archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #41
ErnieAdams

Re: Kenmore Square North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Save the building if reasonably possible, and stop with the Citgo sign idolatry. Sight lines for marathon runners, seriously?
The line about marathon runners is mine, so I'm coming back in to say "no, not really seriously." More of a statement of fact than idolatry to note that on that one day in April, thousands of runners will see that sign from way down Beacon and will start kicking to the finish way too soon. My official take on the sign is that I like it more than I don't because it's unique within Boston and it's a useful geographic marker for, yes, marathon runners among many many others. That said, I wouldn't actually raise a finger to try saving/preserving the sign or any of the sightlines to it because, as pointed out ad nauseam below my initial comment, it's just an advertisement. I understand, but do not agree with, the blindly sentimental crowd, just as I understand, but do not agree with, the blindly unsentimental and/or woke crowd. It's OK not to have a strong opinion on this.

On the subject of strong opinions, do people like that corner building mostly because of the patina on the west side, or is it the whole package? I note that the ground floor as currently constituted is a net negative to the street level, with that long blankness between the convenience store and the post office next door.
ErnieAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:13 AM   #42
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieAdams View Post
On the subject of strong opinions, do people like that corner building mostly because of the patina on the west side, or is it the whole package? I note that the ground floor as currently constituted is a net negative to the street level, with that long blankness between the convenience store and the post office next door.
I think it's a gorgeous building that has likely had its street level bastardized, as is so often the case when and older building survives the 1960s-80s. Fix the street, cleanup and renovate the rest. Couldn't ask for a better anchor on that corner.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #43
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieAdams View Post
Everything about it is perfect.

The ground level was destroyed but can be fixed.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:25 PM   #44
cadetcarl

Again, I don't think it's anything special but I have no confidence in the collective crop of developers/architects dominant in this cycle to replace it with something of equal or greater beauty. No use trading down.
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #45
DowntownDave

The ground floor doesn't seem to have been changed too much, actually. The City Convenience entry seems to have replaced an apartment.

DowntownDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #46
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I think it's a gorgeous building that has likely had its street level bastardized, as is so often the case when and older building survives the 1960s-80s. Fix the street, cleanup and renovate the rest. Couldn't ask for a better anchor on that corner.
Looked it up. It dates from 1889.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #47
Java King

Is anyone old enough to remember the Narcissus Dance Club? I went a few times when I first moved here back in 1987 and I was in my 20's. I guess it's the Burtucci's now.

Java King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #48
tysmith95

Interesting, it looks like the green line used to be street running and not separated from traffic at that point in time.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #49
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Interesting, it looks like the green line used to be street running and not separated from traffic at that point in time.
Probably not appropriate to call those trolleys the Green Line. They are just part of the extensive surface trolley network that covered the city before any subway tunnels were built.

The density of the trolley traffic that converged on Tremont Street along the Common completely stalled traffic there. That led to the construction of the first tunnel with Park and Boylston stations. A lot of the support for the subway came from the wealth Brahmins who lived in the elegant row houses facing the Common, Colonnade Row. The trolley traffic was so bad the Brahmins could not get their carriages up to their houses. They supported the subway not to make the trolleys run better, but to get them out of sight (and out of their way).
Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #50
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java King View Post
Is anyone old enough to remember the Narcissus Dance Club? I went a few times when I first moved here back in 1987 and I was in my 20's. I guess it's the Burtucci's now.

Yes, I remember it well! Never went inside, as I favored the Rat, but used to enjoy watching the fights and unruly crowd spilling out after closing. There were a couple of other clubs associated with that building, all under one ownership. Collectively known as the Kenmore Club, there were also Lipstick and one other besides Narcissus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Probably not appropriate to call those trolleys the Green Line. They are just part of the extensive surface trolley network that covered the city before any subway tunnels were built.
As presented in the picture, you could sort of consider it the Green Line. Based on the picture's label, that shot is from 1922. If you look closely on Comm Ave., just past the funeral parlor, you can see the old portal. Kenmore under hadn't yet been built, but what is now known as Hynes was in service by this time. G/L trolleys emerged just before the square, to then head in their respective directions after hitting a surface stop. What I did not realize, though, is that Beacon St., east of the square, had trolleys.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #51
odurandina

Corner building facade should *(must) remain as either a building or a facadectomy; (preferably) a building.

Citgo sign should then, be moved to the corner building itself while preserving it to the closest traditional alignment with Brookline Ave and Beacon Street.... the rest of the block should be razed for a 490'~560' hotel, retail/entertainment, condominium complex.

This is the best way to plan a modest expansion of Boston's core. Kenmore is going to be getting some height and density with the 2 highrise hotels, and Fenway Center currently planned. This is the most proper place to put a crown, and help Kenmore achieve its proper greatness.

Last edited by odurandina; 04-06-2018 at 11:00 AM.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #52
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
As presented in the picture, you could sort of consider it the Green Line. Based on the picture's label, that shot is from 1922. If you look closely on Comm Ave., just past the funeral parlor, you can see the old portal. Kenmore under hadn't yet been built, but what is now known as Hynes was in service by this time. G/L trolleys emerged just before the square, to then head in their respective directions after hitting a surface stop. What I did not realize, though, is that Beacon St., east of the square, had trolleys.
OK, I'll agree with you on this observation. I thought it was older, since all I noted was all the trolleys feeding in from Beacon. I did not notice the Commonwealth portal (I did not see any trolley traffic coming from Commonwealth direction).
Old 02-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #53
tangent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
OK, I'll agree with you on this observation. I thought it was older, since all I noted was all the trolleys feeding in from Beacon. I did not notice the Commonwealth portal (I did not see any trolley traffic coming from Commonwealth direction).

The caption on that picture says it was "circa 1915"

Though from the wikipedia entry I think it might have been taken in 1914 when that portal opened. I don't see any tracks leading to the portal and it looks like there might actually be poles in front of it blocking it, maybe before its opening?
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #54
Boston02124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java King View Post

I remember it 🙂
Boston02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #55
TomOfBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Citgo sign should then, be moved to the corner building itself while preserving it to the closest traditional alignment with Brookline Ave and Beacon Street.... the rest of the block should be razed for a 490'~560' hotel, retail/entertainment, condominium complex.
How would you propose that the enormous CITGO sign be moved?
TomOfBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #56
statler

Do you think it grew there organically?
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #57
FenwayResident

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
How would you propose that the enormous CITGO sign be moved?
Strapping rockets to it and firing it into the Sun.
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #58
JumboBuc

Oh crap, this fits with the LOI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOI
[C]onstruction of a new, approximately 165,000 square foot, 8-story building located where Buildings 2-4 currently exist, which will include a mix of commercial retail/restaurant uses on the ground floor and mezzanine levels, with office use above, together with below grade parking and uses accessory thereto

I would fight someone to keep that from happening.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #59
cjbski

W T F
cjbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #60
cca

lazy lazy lazy. Lets hope this is a late April Fools Day joke.

cca
cca is offline   Reply With Quote