archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #201
markhb

Re: Thompson's Point, Portland

I am not sure that UPP's business model is less predatory than "see this big parking lot that's empty all weekend? Park in it and see how much it takes to get your car back," the long-standing Portland parking protocol.

I went into the planning office to take a look at the initial plans for the Children's Museum move to Thompson's Point. I couldn't get the PDF's downloaded, but I snapped screenshots.

First, the location plan. West is up in this one; it's going to go on the !-295 side of "Brick South" (the one that doesn't have all the bars).

Next. the North and South elevations. Main entrance will be on the south side it seems.

West Elevation:

East Elevation (the view from I-295, so likely the most important from a branding perspective)

The Dalek on the top in this one is the camera oscura; I can't imagine the view will be nearly as interesting as the one from Free St.

They mainly describe two external materials: "Storefront," which I assume is typical plate glass, and a quasi-rustic wood finish for the rest of it. Especially for a childrens' museum, it actually sounds pretty ugly.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #202
Portlander

Just shy of 30,000 SF, not bad and larger than I was expecting.
Portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #203
PortlandArch

I wonder if this will revive plans to develop the adjacent parking lot (which I believe is under separate ownership but the vacancy of the CM may open up some possibilities). There were plans back in the 1980s (which I know about despite my age thanks to Portlander) to develop that site, and I continue to think it would be one of the most marketable residential projects in the state if it were developed. The upper floors would have unobstructed views to the harbor and sea beyond, and Starbucks, the PMA, and First Friday Art Walk would literally be at your front door ... not to mention all of the other amenities that come with living downtown in general (i.e., Old Port a bike ride away). If I won the lottery, you'd see a high-end building there in the next two years.
PortlandArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #204
Cosakita18

Found this on listing by CBRE / Boulos Company

a 5 story, 60,000 sf "build to suit" office building at Thompson's point.
building is listed as having an availability date of July 2018

full details:
http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...linkcode=31731

Cosakita18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #205
SHAZBAT73

Good find Cosakita18. Hopefully we will be seeing more detailed plans for this on the city's planning board page.
SHAZBAT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #206
Cosakita18

According to Munjoy Hill News, Plans have been filed for a 148 room hotel at Thompsons Point. They hope to break ground in 2018

http://munjoyhillnews.net/thompsons-...orkinprogress/

The only image available online shows a fairly unique industrial / art deco design for the hotel.

Last edited by Cosakita18; 11-08-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #207
Cosakita18

Full PPH article and more renderings

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/11/0...ompsons-point/

Quote:
Developers plan to start construction next spring, to coincide with construction of a new building for the Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine and a shared roadway and infrastructure.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #208
markhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosakita18 View Post
Found this on listing by CBRE / Boulos Company

a 5 story, 60,000 sf "build to suit" office building at Thompson's point.
building is listed as having an availability date of July 2018

full details:
http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...linkcode=31731
Most interesting to me, from the full packet on that Loopnet page, is the latest overall site plan for TP. Note that they've pushed the hotel down near the point; I believe it was originally going to be in the Building D area.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #209
Dr. StrangeHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhb View Post
Most interesting to me, from the full packet on that Loopnet page, is the latest overall site plan for TP. Note that they've pushed the hotel down near the point; I believe it was originally going to be in the Building D area.

The hotel is ending up where Building E is noted in that image, in between Brick South and the concert venue, as the article describes.
Dr. StrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #210
markhb

Yes, as I meant when I said "further down the point". This earlier map, still on the Thompson's Point website, shows it in the position of Building D.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #211
Cosakita18

As far as I understand, the hotel was downsized based on the area's hotel demand (influx of other new hotels on the peninsula) and the residential component was made more prominent and moved up in the development timeline. Originally they were planning on about 60 housing units, but I think that's increased to around 100-120 now.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #212
mainejeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosakita18 View Post
As far as I understand, the hotel was downsized based on the area's hotel demand (influx of other new hotels on the peninsula) and the residential component was made more prominent and moved up in the development timeline. Originally they were planning on about 60 housing units, but I think that's increased to around 100-120 now.
Good move.
mainejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #213
Cosakita18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
Good move.
It really is. Considering that it's looking more and more like Midtown will never get off the ground, Thompsons Point is probably the best site in the city for a large influx of market rate housing.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #214
Dr. StrangeHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhb View Post
Yes, as I meant when I said "further down the point". This earlier map, still on the Thompson's Point website, shows it in the position of Building D.
I totally misread what you wrote. Sorry about that.
Dr. StrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote