archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #321
Beton Brut

Re: City Hall Plaza

Some of the varied forms of High-Tech Expressionism are an outgrowth of Brutalist gestures and form-making. Paul Rudolph's work in Southeast Asia (both executed and unbuilt) skirts the line between both approaches. His gifted students, Norman Foster and Richard Rogers, have driven these ideas forward for the past few decades. Kevin Roche, John Portman, and even Rem Koolhaas have played in this shared space. When done thoughtfully, these can be interesting buildings that offer a rich spacial experience to residents and visitors. The Frankfurt project is Coop Himmelb(l)au at their most understated. It reminds me a bit of Koolhaas's Seattle Central Library, a nominally Brutalist building ensnared in a diagrid and frosted in glass.

~ Justin7

Last edited by Beton Brut; 06-08-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #322
odurandina

Thank you.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #323
Downburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
Some of the varied forms of High-Tech Expressionism are an outgrowth of Brutalist gestures and form-making. Paul Rudolph's work in Southeast Asia (both executed and unbuilt) skirts the line between both approaches. His gifted students, Norman Foster and Richard Rogers, have driven these ideas forward for the past few decades. Kevin Roche, John Portman, and even Rem Koolhaas have played in this share space. When done thoughtfully, these can be interesting buildings that offer a rich spacial experience to residents and visitors. The Frankfurt project is Coop Himmelb(l)au at their most understated. It reminds me a bit of Koolhaas's Seattle Central Library, a nominally Brutalist building ensnared in a diagrid and frosted in glass.
BB, do you write professionally? That was both wonderfully stated and quite informative.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #324
Beton Brut

Thank you, Downburst.

I trained as a fiction writer in the 90s, with a sensibility informed by the work of Richard Yates, John Updike, and Thomas Williams. Sometimes I'd get stoned and write shitty poems that aspired no higher than warmed-over Robert Lowell.

The only writing I do these days is here, or in the modernism/preservation focused nooks & crannies of certain social media platforms.

~ Justin7
Old 06-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #325
odurandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downburst View Post
That was both wonderfully stated and quite informative.
Unquestionably.

Lots of gifted contributors with unacclaimed insight and knowledge.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #326
BeeLine

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #327
KentXie

Great article on the history of City Hall Plaza on Boston.com

https://www.boston.com/news/history/...hall-brutalism

Given the other 7 finalists, I'm not surprised Boston ended up with the current design; they were all hideous.

KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #328
tangent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
Great article on the history of City Hall Plaza on Boston.com

https://www.boston.com/news/history/...hall-brutalism

Given the other 7 finalists, I'm not surprised Boston ended up with the current design; they were all hideous.

Fine article.... but the headline and picture don't match: "Why is Boston City Hall the way it is?" and the picture is from like 30 years ago and doesn't reflect any of the changes. Looking at it I would expect that the picture would actually show the way it is now.

As for the architectural contest... I think without a doubt architectural contests are a bad way to actually choose final architecture. I mean I suppose it is essentially like an RFP for architectural design services, but making it so public like that and so much like a contest for the design of the final building rather than just a presentation of past work or previous designs as part of a portfolio... and then the winning architect working with the city to come up with a design the city wants to build.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #329
statler

I always kinda dug the oval version. That might have been cool.
statler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #330
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
I always kinda dug the oval version.
I've always wondered if Gordon Bunshaft was aware of this proposal; the similarity to his Hirshhorn Museum in DC is striking.

The Mitchell/Giurgola proposal is fascinating. What was the planned cladding? It seems a thousand times more menacing than Kallmann McKinnell & Knowles unloved masterpiece.

Wish I could find a image of the also-ran proposal by a young Peter Eisenman -- it wasn't half-bad...

Another good read on the lost artistry of rendering.

~ Justin7