archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:43 PM   #781
chrisbrat

Re: The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
I mean, cmon, the line for the Sil has been around the corner now for over five years (?!) gimme a break.
? i'm at the sil regularly - was there last saturday night and tonight - and i've never once waited in a line to get in. [/quote]

Quote:
Although not my hood at all, Tavern at the End of the World is a fairly new spot that's one of the few to replicate what I think a decent normal bar should be like. Good place, but I haven't been in a couple years now.
you'll be disappointed to learn that the new/recent ownership has totally sucked the life out of tavern at the end of the world. messed with the menu, changed the layout of the rooms, new staff. i used to go there weekly and when i went with some buddies (not knowing that there had been an overhaul) late this summer we left before they even got around to serving our drinks. awful place.

here's hoping that sligo, the tam, charlie's kitchen, beacon hill pub, sullivan's, jj folley's, sillhouette, etc. manage to stick around for a while (RIP abbey lounge, cambridgeport, the paddock...)
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #782
FK4

Re: The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

^^^ Those are some quality places both living and dead.

I have been to the Sil without lines but more often than not since around 2009 theres been a line of college kids on weekends. The fact that that happened even once means there are not enough watering holes in the neighborhood.

Terrible news about Tavern... first time I went there, the bartender left his post to sing a number with the band. I was instantly sold.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #783
chrisbrat

my experience was very clearly just after they had redone the menu, seating, new staff, etc., so i am going to hope that they just had yet to iron things out. i'll probably give tavern another shot prior to practice one of these weeks -- here's hoping it's less crappy!

im used to weekend lines for the model -- that's been a thing since the mid-'90s at least -- but im surprised to hear that about the sillhouette. for one thing, most BU/BC kids tend to prefer "cleaner" places like white horse, tavern in the square, etc.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #784
theSil

Touched seeing my namesake discussed on AB for the first time.

When I first started going to the Sil circa 2013, the clientele most nights would be roughly 1/3 Central American, 1/3 middle-aged working class white guys, and 1/3 college students. That breakdown has changed quite a bit when I've been back to visit.

While the Sil is very BU heavy on the weekends, but I think The Model is now the go to spot for the "hip" BU crowd. BU alum are always shocked when I tell them that that was the skinhead bar growing up.
theSil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #785
chrisbrat

in the '90s and early '00s, more blow was done in the model and our house (pretty "meh" bar, especially compared to "old time" model) bathrooms than in bogota on a given night. and, yeah -- lots of [three-letter name of crew not mentioned bc they're still around, albeit less prominent] and skinhead bullshit went down at/around the model back in the day.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #786
Beton Brut

^ Verified. I frequented both the Model and Our House (my mates lived next door to OH). We observed some pretty reprobate behavior at both spots. Youth really is wasted on the young...

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #787
Suffolk 83

Quote:
Contrary to what many might think, the winter for me is a perfect time for extended urban crosstown late night and crystalline cold travel thru grim, warm places... it's Boston at its very best, to me. Romanticization? Absolutely.
I find I do more bar hopping and eating out in the city in the winter.

Quote:
here's hoping that sligo, the tam, charlie's kitchen, beacon hill pub, sullivan's, jj folley's, sillhouette, etc. manage to stick around for a while (RIP abbey lounge, cambridgeport, the paddock...)
Beacon Hill Pub is currently shuttered... they CLAIM its going to reopen but I'm not holding my breath. Same goes with Sullivans Tap- that just "temporarily" closed but I have my doubts. Them and the Tam are all owned by the same new owners who I now believe to be the devil himself.

This bar speak should probably be moved to separate thread but I'll continue the derailment-

Still going strong are Deluxe and Anchovies in my hood, thank god for them.

I like the Sil as well hopefully that sticks around
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #788
Beton Brut

Deluxe is a real treasure. Briv, commuter guy, and a couple of others ended up there one night -- feels like a hundred years ago.

