archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #61
RandomWalk

Re: Roxbury Developments

Derelict YMCA by day. Times Square by night.
RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #62
kingofsheeba

That's half assed.
kingofsheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #63
Matthew

Got a short tour of Bartlett yard yesterday. Looks really cool.

Also really cool, they're probably going to start demolition next month and there are plans for a mixed-use mixed-income development to be built in stages. I think the first stage is 60 units, and a Harvest Co-op.

On the other side of Dudley, the Tropical Foods guy said that they anticipate a soft opening of their new building in November, maybe save the grand opening for the new year. It's just an empty lot right now, so that's seems like they have plans to push things up fast.

The BRA supposedly has plans to develop a bunch of vacant lots and parking lots near that, as well.

The Ferdinand building is largely intact now. The sides are made up of some kind of fancy brick. A lot of people were whispering that the brick is ugly, though. I didn't mind, I was just annoyed by the lack of street interaction, but supposedly there will be a public space inside.

Dudley is going to be quite different in a few years it seems.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #64
lexicon506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
The Ferdinand building is largely intact now. The sides are made up of some kind of fancy brick. A lot of people were whispering that the brick is ugly, though.
Too bad, because that brick is the most beautiful thing Boston has seen in a long time.
lexicon506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #65
AmericanFolkLegend

Quote:
Dudley is going to be quite different in a few years it seems.
How long before people start complaining that the developments are driving long time residents out, etc., etc.
AmericanFolkLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #66
Matthew

They're already on that. A repeated theme, including from Mr Mayor himself, is that they intend to make sure that the pre-existing residents are not pushed out by the changes. High percentages of affordable and mid-range. Bartlett is going to be something like 40-30-30 affordable-midrange-market.

Also, besides Bartlett, it seems that a lot of the development is CDC-led, FWIW.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #67
underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFolkLegend View Post
How long before people start complaining that the developments are driving long time residents out, etc., etc.

I give it 6 months based on today's appearance of the precursor complaint, Parking Apocalypse: http://bostonherald.com/business/bus...king_nightmare
underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #68
Matthew

Well the page refuses to load due to it being loaded up with ads and crap. But I'm guessing that it's more moronic comments from the Herald no doubt. Dudley is mostly a parking lot at the moment.

Just goes to show that the more you destroy your neighborhood and turn it into a parking lot, the more parking that people will demand even further.

Two people did bring up parking while we were standing there and the answer from the organizer was basically: street parking is unenforced right now but once things are in place we'll be investigating options like metering and actual enforcement.

That reminds me, the organizer was also standing in front of the ugly, old police station and saying something about how there's some vision to demolish it and replace it with something big, maybe even going tall. Probably commercial space, maybe some residential mixed in.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #69
bigeman312

Form the article:

Quote:
Stanley said public transit is not an acceptable replacement for parking spots.
bigeman312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #70
Matthew

Oh, I know there are snobs who are too good to ride the buses. I just don't believe public policy should stoop to subsidizing their anti-social behavior. If they want parking, they can pay the proper price for it, instead of dumping the burden on the backs of the less affluent.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #71
underground

Quote:
But I'm guessing that it's more moronic comments from the Herald no doubt.
It's coming from our seemingly otherwise levelheaded councilman, Tito Jackson.
underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #72
Matthew

Speaking of politicians, during his remarks, Marty Walsh kept talking about his experience "driving through Dudley" before finally biting his tongue, as he realized he was addressing "Walk Boston". Kind of an awkward moment there. It really doesn't sound so great if his main experience of Dudley is from behind a windshield.

Just one of those things -- sigh. In general, politicians are driven around to places and some of them never really get out and experience places the way their constituents do. Now, for the record, I don't think Marty is like that -- at least not entirely -- but his slip-up was an interesting window onto that world.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #73
AmericanFolkLegend

How could public transit be an acceptable replacement of parking in a neighborhood centered around THE LARGEST BUS STATION IN NEW ENGLAND!!!
AmericanFolkLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #74
pixelsand8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Got a short tour of Bartlett yard yesterday. Looks really cool.
Same here though I imagine we weren't there at the same time, as I didn't see anybody else. I was there around 1:30-3pm. A few of the many pics I took;

Old 05-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #75
kz1000ps

Not sure where to put these but here's the two-story going up on Melnea Cass (note the building comes right up to the sidewalk -- is our beloved Melnea going urban?)

Last edited by kz1000ps; 05-12-2014 at 08:42 AM.
kz1000ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #76
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
(note the building comes right up to the sidewalk -- is out beloved Melnea going urban?)
Yes, that's intentional.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #77
BeeLine

Dudley-Greenville (205-13 Dudley) May15 (Looking SW)

Dudley-Greenville (223-31 Dudley) Looking SW
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #78
lynqueezy

I like how they mark the buildings with the year they were completed in:
lynqueezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #79
lynqueezy

lynqueezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #80
Savin Hill

Nonprofit to transform vacant Roxbury parcel into housing

Quote:
The Community Builders, a Boston-based nonprofit developer, has filed plans to convert a long vacant parcel near Roxbury’s Grove Hall into a $10 million mixed-use housing development.

Under the proposal filed with the Boston Redevelopment Authority on Friday, TCB plans to construct “The Clarion,” a pair of buildings totaling 67,000 square feet on the city-owned one-acre site at 311 Blue Hill Ave. The project site includes eight lots that have been acquired by the city’s Department of Neighborhood Development since the 1970s, many for nonpayment of taxes.

A ground breaking is set for next year on a four-story and a two-story building that would contain a total of 40 apartments with 5,000 square feet of space for community use on the first floor. Thirteen of the units will be market rate.

The city designated TCB to develop the site in 2011. Since then, the developer has attended a series of community meetings to determine the building design, site layout, number of units and open space. Once the approvals for the mixed-use development are secured, TCB will buy the parcel from the city for $1.

Since its founding in the 1960s, TCB has completed 320 projects and 25,000 housing units in 15 states.
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/re...o-housing.html
Savin Hill is offline   Reply With Quote