archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #3441
tysmith95

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I don't give a crap about bike lanes. Why does this automatically make a city great? I find it to be a loathsome form of transportation, and the vast majority of non bikers agree with me. (just because you won't find them here doesn't make it untrue) Clearly our priorities don't align. But you know what? You are entitled to yours, and I should be entitled to mine as well.
Ever been to Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Bike Lanes, if done right, are the most efficient method of transportation imho.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #3442
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Ever been to Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Bike Lanes, if done right, are the most efficient method of transportation imho.
Nope, but yesterday on the Mass Ave Bridge I witnessed multiple bikes swing into my lane to pass each other, and saw another one riding in the left lane down the middle of the bridge.

Also, a point I have been trying to make is I don't comment on things I don't care about. (or at least, I stopped commenting years ago) I don't care about bicycles. Some of you do, and if that conversation happens to be on a thread I'm interested in, I ignore those posts! If you aren't interested in my opinions, that's fine, but the way that some of you try to silence me is really, dare I say, unamerican.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #3443
cadetcarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I don't give a crap about bike lanes. Why does this automatically make a city great? I find it to be a loathsome form of transportation, and the vast majority of non bikers agree with me. (just because you won't find them here doesn't make it untrue).
I'm not going to waste time trying to defend why forms of mobility other than the car contribute to the quality of a city. You claim to have facts and figures on your side, but reduce urban quality to a single metric as opposed to the many variables that others have pointed out: is it easy to get around? Is it easy to get around if you don't have a car? Is it a good place to live? Are there jobs, are there places to go when you're not working? Are the schools good, if you have children? Is it safe? I like tall buildings as much as any--well, maybe not any--other person who posts here, but to make them the sum of a city's value, to the exclusion of other variables, borders on preposterous.

I'm also troubled by the way you characterize decision-making around this issue. It's not as if Boston is a single entity which looks out at other cities and decides, "I must be taller than that city because I am better." Every project is individual. It's the sum of a site, its needs, the aims of its developer, and the very real limitations imposed by having to be in its specific context. In our case it's the airport, and the quality of the substrate, the depth of bedrock, neighborhood groups (in whom I am also frequently disappointed). The result of this is projects which have undergone a process which yields some of the goals of the developer, some for the city, some for the neighborhood groups, etc. It yields a city with an excellent public realm compared to the nightmares of some other places in this country. It makes Boston beautiful and livable. I don't like NIMBYs or whatever, but if I had to decide, I'd rather this process than unbridled fanaticism for height over everything else.

By the way, there are cities in the world where height and architectural whim dominate the discourse of the public realm. The pictures are nice, but I wouldn't want to breathe the air or try to cross the street there.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #3444
DZH22

To cadetcarl, would you agree that the subway/rails is probably the best overall form of transit into and through the city? I wouldn't want to ride a bike in the snow, rain, or much of the other weather we experience here regularly. So, if rails are important, is it good policy to keep chopping down the projects that are built right next to these subway lines? Did the North Station terminus towers really need to be scaled back? Aren't we doing the city a disservice by constantly downsizing the projects in the best served transit areas that we have?

For Kentxie, here's a diagram to illustrate how preposterous it is to disregard the Tokyo Skytree. I agree with you that Tokyo is clearly on the shorter side for such a major world city, but as I said before the current crop of proposals are all raising that bar. Also note that the tallest buildings are mostly on the newer side.

Make sure you check out where the Hancock fits in. It acquits itself well enough in Tokyo terms, for now.

Capture by David Z, on Flickr
Closed Thread