archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #3781
shmessy

Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
^ Emphasis mine. This may be where the disconnect is. I understand your desire for sculpture and authenticity, but I think for many people great urbanism is a large part of what makes great architecture....
Took the words right out of my mouth, Justin.

I don't understand why the two concepts would be mutually exclusive.

A beautiful piece of urban architecture need not be out of context to its surroundings. In fact it is enhanced if it compliments its environs...... and vice-versa.

A vibrant city is a SOCIAL organism.

"Look at me" architecture works best at highway truck stops and Dubai.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #3782
CSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
I agree, it is good urbanism, and will be a catalyst for activity in the entire district. But I think we can all agree, great urbanism and great architecture are two very different things.
I'm willing to believe that BB may have meant, "...good urbanism and good architecture are distinct concepts, though they are deeply intermingled with eachother...."

Which is not the same thing as saying that "good urbanism is necessary but not sufficient for good architecture", ....although he might have meant that as well.

However, I imagine we can all agree that, "good architecture is neither necessary not sufficient for good urbanism".

...All seems pretty straightforward to me...
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #3783
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
"(G)ood architecture is neither necessary not sufficient for good urbanism."
Yes! An enriching urban environment can exist in the complete absence of any coherent design agenda -- a favorite example is Davis Square.

Quote:
"(G)ood urbanism and good architecture are distinct concepts, though they are deeply intermingled with eachother."
There are intrinsic links between how things look, and how they are understood, adopted, used, and reused. This axiom reaches far beyond the world of architecture and urbanism. My only caveat is that the "deep intermingling" you suggest is a best case scenario; we all might be happier if it was a cultural mandate. As you astutely suggest below:

Quote:
"(G)ood urbanism is necessary but not sufficient for good architecture."
There are pathbreaking works of architecture in Boston that are outrageous urbanistic failures -- need I name them? Today, high design in an urban setting must be seen through Jane Jacobs' microscope.

~ Justin7

Last edited by Beton Brut; 02-19-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM   #3784
stick n move

Looking in The Omni thread this hit me... If you think about it, something along the lines of The Omni is definitely what probably would have been built in place of the Hub on Causeway, if they had not gone for the industrial look. I think this design works on the smaller plot in the Seaport also surrounded by glass, but built on the scale of the the old Garden lot and in the Bulfinch Triangle it would not have fit at all IMO. A couple precast and glass towers on top of a 2 part glass podium is absolutely something that we could have gotten here instead if they had gone modern glass. Although its not "perfect" I think the hub goes much better with the area it is in.

stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north station, td garden