archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #1741
BostonBoy

Re: Regional Rail (including North-South Rail Link)

Does the study advocate the "Urban Ring"? I have always believed a cheap way to alleviate traffic in the Seaport was to initiate a shuttle from there to Back Bay, and then incorporate it into the Grand Junction renewal. It would connect the Convention Center to the Hynes Auditorium, and then connect the Back Bay to Kendall Square, North Point and North Station, while also providing commuter service to North Station from Worcester. It should be established before the Turnpike viaduct is re-built or that opportunity will become much more expensive
BostonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM   #1742
SeamusMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneijder View Post
Just seems silly to look at full electrification and a full EMU fleet right now. Fairly clear that the north side will probably be electrified 10+ years after the south side, and the outer zones of the franklin line and greenbush/plymouth (with single-tracked service) probably don't justify electric service yet (if ever). Heck, doing every line inside 128 (either south only or both north/south) for EMU short-turns would be a cost that is much easier to swallow, with dual-modes providing service outside 128, switching from electric to diesel power (just like the New Haven Line branches).

That order for 1500 EMU's in one shot is such a joke. Never happening.
Well. You don't buy 1500 cars and expect delivery of 1500 cars at once.
You buy a contract for 1500 cars at a set price (typically a better price for buying in bulk), and accept delivery of cars incrementally. 10 years isn't that long of a time frame when building this many EMU's and rolling them out on separate lines. By the time northside is ready to go, you got new rolling stock coming off the assembly line to satisfy that need.

See orange/red car procurement....
SeamusMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #1743
fattony

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
This is why the focus needs to be on an incremental approach, such as the method described in the TransitMatters white paper. There is no reason we can't start with alternative one and through phases work toward subsequent alternatives. This presentation is a mess.
I don't think what they've shown exactly precludes or undermines an incremental approach. They costed the alternatives at full-build, but I think it goes without saying that it won't be built in a day or even just a couple of years. At least that should be obvious to the people involved in making and evaluating these comparisons. It is probably not clear to the public, lawmakers, nor the journalists who are going to convey this to the public and lawmakers.

To my eye, Alternative 7 is clearly what the MBTA wants to pursue. No doubt these concept solutions, with uniform application of concepts with very little nuance, are ultimately all strawmen and the only price tag we need to care about is Alternative 7.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #1744
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
I don't think what they've shown exactly precludes or undermines an incremental approach. They costed the alternatives at full-build, but I think it goes without saying that it won't be built in a day or even just a couple of years. At least that should be obvious to the people involved in making and evaluating these comparisons. It is probably not clear to the public, lawmakers, nor the journalists who are going to convey this to the public and lawmakers.

To my eye, Alternative 7 is clearly what the MBTA wants to pursue. No doubt these concept solutions, with uniform application of concepts with very little nuance, are ultimately all strawmen and the only price tag we need to care about is Alternative 7.
The only "vision" is Alt 6. Anything other than Alt 6 for the Rail VISION study is a joke. From the beginning, they said the VISION would not be constrained by cost or time nor would it be a formal planning study, yet here they are constraining the VISION. The vision should be set at fully electrified rail service. If MassDOT wants to fight and whittle it down in the subsequent feasibility and planning studies, then fine. But a VISION other than Alt 6 is unacceptable.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM   #1745
stick n move

Oh ok so 6 is NSRL. Theyre planning out to 2040, do they even have a choice? Can anyone imagine not even starting nsrl until after 2040. They have no choice, so I expect it to finally be in play. Its not even an option the discussion has to only be how... Anything less is a DISASTER. Traffic is now the worst in the US, its funny now, but there will be a direct economic consequence of this... and everyone knows the answer to how to fix it and absolutely turbocharge the economy/workforce in the process.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #1746
George_Apley

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
The only "vision" is Alt 6. Anything other than Alt 6 for the Rail VISION study is a joke. From the beginning, they said the VISION would not be constrained by cost or time nor would it be a formal planning study, yet here they are constraining the VISION. The vision should be set at fully electrified rail service. If MassDOT wants to fight and whittle it down in the subsequent feasibility and planning studies, then fine. But a VISION other than Alt 6 is unacceptable.
This is a good point. The semantics and optics of the study are important. Vision should be about reaching for maximum possibilities. DOT shouldn't be allowed to lower expectations so far so fast.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #1747
stick n move

Absolutely if nsrl is not in the cards until after 2040 that is the biggest mistake in Bostons history. I dont care what it takes but if it means drastic measures there is no choice. There is no choice.

Nsrl is BARE MINIMUM. From there they can wiggle around with multi modal locomotives as a stop gap and electrify as we go... thats fine if need be.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #1748
Coyote137

Send a message via AIM to Coyote137

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
Oh ok so 6 is NSRL. Theyre planning out to 2040, do they even have a choice? Can anyone imagine not even starting nsrl until after 2040. They have no choice, so I expect it to finally be in play. Its not even an option the discussion has to only be how... Anything less is a DISASTER. Traffic is now the worst in the US, its funny now, but there will be a direct economic consequence of this... and everyone knows the answer to how to fix it and absolutely turbocharge the economy/workforce in the process.
You're funny. So long as Charlie's in charge, that ain't gonna happen.
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #1749
Tallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
I'm with you on the sandbagging, but the MBTA had nothing to do with this study.
And where did MDOT get it's data?
Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM   #1750
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy View Post
And where did MDOT get it's data?
The estimating was done by a third party.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #1751
Tallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
The estimating was done by a third party.
Uh-huh.
Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #1752
jklo

My take is that the MBTA is saying that they don't want to do electrification. Which I find surprising.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #1753
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
My take is that the MBTA is saying that they don't want to do electrification. Which I find surprising.
Really, when your unions are full of diesel mechanics?