archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #2101
HenryAlan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rozzie Square
Posts: 2,024
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
I can't believe I'm responding to this comment.

If 99 is very congested now then how will a 2.5 Billion dollar entertainment venue development which is only allowed in and out access from 99 going to help the scenario?

"How is that related to will the casino add congestion to the area? " Its common sense.
Sigh. The current congestion has nothing to do with the casino. Therefore, it has nothing to do with a discussion about whether or not the casino will add to congestion. You're right, I can't believe we are having a conversation in which you keep saying because A, therefore B, when A and B are unrelated. The discussion regards whether the casino adds to congestion. If the casino adds traffic at congested times, then yes, it will make congestion worse. However, I do not think it will add significantly to traffic most of the time, hence my statement about shared rides. Regardless, it does not control the base line, so your point, which is only about the baseline, is completely moot.

(and in case you are wondering, the cost for building the casino also has nothing to do with whether or not it leads to gridlock)
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #2102
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,700
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

[Challenging the MagicMan's "common sense" with "actual data"]

SugarHouse Casino
(Philadelphia urban central waterfront..similar to Everett)
1001 N Delaware Ave,
Philadelphia, PA 19125
https://g.co/kgs/Gcs1G6

Click link, above, and scroll down and look up the popular times for a metropolitan core "seaport/waterfront" Casino throughout its week.

1) Monday through Thursday are not where the traffic comes from or what their business model relies on. Very low traffic all day long very evenly spread throughout the day. You will never notice it Mon through Thurs

2) Fridays it slowly builds throughout the day, with a peak at 10 p.m. There is no rush hour at a casino. No tipoff/faceoff time, and no final buzzer. Even on a busy day it is a smooth build that happens far away from any commuting times.

3) Weekends are busy--exactly when there is no rush hour to contend with for exactly the reason that people are not going to their office jobs.

Then ask yourself when route 99 is typically busy? it is NOT crushed 24-hour a day crush. 99 is busy at the morning and evening rush hours which is a time at which casinos generate basically no discernible incremental traffic.
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn

Last edited by Arlington; 05-10-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #2103
tangent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,709
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Well, the opening delay could definitely be related to the state's investigations into the suitability and disclosure requirements.

My humble suggestion would be that it is time for the state to agree to put that $35 million fine back into additional improvements in the area rather than let it disappear into the general fund without any linkage.

A lawsuit by Wynn against the state for levying this fine would be yet another distraction and be a negative impact on the success of this thing over the next three years. Maybe if Wynn can see some direct benefits linked to that fine then it will be less of a poison pill to swallow.

Pedestrian footbridge tops my list, but also other transportation and beautification projects could bolster the attractiveness of the Encore casino and hotel, but also more generally benefit the area. Maybe a further extension and beautification of the River walk on both sides of the Mystic.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #2104
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,474
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent View Post
Well, the opening delay could definitely be related to the state's investigations into the suitability and disclosure requirements.

My humble suggestion would be that it is time for the state to agree to put that $35 million fine back into additional improvements in the area rather than let it disappear into the general fund without any linkage.

A lawsuit by Wynn against the state for levying this fine would be yet another distraction and be a negative impact on the success of this thing over the next three years. Maybe if Wynn can see some direct benefits linked to that fine then it will be less of a poison pill to swallow.

Pedestrian footbridge tops my list, but also other transportation and beautification projects could bolster the attractiveness of the Encore casino and hotel, but also more generally benefit the area. Maybe a further extension and beautification of the River walk on both sides of the Mystic.
I'd like to see an extension of the Silver Line.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #2105
stick n move
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorchester
Posts: 6,001
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

“Encore Boston Harbor introduces ‘premium’ water shuttles with $7 fares from Seaport, Long Wharf to Everett”





























https://www.masslive.com/boston/2019...outputType=amp
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:51 PM   #2106
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,208
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

From 5/6. Click in to view larger.

IMG_1180 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1194 by David Z, on Flickr
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #2107
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,971
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

How nice/smart of them to put a stripper pole on the boat. You can enjoy some entertainment as you sail to the casino.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #2108
Tombstoner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 704
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
How nice/smart of them to put a stripper pole on the boat. You can enjoy some entertainment as you sail to the casino.
Do they provide strippers or is it BYOS?
Tombstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #2109
TheMagicMan
banished
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 138
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Do they provide strippers or is it BYOS?

