archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #3321
dotdude78

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAKeith View Post
Bill Galvin was first elected to office in 1975 and has been Secretary of State since 1994, re-elected five times since then with 54 - 82 percent of the general election vote. If there's opposition to what he's doing, it hasn't presented itself.
Um, I don't think anyone considered this topic when voting for him. Stick to elections and public records, Bill.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #3322
dirtywater

There is a reason that Bill Galvin is referred to as the "Prince of Darkness". He is known to be particularly difficult when someone attempts to build something in his neighborhood that he objects to. Here is one example.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #3323
Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
This nut (Bill Galvin) isn't yet giving up his fight to stop Winthrop Square (which, of course, was his aim all along).

https://boston.curbed.com/2017/8/2/1...-square-galvin

Calling the relaxation of the shadow laws “unfortunate,” Galvin told WGBH on July 31 that that change “doesn’t necessarily mean the building is going to be built. There’s still a process to go through, and we’re certainly going to be part of that process.”

Galvin seems ready for a long, drawn-out review of the Winthrop Square tower, which would become New England’s tallest primarily residential building and one of the three tallest in Boston.

His historical commission cannot really eighty-six the plans—which, we should note, enjoy support from other officials, including Boston Mayor Marty Walsh—but it can delay them long enough to jeopardize financing for the project.

His openly declared method to delay the process in an effort to run out the clock has left a dozen skyscrapers unbuilt in the past few years that should already be u/c or up. How surprising that a pathetic figure given a little power promises to do all he can do to stop Boston from conducting its business affairs about a project that has been deliberated, disputed, killed, revived and re-litigated going on past a decade.
Bill Galvin has a lot less power to do anything than he appears to think or that the reporter ascribes to him. He doesn't even have the ability to delay it aside from making noise because its out of scope to what the MHC does. Think about it, if the dude had a compelling case, why are we only hearing about this now even though he gave this interview 3 weeks ago? Its because he's actually a toothless hack. I'd also say it helps that he's considered a laughingstock after his time in the state house. His being involved in the opposition is actually good news given how little regard there is for him.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #3324
JohnAKeith

Opinion piece by Jim Aloisi on "unintended consequences" of building the Winthrop Square tower.

Quote:
... Massport has provided comments on the Winthrop Square project in a letter to Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Matthew Beaton. In those comments, Massport makes the following points: a 775 foot tower at Winthrop Square would penetrate the FAA’s departure corridor for Runway 27, leading airlines to move departures from that runway to Runway 33L. This shifting of operations will shift overflights from communities south of Boston to communities west and north of Boston, thus increasing noise impacts in places such as East Boston, Winthrop, Revere, Chelsea, and Everett.

Let me put this in plain English: the proposed 775 foot tower will degrade quality of life in places such as East Boston – and in communities to the west and north of Boston – because it will require flights to shift to Runway 33L, thus increasing noise impacts in those communities. The tower will also likely cause cascading delays for travelers in and out of Logan because it will put inordinate stress on one runway at the expense of another.
More: https://commonwealthmagazine.org/eco...-consequences/
Old 09-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #3325
chrisbrat

yeah... as frustrating as it is for anyone who's *not* anti-height at all costs, i'll just be really surprised if this thing ever happens at even kind of the proposed height. millenium (or someone else, eventually, if this current proposal dies) will put up something around 700' instead and nothing will ever really break the financial district plateau (unless you feel that MT already did -- which, from some angles, it has, but not dramatically).
Old 09-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #3326
bigpicture7

We should have no issue with a 700', or a 675', or a 650' tower at this site. The point is to maximize use of a blighted, abandoned garage parcel...with a public realm, and dense multi-use development. I'm surprised Millennium has sustained the 775' rhetoric as long as it has...I thought that was just gamesmanship to make it seem like they were giving something up when they announce its actual height. Maybe it still is.

Meanwhile, there are other places in the city much better suited for skyline-altering height. To the west of gov. ctr, and in the back bay high spine.

We need to move on from thinking about dramatic height at this parcel.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #3327
chrisbrat

don't necessarily disagree and i don't have a huge hard-on for height just for height's sake. that said, i think that breaking the homogeneity of the financial district by having one building standing (literally) apart from the pack would be an overall improvement, aesthetically.

regardless -- yes, that parcel absolutely needs to be utilized to maximum effect, whatever that final use is.

and who knows? millenium has proven it can be both crafty and persuasive. maybe they can somehow pull this off.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #3328
KentXie

Let me put this in plain English. The use of "shade" as any excuse for any development on parks in Boston is absolutely bullshit considering there are cities such as Seattle that have to deal with significantly many more cloudy days that deprive their parks of sunlight yet none of them are deprive of foliage. Boston is NOT a city deprived of sunlight.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #3329
stick n move

They don't care what happens in other cities they care about shade on the Boston common. That being said they need to take the hours into consideration as the sun moves and it is not a static shadow. That comment about the flight path being moved sounds like they pulled that out of their ass. From East Boston this tower is barely going to stick above the skyline and no runway goes directly over downtown. Also remember I made those two renders from East Boston that is not exact.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #3330
nm88

Maybe a naive question: does 75 feet mean that much to Millennium? Is it that meaningful? If it makes the difference?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #3331
stefalarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 View Post
Maybe a naive question: does 75 feet mean that much to Millennium? Is it that meaningful? If it makes the difference?
I don't think anyone except Millennium knows the exact square footage that would be lost, but the 150 million or so they promised to pay for the garage is dependent on the amount of square footage built (with 150m being the max). Lower height would mean less money for the city. I expect that to have bad publicity in the general public for both Millennium for paying less than the 150 million (widely used on the globe and other news sites) and bad for the city for not standing firm on the original price, and decreasing funds for city-wide public space improvements promised from the expected income.

EDIT: for more specifics, MP will pay $100m once shovels are in the ground, and then $100/sq. Ft. of saleable residential space (up to 507,960 per RFP response)

Last edited by stefalarchitect; 09-11-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #3332
stick n move

I feel like the natural process is bickering back and forth where usually the city throws them a bone and knocks a few feet off, but Millennium built in a fail safe as detailed above. So I think this will go through as is height wise, but Millennium said that this design is not the final iteration and it will look different than the renders in the finished product.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:09 AM   #3333
odurandina

i was told 2 years ago, the absolute tallest exists within a range of 725-740'.

O'Brien proposed 740' before he withdrew HYM from competition. He didn't propose 765', because he knew that eagle can't fly.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #3334
Rover

Agreed on the gamesmanship angle. FAA cuts the height down to 740 lets say. Its still the tallest downtown building by a about 50 feet but NIMBY's get to claim they got the height lowered to "SAVE THE COMMON" since drug dealers and bums need that extra sunlight at 7 AM in December to do their thing. Developer most likely already has this taken into account and makes dramatic offer to keep 153M payment even though it was based on 775 height. Everybody gets something and goes home happy.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #3335
citylover94

Based on the FAA height proposal for this building the actual height to the roof from the ground level is 758 feet and it is 777 feet above sea level.

Source

I think this might mean the building was never as tall as Millennium claimed they just used the height from sea level instead of the actual building height. The FAA still hasn't approved the building and IDK if the height restrictions are based on height above sea level but this seemed interesting to me.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #3336
Man about town

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefalarchitect View Post
I don't think anyone except Millennium knows the exact square footage that would be lost, but the 150 million or so they promised to pay for the garage is dependent on the amount of square footage built (with 150m being the max). Lower height would mean less money for the city. I expect that to have bad publicity in the general public for both Millennium for paying less than the 150 million (widely used on the globe and other news sites) and bad for the city for not standing firm on the original price, and decreasing funds for city-wide public space improvements promised from the expected income.

EDIT: for more specifics, MP will pay $100m once shovels are in the ground, and then $100/sq. Ft. of saleable residential space (up to 507,960 per RFP response)
Worth noting: The second, $51 million, tranch of payments to the city is based on condo sales. The building is a mix of condos and office and Millennium still has some flexibility on how much they devote to each use. If they lose, say, 50 feet, they could take that out of office space instead of condos, depending on how they see the market at the time.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #3337
odurandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
Based on the FAA height proposal for this building the actual height to the roof from the ground level is 758 feet and it is 777 feet above sea level.

Source

I think this might mean the building was never as tall as Millennium claimed they just used the height from sea level instead of the actual building height.
i realize this is blasphemy.

but, i little bird told me MT is in fact, only 677' and not 685'.

the top of the little pole on the roof is right at 700'.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #3338
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
i realize this is blasphemy.

but, i little bird told me MT is in fact, only 677' and not 685'.
The 677' is measured to Washington Street. Official height begins measurement at the lowest point of a building, in this case, Hawley Street. Hence the extra 8'.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #3339

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...t8K/story.html
Old 09-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #3340
DZH22

Another disappointing result for Boston. I wonder if 702' is the tip or if it will still rise closer to that 725' with mech.

Once Walsh gets reelected, it's time to start getting serious about building a new tallest in either Back Bay or West End area! I can't think of a single city on Earth that deserves a new tallest building more than Boston, given its clout, healthy economy, 40+ gap since the Hancock was built, and general shortness compared to many lesser US and world cities. While San Francisco goes 1070', we can't even get something within 300' of that. It's really sad.

Worst part is, this tower was already fat enough. Just wait until it pushes down the proportions!
Closed Thread