archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #2841
Dr. StrangeHat

Re: Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosakita18 View Post
Personally, I think the York Street facade looks a lot better. The Commerical St. Facade is very bland and monotonous.
Yeah, I hadn't seen the York Street side until the above link (thanks cneal!). Agreed that the York Street facade is far better. I also agree with other comments that varying the heights of each section would be a vast improvement.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is the light gray facade along the setbacks/recessed balconies on the upper floors (understanding that this is an early rendering mostly for massing purposes). It's one of my biggest pet peeves with the Bay House these guys developed, too. It comes across as cheap. There needs to be a little more variety of materials and colors in those sections.
Dr. StrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #2842
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. StrangeHat View Post
My biggest problem with the whole thing is the light gray facade along the setbacks/recessed balconies on the upper floors (understanding that this is an early rendering mostly for massing purposes). It's one of my biggest pet peeves with the Bay House these guys developed, too. It comes across as cheap. There needs to be a little more variety of materials and colors in those sections.
I couldn't agree more about the Bay House -- the project had so much potential but I think it was a real let-down. The views of Bay House from Newbury Street in particular reveal a lot of what appears to be cheap vinyl or plastic siding. The courtyard which divides the two buildings and is primarily viewable from Newbury Street is quite unattractive as well, as you've got to peer past several walls, ramps and a gate that rise to a higher elevation than the street. I was under the impression when the project was first proposed that the courtyard was going to be open to the public and available as a pass-through.

As it is the Bay House has the feel of a gated community that would be more at home in Florida than in Portland. I'm hopeful that the surrounding development will start to mitigate the impact of the Bay House.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #2843
Dr. StrangeHat

Washington Ave from Congress Street to Tukey's Bridge continues to be a hot corridor:

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/01/0...s-in-portland/
Dr. StrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #2844
SHAZBAT73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I couldn't agree more about the Bay House -- the project had so much potential but I think it was a real let-down. The views of Bay House from Newbury Street in particular reveal a lot of what appears to be cheap vinyl or plastic siding. The courtyard which divides the two buildings and is primarily viewable from Newbury Street is quite unattractive as well, as you've got to peer past several walls, ramps and a gate that rise to a higher elevation than the street. I was under the impression when the project was first proposed that the courtyard was going to be open to the public and available as a pass-through.

As it is the Bay House has the feel of a gated community that would be more at home in Florida than in Portland. I'm hopeful that the surrounding development will start to mitigate the impact of the Bay House.
I've checked all of the recent links (thanks!) and read the posts about the lumber yard development and what we got for the Bay House. Here is what I think - The developers are playing it safe with this new development. Why?

1. They are going with the brick wall look of Commercial Street (The Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront next door initially had much less of a brick facade and was shot down) - I call it "Continuing the wall"
2. Keeping the height the same as the rest of Commercial Street. Nimby's don't like tall things near the water and anything that might look different from the status quo. C'mon, variance? 5 and 7 stories down there? That's not Portland-like!!!

As for the Bay House, if we can remember the initial proposal, it was great! But due to the out spoken few (as the city wide vote on views proved overwhelmingly) and a spineless plus brick lovin' planning board, the whole thing went to shit. Now we have a 4-5 story dump versus what would have been a great symbol of Portland's prosperity. RIP initial proposal below:

So, play it safe and you will get your boring little brick box!
SHAZBAT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #2845
TC_zoid

retro airstream trailer just put on new rooftop deck at bayside bowl. its gonna be a foodie taco trailer! perfected awesomeness. this will be the cool hang with the view now... rising tide and Bissell gonna have to be more inventive to top this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO93RCXh...by=baysidebowl
TC_zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #2846
Corey

Send a message via AIM to Corey

Totally agree with the comments about the Bay House and apparent cheapness of materials. I'm optimistic so far about the buildings going up in the same block as the Grand Trunk Railroad building. Happy to get four new buildings there instead of one big building. The pedestrian plazas connecting the buildings should be interesting too.

A few recent shots of 101 York Street:

Between this and the development at the lumber yard, this stretch of York Street is getting a bit more interesting.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #2847
SHAZBAT73

This may be old news to some, new to others. A 6 story building proposed for 20 Thames Street:

http://me-portland.civicplus.com/Age...6?fileID=20603

I've submitted this to Emporis and hopefully it should show by early next week.
SHAZBAT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #2848
Cosakita18

Good PPH article about the tight office market in Portland. Overall office vacancy rates were 6.2% in 2016. The article mentions a few relatively minor office projects in the works both on and off peninsula.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/01/1...-office-space/
Cosakita18 is offline   Reply With Quote