archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #341
stick n move

Re: Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower (GCG Phase I) | 50 Sudbury St | Gov't Center

My middle picture stopped working, I reuploaded it. If you zoom in on the ground floor it shows how the back of the tower bumps out over where the hole in the ground would be. The first part is flush with the garage, the next part is wider, then the rear third of the tower is wider and then has an overhang over the sidewalk. Then in the pic a few posts up the bump out on the other side of the rear of the tower hangs over the other side over the garage.

Anyways this is a pretty substantial tower on the skyline, since the towers in the area arent our tallest. This will be a welcomed addition before the much more substantial office tower.

Last edited by stick n move; 12-04-2018 at 08:09 AM.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #342
Justin7

Re: Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower (GCG Phase I) | 50 Sudbury St | Gov't Center

This takes up what, about 10% of the garage footprint? It may look fat, but it feels pretty good about itself.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #343
odurandina

Way under the radar and the slowest GD building in US history.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #344
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
It took forever to get out of the ground, but now seems to be growing at the standard ~1 floor per week pace. It just feels like it's nowhere because the tower needs to pass the 8 story garage structure.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #345
statler

I walk by it every day. It's climbing pretty fast now.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #346
Suffolk 83

Thanks for the pics!
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #347
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
That's enough with the hyperbole. Remember this?

kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #348
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
That's enough with the hyperbole. Remember this?
Ugh it was such a shame that we lost that facade. The revised tower turned out much better than the original proposal at least, and is ushering in bolder projects than we were used to. Still, that ones hurts, as opposed to tearing down part of this parking garage!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #349
odurandina

^^Ya think? roflmao
Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #350
meddlepal

Yea losing that facade really sucks. I wish the city put up more of a fight to preserve it.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #351
DBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlepal View Post
Yea losing that facade really sucks. I wish the city put up more of a fight to preserve it.
I'm pretty sure that legally, it wasn't the City's fight to make, as it was a NPS-protected landmark (tethered to the NPS designation on the adjoining Burnham Bldg., I believe), NOT a Boston Landmarks protected landmark. So what you really meant to say was, "I wish the federal government put up more of a fight..."

Or did you mean to say, "in lieu of the feds having abdicated their responsibility to fight to preserve it, I wish the City would've stepped up to takeover the mission"?

That scenario strikes me as awkward, to say the least...
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #352
statler

At least we got a nice car port in exchange!
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #353
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
At least we got a nice car port in exchange!
It's an interesting thought that after a certain point buildings became essentially immune from facadectomies... you can't do it with a curtain wall.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #354
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswwaa View Post
Don't think this has been posted yet but took a lucky guess with bulfinchcrossing and it worked...

https://app.oxblue.com/open/bulfinchcrossing

You can now see the yellow screen poking out behind the garage from the Hub on Causeway webcam as well. I walked by this last night and it looks like they should be pouring the 6th floor today or tomorrow. (if they haven't already, tough to tell at night between formed and poured) The structure is quite impressive in person.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/bostonpr.../huboncauseway
Old 12-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #355
estyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
I'm pretty sure that legally, it wasn't the City's fight to make, as it was a NPS-protected landmark (tethered to the NPS designation on the adjoining Burnham Bldg., I believe), NOT a Boston Landmarks protected landmark. So what you really meant to say was, "I wish the federal government put up more of a fight..."

Or did you mean to say, "in lieu of the feds having abdicated their responsibility to fight to preserve it, I wish the City would've stepped up to takeover the mission"?

That scenario strikes me as awkward, to say the least...
Actually, the complex was all Landmarked by the Boston Landmarks Commission. Local landmarking is the highest level of protection for a historic building. The NPS can landmark (for example, the Common is a National Historic Landmark) but that doesn't add any review or control to the park, unless very specific state or national level permits, funding, or licensing triggers it.

That said, I hope we all learned from the Millenium project that private companies shouldn't be privatizing big areas near plazas. It's almost as bad as the Intercontinental.
estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #356
odurandina

with our 4 or 5 main photo contributors finally taking a well-earned break.....

(sigh)