archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #3321
shmessy

Re: Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portlander View Post
Don't be too down, they are in the mall area where quality architecture and classic design are not that important.
Are humanoids exposed to it?

I'm not even talking "quality" architecture or "classic design" - - - architecture THAT misanthropic should be declared unsafe by the CDC.

I thought Portland was aiming higher than Biloxi, Mississippi.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #3322
Portlander

The buildings are actually located in South Portland.
Portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #3323
shmessy

Quote:
The buildings are actually located in South Portland.
The point is.......?

Look if those were new mall buildings in Malden I'd be upset. Treating South Portland like Bangladesh doesn't say much for Portland.

Portland and its environs are better than that.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #3324
markhb

Quote:
The white exterior with green trim looks like a hotel that belongs in south Florida or the caribbean : ) Used to be even more white until they toned down a few shades many years ago. Anything "should" be an improvement.
Honestly, the whole "looks like it belongs in Florida" thing has never made sense to me (and this isn't an attack on you, it's my personal taste). I see nothing wrong with having a big white hotel in Portland. The Commerce and Chapman buildings certainly didn't match anything else that was standing in the city when they were built .
Old 09-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #3325
Portlander

The Fidelity Building, Masonic Building and City Hall all went up around the the same time (1909-11) with the similar limestone exteriors and the Chapman Building didn't arrive until 13 years later. With the exception of the Chapman 2 story addition in 1963, all four of those structures are considered to be architectural landmarks. I doubt the Holiday Inn will ever fall into this category or be included in positive discussions concerning it's design and visual merit.

I actually don't mind the hotel in it's current state and have defended it's appearance many times over the years especially against my brother who lays over there as an airline pilot and really dislikes it. It's entry into the downtown hospitality market in the early 70's was huge for the city with it's 239 rooms and impressive convention capabilities. I am just hoping the makeover improves it visually and adds a few decades to it's life before it becomes elderly housing.

I respect your taste and opinion but you may be in the minority when it come to actual fans of this particular structure : )

Last edited by Portlander; 09-08-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #3326
TC_zoid

If they put a rooftop bar enclosed in all glass that would be cool. It shouldn't effect the height as the two opposite mechanical rooms are at least two stories. (Bummed the new AC Marriott doesn't have a pool and rooftop bar -- a perfect viewpoint for that.)
TC_zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #3327
TC_zoid

Was in town a couple of days ago and took a couple of good pics of the East End waterfront construction. Who can I email those to for posting?
TC_zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:33 PM   #3328
markhb

Quote:
The Fidelity Building, Masonic Building and City Hall all went up around the the same time (1909-11) with the similar limestone exteriors and the Chapman Building didn't arrive until 13 years later. With the exception of the Chapman 2 story addition in 1963, all four of those structures are considered to be architectural landmarks. I doubt the Holiday Inn will ever fall into this category or be included in positive discussions concerning it's design and visual merit.

I respect your taste and opinion but you may be in the minority when it come to actual fans of this particular structure : )
I wasn't saying that the Holiday Inn would fall into the same historical category as the others I mentioned, I was just pointing out that they were a very marked contrast in height and materials to the city of 6-story post-fire brick buildings they grew up in.

And as to your final point, I'm used to it... I happen to love Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice .
Old 09-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #3329
SHAZBAT73

Quote:
I'm a fan of the Holiday Inn staying just the way it is!
SHAZBAT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #3330
SHAZBAT73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_zoid View Post
Was in town a couple of days ago and took a couple of good pics of the East End waterfront construction. Who can I email those to for posting?
TC - I can post them for you. axeman19n@yahoo.com
Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #3331
SHAZBAT73

Eastern Waterfront construction photos taken by TC zoid:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_zoid View Post
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #3332
Cosakita18

Bit of older news but USM is looking to build a large Arts Center on their Portland campus:

http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/2018...ortland-campus

Quote:
"This generous gift enables USM to take the next step toward realizing our dream of building a new Center for the Arts at USM in Portland," Cummings said in the release. "The time has come to create a visual and performing arts facility on our Portland campus that showcases the exceptional talents of our students and faculty, and opens the door to wider arts and cultural engagement in Maine and beyond."
The gifts are in keeping with USM's master plan, approved by the University of Maine System Board of Trustees in early 2017, to modernize its Portland campus, including initiatives like a new dormitory, a bigger, brighter student center, and a green hub of activity surrounded by modern buildings.
Good to see growth at USM. Their campus master plan makes me wonder if Oakhurst will ever sell their very cramped and increasingly out of place facility on Forest Ave.
Cosakita18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM   #3333
Portlander

City Council unanimously approved the new garage on Fore Street which will include retail on ground level and office space on the top floor. No renderings were included with the PPH article so I have no idea what it's going to look like.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #3334
Dr. StrangeHat

Quote:
City Council unanimously approved the new garage on Fore Street which will include retail on ground level and office space on the top floor. No renderings were included with the PPH article so I have no idea what it's going to look like.
http://www.portlandmaine.gov/AgendaC...7?fileID=37472

No renderings, but some site plans and massings beginning on page 74
Dr. StrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #3335
Portlander

Good stuff Dr. StrangeHat. I like the Mountfort Street extension plan and reading all of the anti development letters, thanks!