archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:36 AM   #41
odurandina

Re: Dot Block | Dot Ave, Greenmount St, Hancock St | Dorchester

We can debate about the project getting an improved skin, coloring of the bricks, etc..... Not accusing the majority of peaceful citizens in any way.

but judging from the comments, there are a few Globe readers that undoubtably either function as self-appointed instigators, or require professional attention.

a few from the Occupy crowd appear to have gone totally insane. The die is cast; they ain't coming back.

Paranoia, misery, self-loathing, etc appear to spike around the holidays.

Maybe they can join an evengelical revival mission, Scientology or whatever.

https://mindhacks.com/2016/07/15/the...rban-paranoia/
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #42
statler

statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #43
Suffolk 83

except if you go to deadspin, then always read the comments
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #44

Quote:
There will be a bump in residential units — up to 487 units from the 362 initially approved by the Boston Planning and Development Agency (BPDA).
https://www.dotnews.com/2018/new-pla...ng-green-space
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:40 AM   #45
stick n move

Greeeeat news.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #46
odurandina

At the minimum height this and quite many others should have been planned for all along.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #47
BronsonShore

Posted this in the Bones of Boston thread, but it's even more relevant here. Here's a quick before and after of this project:

From this:

To this:
BronsonShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #48
estyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonShore View Post
Posted this in the Bones of Boston thread, but it's even more relevant here. Here's a quick before and after of this project:

From this:

To this:
That looks out of date to me. I seem to recall that in the approved project there is a signalized intersection at Pleasant and Hancock. I suppose they might have gone to a rotary, but it seems unlikely.

Dorchester seems to have a number of these wierd intersections with an assortment of islands that seem to be traces of some mysterious past.
estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #49
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post
That looks out of date to me. I seem to recall that in the approved project there is a signalized intersection at Pleasant and Hancock. I suppose they might have gone to a rotary, but it seems unlikely.

Dorchester seems to have a number of these wierd intersections with an assortment of islands that seem to be traces of some mysterious past.
I think Kane Square (around the corner), or this little intersection here, was an old trolley yard, so that might be why there's the odd rotary here and that other funny intersection where Hancock hits Bowdoin.

I actually think the rotary/circle would work well and should stay, it just needs some tightening up to slow people down.

Either way, this project will be a big win. Hopefully it will actually look nice, too.

Edit - looked at a 1933 map and this is great - the intersection pictured is Downer Sq, Hancock @ Bowdoin is Kane Sq, Adams @ Bowden is Eaton Sq, and the park is Dorchester Sq. I couldn't find for sure if there was a train garage, but either way, lots of streetcar routes ran thru here so I still think this is why the circles are like this.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #50
estyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
I think Kane Square (around the corner), or this little intersection here, was an old trolley yard, so that might be why there's the odd rotary here and that other funny intersection where Hancock hits Bowdoin.

I actually think the rotary/circle would work well and should stay, it just needs some tightening up to slow people down.

Either way, this project will be a big win. Hopefully it will actually look nice, too.

Edit - looked at a 1933 map and this is great - the intersection pictured is Downer Sq, Hancock @ Bowdoin is Kane Sq, Adams @ Bowden is Eaton Sq, and the park is Dorchester Sq. I couldn't find for sure if there was a train garage, but either way, lots of streetcar routes ran thru here so I still think this is why the circles are like this.
Trolleys make a lot of sense as a cause. Wish we still had 'em.
estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #51
FK4

If you go to mapjunction.com you can seen the old maps showing all the crosstown routes through here. It's awesome.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apartments, dorchester, dot ave, mixed-use, savin hill