archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #41
tangent

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Taking a few days to reflect... and I still like everything above the base from all angles and even across the water and I could even live with the base with some relatively minor changes that might make a big aesthetic difference.

Personally though I would have gone with a base that tried more to blend in with the surrounding architecture as if it had been there forever and then gone with the tower rising up out of it.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #42
Sprngh2o

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 700 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
I've come back to this image a few times this morning. This is good work; I particularly enjoy the tension between opaque and transparent surfaces, and the shifting, interlocking geometry. The red sandstone is fresh! Here's the sort of thing I wish we were getting at North Station.

At first blush, the proportions and vibe of the Neutelings Riedijk tower felt familiar, but I couldn't remember why; I had to sit with it (and a big coffee). And after an hour it dawned on me, one of my favorite buildings on Harvard's campus. Some of you may wonder what I've been putting in my coffee...
Is this from the same people that did the Back Bay Station proposal?
Sprngh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #43
Beton Brut

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 700 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprngh2o View Post
Is this from the same people that did the Back Bay Station proposal?
If you're referring to this proposal, I don't believe KPMB has anything to do with it.

EDIT: Just dug into the "Back Bay Garage Tower" thread and I believe Pelli Clark and Pelli are responsible for the design of Boston Properties' proposal.

~ Justin7

Last edited by Beton Brut; 10-09-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Beton Brut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #44
Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent View Post
Personally though I would have gone with a base that tried more to blend in with the surrounding architecture as if it had been there forever and then gone with the tower rising up out of it.
Agree completely. Can't put my finger on it but for some reason this thing just doesn't fit the location. Having the base blend more might go a long way.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #45
Beton Brut

For those aren't enamored with the base, is it the non-traditional cladding/window treatments, the overhang, the "ramp" expressed on the facade, or something else? Would you prefer masonry or terra cotta cladding with windows, a glass curtain-wall (without the diagonal brise soleil fins), or something else?

~ Justin7
Old 10-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #46
Rover

Quote:
For those aren't enamored with the base, is it the non-traditional cladding/window treatments, the overhang, the "ramp" expressed on the facade, or something else? Would you prefer masonry or terra cotta cladding with windows, a glass curtain-wall (without the diagonal brise soleil fins), or something else?
The window treatments combined with the ramp scream "parking garage". Off the top of my head I'd like to see an homage to either its red brick neighbors to the East and North (Bay State Road) or something akin to the stone design of the College of Arts and Sciences next door. Would be a good transition streetwise with something more like the Museum aan de Stroom pictures from earlier in the thread above it.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #47
odurandina

Quote:
Thoughtful interpretation.

i believe the project needs a complete redesign. How about an attractive terracotta patterned or glass tower.
If they really love the long street wall, can it be built underground?
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #48
shmessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Agree completely. Can't put my finger on it but for some reason this thing just doesn't fit the location. Having the base blend more might go a long way.
I would love this along the Mass Pike in Brighton.

I have nothing good to say about it on Commonwealth Avenue.

BTW, the thread title is misleading - - it is not in, or of, Kenmore Square. Berklee College of Music is as close to Kenmore Square in the other direction as this is.

Last edited by shmessy; 10-09-2018 at 02:56 PM.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #49
cden4

This building just screams "Look at me! I'm different!" for no good reason. I know it's possible to make something that is both modern and that blends in with its neighbors. This is not it.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #50
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Agreed. I stated this same point in the other thread, that it was contextually wrong for a cohesive campus. A different podium might work to ameliorate that issue, but really, I just think this building belongs over by Boston Landing. Over there, I think it would work, and look really good.

Quote:
I actually like the base quite well, but it is a big part of the problem with my sense that the building doesn't fit the BU campus. In the abstract, it's a building I can get behind, just not as located.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #51
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I actually like the base quite well, but it is a big part of the problem with my sense that the building doesn't fit well. In the abstract, it's a building I can get behind, just not as located.
I feel the same way about Piano's addition to the Gardner Museum. I love the building, frequent the concert hall, but have never warmed to its presence next to the Palace.

~ Justin7
Old 10-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #52
statler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
BTW, the thread title is misleading - - it is not in, or of, Kenmore Square. Berklee College of Music is as close to Kenmore Square in the other direction as this is.
What neighborhood would you put it in?
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #53
cjbski

Allston?
cjbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #54
Justin7

Fenway?

Personally I just consider this stretch "BU."
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #55
Beton Brut

"BU Central/Lot N" would be most "geographically" accurate.

~ Justin7
Old 10-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #56
shmessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
What neighborhood would you put it in?
First off, the Mods do a fantastic job, I'm just putting in my two cents, but to your question:

I agree with Justin and Breton - - certainly not "Kenmore Square".

665 Commonwealth Ave is accurate. "Kenmore Square" blurs a lot of lines there. Plenty of thread titles simply have the address. I find it helpful when there is a further area notation if the project is actually in the area.
But this is 3 x closer to Storrow Drive than it is to Kenmore Square, and that would confuse matters also.

Perhaps "Across from Warren Towers" or nothing else at all, really.

P.S. - cjbski's tongue in cheek pun is funny, but I agree in that sense - - I too would RELOCATE the building as is to Allston (along the Pike).

Last edited by shmessy; 10-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #57
odurandina

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

it's the Fenway ALMOST to that urban section of Brookline right there... sort of.

Exactly; annex that part of Brookline.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...!4d-71.1211635

the extent of the Fenway....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fe...!4d-71.1002881

Allston....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...!4d-71.1337112
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #58
sm89

Fenway-Kenmore.

The zip code really helps here. Also the resident parking signs behind it on Bay State Rd.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #59
statler

Would anyone be too upset if I just left it at BU Central? It not a traditional neighborhood but I think it is the clearest option.

BTW none of this matters but figuring out where neighborhood boundaries are is a fun discussion.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #60
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
Would anyone be too upset if I just left it at BU Central? It not a traditional neighborhood but I think it is the clearest option.

BTW none of this matters but figuring out where neighborhood boundaries are is a fun discussion.
No, I like BU Central. That helps people visualize where on Comm Ave this is.