archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #41
JSic

Re: Motor Mart Tower | 201 Stuart Str. | Park Sq | Boston

Nice. Stuart Street keeps getting better and better.
JSic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #42
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
There's always Olive Garden!
I thought the exact same thing.

I find Maggiano's as authentically Italian as an OnCor Lasagna.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #43
tobyjug

^^^My compare!

On the building, how about some Art Deco medallions around the crown depicting modes of transport from the 20's through today, e.g.: a locomotive, a 30's car, a P 38, a 707, a space capsule, a Corvette, a burning Tesla, and so on. Your choice on aluminum or limestone cast.
tobyjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #44
reverend_paco

This is beautiful.

Couple of thoughts I had:

1) the condos in the old garage might be nicer (by some definitions of nice) than in the new building, what with high ceilings and classic wide black-mullioned windows facing either statler park or the park plaza

2) the cornice/mechanical-screen at the top has some jaggedy-weirdness that I really like

reverend_paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #45
Bos77

I can hear the pearls starting to clutch from 3000 miles away....
Bos77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #46
tmac9wr

I like it but it really needs more height...it's trying to be sleek but the actual form is pretty squat. I know it'll never happen, but if this could reach 500+ ft, it'd be a beauty.
tmac9wr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #47
meddlepal

This is great. I was expecting disaster and instead we got something very exciting that hopefully makes it through the approval process.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #48
odurandina

i'm hallucinating....

i thought this was gonna be standard turd wash cycle.

Olive Garden ha ha

(it's Taverna Tony Tuesday).
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:10 AM   #49
vanshnookenraggen

Am I the only one that doesn't like the curves? This is going on top of an art deco building with straight lines and only one minor curve. I just feel like this is too much.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:30 AM   #50
stick n move

Wow, ground floor retail and condos in the structure. The structure itself is amazing.. but it was just a parking garage. With the retail now this beautiful structure will be much more appreciated by people being up close and interacting with the building. Boston gets better by the day, its really fulfilling its potential now. I like that the spaced masonry continues up the facade, I wonder if a liberty mutual type tower would have worked even better?
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #51
Coyote137

Send a message via AIM to Coyote137

Trust fund baby NIMBYs will be blathering about the recent Globe article - "but the luxury condos are owned by people from out of state!!!1!!1!one!!"
Old 09-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #52
SeamusMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
I thought the exact same thing.

I find Maggiano's as authentically Italian as an OnCor Lasagna.
Be that as it may. I just won two gift cards to Maggiano's Monday this week.
Guess I better get over there sooner than later.
SeamusMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #53
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't like the curves? This is going on top of an art deco building with straight lines and only one minor curve. I just feel like this is too much.
I like the curves, because of the way they echo all the other curves around Park Square (Park Plaza Office Building; Liberty Mutual Building). I think it really pays homage to its environment.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #54
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
I like the curves, because of the way they echo all the other curves around Park Square (Park Plaza Office Building; Liberty Mutual Building). I think it really pays homage to its environment.
This. It mimics the curves in the surrounding context nicely as well as the bend in the Motor Mart Garage itself.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #55
fattony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
I picked up on that as well.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #56
bigpicture7

Plus, the curves are faceted, which (I believe) jibes with the art deco era.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #57
odurandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote137 View Post
Trust fund baby NIMBYs will be blathering about the recent Globe article - "but the luxury condos are owned by people from out of state!!!1!!1!one!!"
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...WoJ/story.html

It was always bad, but Globe subscribers have really fallen into the abyss. What an unhinged, mob of loony, neo-Marxist fascists.... with the Globe desperate to sell subscriptions edging them on with yet another development hit piece. Who cares that Boston's squat proportions reflect the most cautious, conservative development refereeing in America.

Tim Logan was probably duped into writing that inaccurate, bullshit article aimed directly to a special audience of dishonest losers.

1. let's switch to squat infill and see if that eases home prices.

2. the bigger the demand/supply imbalance, the more the nimby's can afford to switch to St Barts (Geoparks) instead of Boca (Ned) when the day finally comes to cash out.

*i took some incoming; up to (183) dislikes just on my opening post.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #58
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
Wow, ground floor retail and condos in the structure. The structure itself is amazing.. but it was just a parking garage. With the retail now this beautiful structure will be much more appreciated by people being up close and interacting with the building. Boston gets better by the day, its really fulfilling its potential now. I like that the spaced masonry continues up the facade, I wonder if a liberty mutual type tower would have worked even better?
There's actually ground floor retail all around the garage right now. It's where Maggiano's, Legal Seafood, and Flemings currently are located. There's a Hertz Car Rental in one storefront, and I believe there's another storefront there too that's vacant. This project may dress them up a little more, but there's really not much of an issue with the street level activation here. It's a model for how a garage should look. The condo tower and maybe some subtle improvements to the storefronts will be a win, but there's nothing wrong with the retail as-is (unless you have an issue with chain restaurants).
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #59
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
There's actually ground floor retail all around the garage right now. It's where Maggiano's, Legal Seafood, and Flemings currently are located. There's a Hertz Car Rental in one storefront, and I believe there's another storefront there too that's vacant. This project may dress them up a little more, but there's really not much of an issue with the street level activation here. It's a model for how a garage should look. The condo tower and maybe some subtle improvements to the storefronts will be a win, but there's nothing wrong with the retail as-is (unless you have an issue with chain restaurants).
In fact, with the residential lobby needing ground floor space, I believe the new proposal has LESS ground floor retail than is currently available.

I still like the addition, though.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #60
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Indeed, of all the above-ground urban garages we've got to deal with in Boston, this one is probably the one with the fewest issues as-is. Still glad to see the opportunity taken for increased density/utilization of the parcel.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote