archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #341
sm89

Re: Biking the Boston 'Burbs (Trails, MDC, & Towns beyond Hubway area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Arlington will probably focus its Hubways on Mass Ave--maybe the Rink/Summer St--rather than the bike path--when locating its stations to de-emphasize commuting and make shopping/Post Office/Town Hall stuff more the focus.
I know they were considering Hubway, but have the committed to it?

Does anyone know the status of other municipalities joining the system? I've heard rumors of Newton and Medford over the past few months.

There are a lot of new stations and expansions in the existing towns coming up with the new operating contract they announced a month or so ago. I wonder if they are waiting for this to happen first?
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #342
ceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo View Post
That's awesome! Why do they need to replace the rail bridge, though?
Did a little research. Per this article, the 1265 Main developers' plans for new on- and off-ramps from 117 to I-95 require the existing bridge to be demolished. But, the maps and videos on the 1265 Main site show the bike path going across the existing bridge, and in fact neither of the new ramps encroaches on the bridge: they want to extend Green St south into the Rte. 20 ramp system to provide access to I-95 NB and SB, with an additional ramp from 117 to I-95 NB.
Interestingly, they also want to relocate the Kendal Green commuter rail stop to right behind the retirement home just east of the Waltham/Weston line, with a new road along the Central Mass. ROW connecting it to Green St.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #343
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
I know they were considering Hubway, but have the committed to it?

Does anyone know the status of other municipalities joining the system? I've heard rumors of Newton and Medford over the past few months.

There are a lot of new stations and expansions in the existing towns coming up with the new operating contract they announced a month or so ago. I wonder if they are waiting for this to happen first?
The town of Arlington has not had any official progress since January (when Hubway was the leading contender and they were seeking community input)

I could see Medford begging Somerville to put a station at the Medford Whole Foods (part of the parking lot is in Somerville), but I think Medford has its hands full getting the Clippership Connector built (along the Mystic on City/State property)

MEDFORD UPDATE

Medford has a couple of complete streets pilot projects. One of them would add a bike lane to inbound Boston Ave in West Medford (pointing towards Tufts) when the street undergoes and upcoming repaving. This is a bigger political deal (progress) given that Medford has
precious few bike lanes on its own streets (a tiny strip from Winchester to the High School where the thermoplastic crumbled off within 1 season) and few even on DCR roads (there's one on the Fellsway West where it is not near anyone's homes)

The other item that the Mayor is working on is cobbling together city & foundation money to build the Clippership Conector along land that is in various (but friendly) hands (DCR, MassDOT, City, & City Housing Auth)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #344
Balerion

Input wanted on new Weston rail trail

Quote:
Before long, Weston will have a brand new recreation area that, if well designed, will be enjoyed by lots of Weston residents doing lots of different things.

Yes, Weston will soon have a Rail Trail, a multi-use paved path, 10 feet wide, along the 100-foot-wide abandoned right-of-way of the defunct Central Massachusetts Railroad. Think of this as a long, thin recreational park.

RTAC verified that portions of the right-of-way currently used by equestrians could continue to be used in that manner after the new trail is in place.

RTAC has overseen a preliminary engineering study of a tunnel under Conant Road, where the trail route is currently blocked. It is also starting to consider how the trail should be continued to the Waltham border, a distance under a quarter mile.
The article has no mention of NIMBY opposition, but given that it's Weston there must be some grumbling about this, no?

Given the progress of Waltham's Wayside trail and possibly the Belmont Community Path, this could be a really long and nifty corridor.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #345
cden4

My only requirement is that it's easy for me to access people's backyards so I can steal all their fancy TVs and take them on my bike back to the city :-D
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #346
Roxxma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
My only requirement is that it's easy for me to access people's backyards so I can steal all their fancy TVs and take them on my bike back to the city :-D
I remember that being an argument at a Selectmen's meeting in Lexington when the Minuteman was proposed. I was in high school at the time and remember my biology teacher, a Watertown native who had a thing against "snooty towns" (not to mention, Lexington was our school's rival, so I think he was coming at it from that angle -either his brother or best friend taught at LHS, so they exploited a friendly rivalry), having a field day with that argument and how illogical it was. Thankfully, Lexington's Board of Selectmen was a bit wiser than some of its NIMBYs.
Roxxma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #347
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
Isnt that what bike trails are for?
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #348
FK4

This is a bit of an aside, but over the past two years I've visited Hudson on the way back from apple picking and it's really blowing up - lots of new small businesses, and young people everywhere in them; the main street (which is Main St) has seriously revitalized over the past 10 years but accelerated over the past 2 and remarkably so. I'm not really sure what's driving this since Hudson is pretty remote. It might just be 495 businesses and people getting priced out of the city and deciding to live in an affordable revitalizing mill town. Anyway, the Assabet Trail runs right through town, but if they ever get the Mass Central laid out, it would be a pretty be HUGE for Hudson. Worth checking out.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #349
CBCArch61

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
This is a bit of an aside, but over the past two years I've visited Hudson on the way back from apple picking and it's really blowing up - lots of new small businesses, and young people everywhere in them; the main street (which is Main St) has seriously revitalized over the past 10 years but accelerated over the past 2 and remarkably so. I'm not really sure what's driving this since Hudson is pretty remote. It might just be 495 businesses and people getting priced out of the city and deciding to live in an affordable revitalizing mill town. Anyway, the Assabet Trail runs right through town, but if they ever get the Mass Central laid out, it would be a pretty be HUGE for Hudson. Worth checking out.
I grew up in Lancaster (2 towns over from Hudson) and the transformation has been incredible. They've been doing a lot of road improvements that make getting to downtown from 495 a ton easier. I remember the Assabet Trail took forever to finish over on the east side of town due to reconstructing an old bridge. Ive never rode it myself but hear good things. If you ever have time, I would recommend the Rail Trail Flat Bread Company on Main, delicious!
CBCArch61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #350
FK4

^Thanks!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #351
elemenoh

Has anyone here heard of VBikes? Apparently they're a Dallas-based stationless bike rental company that's looking to open in some of the non-Hubway towns and out on Cape Cod.

I'm wondering if any MA towns have put in place regulations for these rental schemes, since otherwise it sounds like they can just put the bikes out and start operating.
elemenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #352
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoh View Post
Has anyone here heard of VBikes? Apparently they're a Dallas-based stationless bike rental company that's looking to open in some of the non-Hubway towns and out on Cape Cod.

I'm wondering if any MA towns have put in place regulations for these rental schemes, since otherwise it sounds like they can just put the bikes out and start operating.
I don't know how this has worked out in the US, but in China these stationless rentals have become an enormous nuisance in most major cities. Bikes randomly abandoned all over public spaces and private property. Huge pushback is ensuing.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #353
Balerion

Rail trail update in Swampscott

Quote:
Town officials have received nine proposals from design firms to advance their plans for the construction of a rail trail.
Quote:
The two-plus mile 10-foot wide trail will run from Swampscott Train Station to the Marblehead line at Seaview Avenue, connecting with the Marblehead Rail Trail, which also links to trails in Salem.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #354
elemenoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
I don't know how this has worked out in the US, but in China these stationless rentals have become an enormous nuisance in most major cities. Bikes randomly abandoned all over public spaces and private property. Huge pushback is ensuing.
Worcester just launched a dockless system with Ofo this weekend:
Bike-sharing company ofo puts 400 bicycles in Worcester: Here's how you can rent one for $1 an hour
Quote:
The China-based company officially launched in Worcester on Thursday, unloading 200 of their iconic yellow bikes on the Common...
For the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce, which last year prioritized bike-sharing as a needed Worcester amenity, the ofo move is a big win because the city won't have to pay for any infrastructure.
elemenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #355
Arlington

Winchester-Stoneham-Woburn Tri-Community Greenway continues to have brisk construction progress:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TriCommu...eenway/photos/

from their website (http://www.tricommunitygreenway.org/), they report:
Quote:
November: Construction continues. Currently, most construction is happening in Woburn. The majority of the main path in Winchester is complete, except for a small section near 620 Washington Street. October construction was mainly along the old railroad right-of-way in Woburn between Central Street and the city line. Construction has also started in Stoneham with grubbing along the path for roots, etc. for the path bed. Construction for the path will continue as long as it is warm enough for paving to be done, and then the contractor will work on installing the new bridge over the Aberjona River in Woburn, as long as the weather permits.

October: Construction is finishing up in Winchester and the path bed is being prepared and filled along the railroad right-of-way in Woburn. Tree work is also being done in Stoneham.