archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #3541
adamh8297

Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfun View Post
Speaking of Delta, on Thursday, Delta and China Eastern each bought a 10 percent stake in Air France / KLM. And Air France / KLM took at 31 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic.

Delta already held a 49 percent stake in Virgin Atlantic, a 49% stake in AeroMexico, and 9.5% stake in Gol.
It appears Delta and Air France-KLM want to get rid of the man who is closely associated with the Virgin name from his first airline.
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #3542
adamh8297

Light dawns on Marblehead.... surprised this didn't happen sooner: a partnership with Air Berlin and JetBlue.

http://www.eturbonews.com/161193/air...ration-jetblue
Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #3543
adamh8297

NY Senator Chuck Schumer wants JetBlue to fly Boston-Syracuse. He got his way before with Albany/Syracuse-Florida flights so who knows.

http://auburnpub.com/blogs/eye_on_ny...e24ba3624.html
Old 08-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #3544
millerm277

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
NY Senator Chuck Schumer wants JetBlue to fly Boston-Syracuse. He got his way before with Albany/Syracuse-Florida flights so who knows.

http://auburnpub.com/blogs/eye_on_ny...e24ba3624.html
Currently the only direct SYR-BOS service is 1 round-trip on American Eagle (Air Wisconsin) with a 50 seat CRJ200, weekdays only, although there is plenty of 1 stop service going through other hubs.

I'm skeptical there's demand for more given that AA's never opted to run more flights/bigger planes on the route.
millerm277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #3545
LH421

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Currently the only direct SYR-BOS service is 1 round-trip on American Eagle (Air Wisconsin) with a 50 seat CRJ200, weekdays only, although there is plenty of 1 stop service going through other hubs.

I'm skeptical there's demand for more given that AA's never opted to run more flights/bigger planes on the route.
The route has the schedule and capacity that it does precisely because the route is tailored for local (BOS) point of sale and has attractive yields. While legacy AA was big on cutting non-hub flying in the 2009-2011 period (Arpey's "Cornerstone flight 2020" strategy) leading up to bankruptcy, legacy US (new management) is more content letting routes like this stand on their own two legs if the yields are attractive.

No way this is a two carrier market, but lower average fares on B6 may stimulate more demand (taking people off buses, students from driving, interline int'l connections, etc).
LH421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #3546
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH421 View Post
The route has the schedule and capacity that it does precisely because the route is tailored for local (BOS) point of sale and has attractive yields. While legacy AA was big on cutting non-hub flying in the 2009-2011 period (Arpey's "Cornerstone flight 2020" strategy) leading up to bankruptcy, legacy US (new management) is more content letting routes like this stand on their own two legs if the yields are attractive.

No way this is a two carrier market, but lower average fares on B6 may stimulate more demand (taking people off buses, students from driving, interline int'l connections, etc).
Good analysis - I think B6 would do ROC first if any other upstate NY service is to be added (larger metro) and that airport is also begging for it.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #3547
atlantaden

Surprised Jet Blue doesn't serve Burlington, VT non-stop from Boston. Does any airline fly Bos/BTV nonstop?
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #3548
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaden View Post
Surprised Jet Blue doesn't serve Burlington, VT non-stop from Boston. Does any airline fly Bos/BTV nonstop?
Nope. I'm going to a wedding up there in the fall and I was looking to see if anybody served that route (have to meet up with someone there, and would rather not take 2 cars). The answer is no.

I think it's too short/too small a market for B6. It's really probably only possible on a +/- 50 seat plane at best. the CRJ700 would make sense. Or ATR-72 or Dash 8 might be the biggest a carrier would do on the route. I'd like to see it too.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #3549
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Nope. I'm going to a wedding up there in the fall and I was looking to see if anybody served that route (have to meet up with someone there, and would rather not take 2 cars). The answer is no.

I think it's too short/too small a market for B6. It's really probably only possible on a +/- 50 seat plane at best. the CRJ700 would make sense. Or ATR-72 or Dash 8 might be the biggest a carrier would do on the route. I'd like to see it too.
There are plenty of buses that serve this route. You still don't need to drive.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #3550
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
There are plenty of buses that serve this route. You still don't need to drive.
Oh I know, I didn't say I couldn't get there at all without driving. But I'd rather spend 1/2 the time door to door by flying if it's available.

Anyway, I wonder if this will impact the Boston route:

Quote:
Struggling German airline Air Berlin filed for insolvency on Tuesday after years of losses caught up with it and shareholder Etihad withdrew funding, with rival Lufthansa saying it was in talks to take over parts of its business.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/15/air-...s-support.html
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM   #3551
stellarfun

Air Berlin filed for bankruptcy yesterday. German government has loaned it money so operations don't cease immediately. Seems headed for liquidation with Ryanair charging that Lufthansa is seeking to devour the more lucrative routes.