Yes. They will be at the bottom of the deck in chains. The boats with the stripper poles are VIP. Kraft types only.

This type of transportation loosens you up to lose a small fortune before you even walk into the casino.

TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #2110
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,971
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...e-liquor-4-am/

Unsurprisingly, Mayor Walsh is not a fan of the proposal to allow the casino to serve booze until 4 am.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:55 AM   #2111
HarvardP
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 95
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

The tower is tacky AF, fit for Vegas but a shiny eyesore here. The podium and outdoor environs would stick out anywhere - it's faux Eastern Med/Arabian/Ft Lauderdale vibe is the design equivalent of Dolly's famous "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap!" - but amidst the industrial sprawl it's just a wet fart in a quiet room.
HarvardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:39 AM   #2112
meddlepal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,296
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...e-liquor-4-am/

Unsurprisingly, Mayor Walsh is not a fan of the proposal to allow the casino to serve booze until 4 am.
Why is that unsurprising? Walsh has tried to get later closing hours for Boston before and failed. Raising a stink over this is attempt to get the rules loosened for Boston which should have later closing hours.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #2113
tocoto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 345
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

The hotel and casino, bad as they may be, are probably the best looking buildings in the area.

Marty, as a recovering alcoholic, is pretty cautious about relaxed drinking and pot laws but in this case he is probably opposed because it will not benefit Boston. In the bigger picture, longer hours at the casino could lead to generally longer hours everywhere including Boston.
tocoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #2114
TheMagicMan
banished
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 138
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Looking at the Encore skyline from Assembly Row is pretty amazing. Once the casino is successful the entire area will start to develop into a more entertainment platform for Boston.

This is the start of serious change in and around that area. Everett will never look back.

Magic
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #2115
BosDevelop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,188
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlepal View Post
Walsh has tried to get later closing hours for Boston before and failed.
Can you share a link where I can read more about Walsh's efforts to allow bars in Boston to serve past 2:00am? I was not aware that he has tried to change that. Who/what is stopping him?
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #2116
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,971
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
The hotel and casino, bad as they may be, are probably the best looking buildings in the area.

Marty, as a recovering alcoholic, is pretty cautious about relaxed drinking and pot laws but in this case he is probably opposed because it will not benefit Boston. In the bigger picture, longer hours at the casino could lead to generally longer hours everywhere including Boston.
They should. Bars and restaurants should be able to serve alcohol until 3:00 am and have a 3:30 am closing time, that way people can finish their drinks and have time to trickle out of the bar.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #2117
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,971
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosDevelop View Post
Can you share a link where I can read more about Walsh's efforts to allow bars in Boston to serve past 2:00am? I was not aware that he has tried to change that. Who/what is stopping him?
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/...ts-to-330-a-m/

Back in 2014 he suggested a later closing time for bars and restaurants in the city.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #2118
HarvardP
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 95
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosDevelop View Post
Can you share a link where I can read more about Walsh's efforts to allow bars in Boston to serve past 2:00am? I was not aware that he has tried to change that. Who/what is stopping him?
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/...ts-to-330-a-m/ [/url]
HarvardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #2119
TheMagicMan
banished
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 138
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
They should. Bars and restaurants should be able to serve alcohol until 3:00 am and have a 3:30 am closing time, that way people can finish their drinks and have time to trickle out of the bar.
This is the final transformation to the Manhattanization of the once blue collared city.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #2120
cadetcarl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston/Medford
Posts: 408
Re: Encore Boston Harbor Casino | Everett

Luckily, no one cares.
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everett and north metro Boston transit FK4 Transit and Infrastructure 30 12-08-2016 11:09 AM
One Harbor Shore Dr. | Fan Pier Parcel H | 1 Harbor Shore Drive | Seaport BeeLine Development Projects 49 10-17-2016 10:02 AM
30 year cleanup of Boston Harbor completed stellarfun Transit and Infrastructure 8 08-22-2016 01:29 PM
Should Boston build a Casino? KentXie General 83 05-01-2012 07:35 PM
BRA Meeting: E. Boston Municipal Harbor Plan briv Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events 0 06-23-2008 03:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.