And I love it that a thread devoted to a top-drawer luxury highrise has devolved into a nuanced discussion of dive bars.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #789
Cobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrat View Post
? i'm at the sil regularly - was there last saturday night and tonight - and i've never once waited in a line to get in.

you'll be disappointed to learn that the new/recent ownership has totally sucked the life out of tavern at the end of the world. messed with the menu, changed the layout of the rooms, new staff. i used to go there weekly and when i went with some buddies (not knowing that there had been an overhaul) late this summer we left before they even got around to serving our drinks. awful place.

here's hoping that sligo, the tam, charlie's kitchen, beacon hill pub, sullivan's, jj folley's, sillhouette, etc. manage to stick around for a while (RIP abbey lounge, cambridgeport, the paddock...

Agreed on Tavern, I used to love that place and it has almost turned unbearable.

One to add to the list that I hope doesnt go anywhere is Corner Pub in Chinatown, love that place.
Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #790
stick n move

We need a shot of parcel M now with no obstructions. Its still a shot of this site..
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #791
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
I find I do more bar hopping and eating out in the city in the winter.

Beacon Hill Pub is currently shuttered... they CLAIM its going to reopen but I'm not holding my breath. Same goes with Sullivans Tap- that just "temporarily" closed but I have my doubts. Them and the Tam are all owned by the same new owners who I now believe to be the devil himself.

This bar speak should probably be moved to separate thread but I'll continue the derailment-

Still going strong are Deluxe and Anchovies in my hood, thank god for them.

I like the Sil as well hopefully that sticks around
Holy crap, Beacon Hill Pub?!? That was the lone place I could get into without an ID (other than Matt Murphy's in Brookline) long ago... wow. I work close by, wish I went there now more than I do.

A while back I went on a fairly obsessive investigation into a lot of the old dive bars in Boston... that search led to many late nights reading ancient pre-blogspot blogs, old angelfire sites, etc, with great testimonials on the existing dive bars as well as closed ones. Since this thread has been totally derailed, I suppose I'll spell out a bit of what I remember right here:

First, basically anything called "Tap" is the real deal and probably had some criminal connection. Most of the old "Taps" were. Google around and you'll find the info.

But also there used to be a sort of chain of bars called Father's and they had funny names like Father's Too, Father's Three etc - I wonder if anyone here remembers them; I am too young. But from what I remember, they were all owned, along with a handful of other dives, by the same guy, who had some sort of connection to Whitey Bulger and criminal stuff. Cambridgeport Tap, Beacon Hill Pub, The Tam, Crossroads Pub, Sullivans (the North Station one, not Charlestown) and a few others (maybe Sullivans, I can't remember) were all part of this ownership.

If you google deep enough, you find all sorts of excellent stories and memories by real old timers, great stuff about the old Park Sq and the leather bars, old Combat Zone, etc etc... not to overly romanticize the grit, but the primary sources are so much better than what most people into this stuff settle for, like the occasional photo on Dirty Old Boston...
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:49 PM   #792
Boston02124

Im remember all those places, Combat Zone was great place to hang in my twenties
Boston02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #793
JANAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston02124 View Post
Im remember all those places, Combat Zone was great place to hang in my twenties
Not to further derail this thread but someone on Bisnow must be reading this thread:

story today

Meanwhile, excavation has started at 150 Seaport, really shows what poor condition those bars were in. But also shows how awesome the view is going to be from the new harborwalk that will go around the property now, big win.
JANAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #794
Suffolk 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANAM View Post
Not to further derail this thread but someone on Bisnow must be reading this thread:

story today

Meanwhile, excavation has started at 150 Seaport, really shows what poor condition those bars were in. But also shows how awesome the view is going to be from the new harborwalk that will go around the property now, big win.
What's the "awesome view" of? The world trade center? I dont get it. The harborwalk is nice and all but this will not make or break it. Its way better over by the courthouse and in front of 50 liberty
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #795
JANAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
What's the "awesome view" of? The world trade center? I dont get it. The harborwalk is nice and all but this will not make or break it. Its way better over by the courthouse and in front of 50 liberty
I agree the view is better at 50 Liberty and Moakley but this creates a new harborwalk that I find awesome. It will be even more so once WTC is redeveloped, coming soon.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #796
JANAM

WTC redevelopment story here

Tags
residential, seaport, south boston, tower, waterfront