and campuses. It looks like a scheme that would work well for small self-contained systems.

While Hubway looks incredibly expensive on the surface, there's a big benefit for towns in the region to stick with that system and extend it out a bit beyond the urban core.

Zagster approached Provincetown a year or so ago about doing a bike share out here on Cape Cod, but that discussion didn't go anywhere.
elemenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #3022
Scipio

If a property manager within a traditional bike share service area is setting up a service like Zagster, they're targeting the out-and-back users running errands or going for a recreational ride. I think the capital costs are cheaper than paying for Hubway to set up a dock and bikes.

Speaking of Hubway competition, I wonder if any of the dockless Chinese bike sharing start ups decide to start serving Boston. Bluegogo is starting service in San Francisco this year and will probably be the first of its kind in America. In China the companies can make a profit off a bike if it can survive for only three months out on the street, and costs for the users is something like a dime per trip.
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #3023
Scipio

Brookline ruled out having any bike lane treatments on Babcock Street after two years of meetings. The design alternatives over the years included everything from basic painted bike lane to Danish-style separated bike lanes in each direction to a total reimagining of the street that made it one-way for cars and installed a two-way bike lane. After all of those were shot down by neighbors the city went back and looked at even more options, including routing people on bikes off Babcock and onto local side streets.

In the end they picked Option 4, sharrows and raised crosswalks, after a difficult meeting:

Quote:
Removing parking for bike lanes had been removed previously from the options because of the large turn-out at previous meetings of people opposed to removal of car parking. We were fortunate to have several excellent pro-bike people speaking including Anne Lusk who lives in Brookline.

I was disgusted at the eye rolling and whispering and head shaking by people seated near me at anything that had to do with bikes.They even did that with Anne Lusk who was speaking about her efforts of bringing cycling to elderly communities and her research that biking is a much better exercise for the brain than walking to prevent Alzheimer's. No one is more articulate than Anne Lusk, a renowned researcher.
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote