archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #41
bakgwailo

Re: MBTA is Considering a Complete Green Line Replacement.

I would vote that this thread should probably be closed given the existing thread already for this, and the article is 2 years old.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #42
odurandina

i've been mystified as to why regular/older GL cars can't work on the Ashmont–Mattapan High Speed....

why not use the type _ cars until they get bashed in/ destroyed?

is it not practical to run em into the ground?

or do they cause far too much trouble as they wear out?
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #43
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
i've been mystified as to why regular/older GL cars can't work on the Ashmont–Mattapan High Speed....

why not use the type _ cars until they get bashed in/ destroyed?

is it not practical to run em into the ground?

or do they cause far too much trouble as they wear out?
AFIAK, it would require some upgrades to bridges for weight concerns and power upgrades. The loop at Ashmont is also pretty tight (but should make it, I think), and the Mattapan work yard/hut/house would need to be redone to support the longer rolling stock/maintence. Totally doable, and hopefully what happens in the future (run a mix of PCCs and Type-7s as they are 'retired').
Old 07-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #44
odurandina

Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

i always thought ALL GL trolleys basically lived until they were crashed by meteors and such.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #45
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
i always thought ALL GL trolleys basically lived until they were crashed by meteors and such.
I think it skips generations. PCCs forever, then the Boings not so much, the Type-7s seem to be more PCC level, and the Type-8s can't be gone soon enough.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #46
Jahvon09

Well, I thank that I've read that the T is contemplating replacing the Mattapan High-speed Line by extending the Red Line through that spot with the Red Line, taking over, so.

Last edited by Jahvon09; 07-13-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #47
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
AFIAK, it would require some upgrades to bridges for weight concerns and power upgrades
This.

Same goes for why the steel part of the Lechmere viaduct has to be replaced (trains get heavier and more power-hungry as they've already gotten about 2x to 4x longer and heavier than the original PCCs (as used @ Mattapan) and this next-gen trainset gets longer still), and why the concrete part needs upgrading structurally and for power delivery.

Last edited by Arlington; 07-13-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #48
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahvon09 View Post
Well, I thank that I've read that the T is contemplating replacing the Mattapan High-speed Line by extending the Red Line through that spot with the Red Line, taking over, so.
That is by far the most unlikely result that will come out of the replacement study - well, full red line conversion or bustitution are booth equally unlikely. As a daily user, I am just hoping to get the hand me down type-7s as that seems like the best solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
This.

Same goes for why the steel part of the Lechmere viaduct has to be replaced (trains get heavier and more power-hungry as they've already gotten about 2x to 4x longer and heavier than the original PCCs (as used @ Mattapan) and this next-gen trainset gets longer still), and why the concrete part needs upgrading structurally and for power delivery.
Yes, I was pretty shocked when I read that the current Lechmere viaduct can only support one train in each direction at a time.