archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #21
sm89

Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

I was out in North Point yesterday and they're really starting to ramp up construction. Lots of potential with the mixed used paths! I wish these buildings (the development as a whole) were more integrated though. This is sort of turning into a dense office park instead of a neighborhood.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #22
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
I was out in North Point yesterday and they're really starting to ramp up construction. Lots of potential with the mixed used paths! I wish these buildings (the development as a whole) were more integrated though. This is sort of turning into a dense office park instead of a neighborhood.
The development plans have always looked more like an office park than a neighborhood. It's as though the various developers over time have thought this was the burbs.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #23
cca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
The economy of this kind of planning drive that feeling. Kendall, Seaport, Northpoint all suffer from this and as I have posted too many times ... there is nothing you can do about it given the way our built environment develops. We let the markets drive what is possible, and what is required and put very little oversight on them ...and guess what? This is what you get. So ... this is the physical manifestation of our values. Bask in its freedoms.

cca
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #24
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
The economy of this kind of planning drive that feeling. Kendall, Seaport, Northpoint all suffer from this and as I have posted too many times ... there is nothing you can do about it given the way our built environment develops. We let the markets drive what is possible, and what is required and put very little oversight on them ...and guess what? This is what you get. So ... this is the physical manifestation of our values. Bask in its freedoms.

cca
But there are SO many ways in which the-powers-that-be do not "let the markets drive what is possible". Density, use, and height restrictions are foremost among them. These sort of things we exercise a shitton of "oversight" over, and what we end up with is far from what an unrestrained market would produce.

Some aspects of development and design draw a huge amount of attention from the public and the regulatory authorities that represent them, while other aspects get little to no attention.

The issue is not that we let the market dictate development, the issue is that we let the market dictate some design decisions but not others.

This is particularly pronounced in the suburbs. In the 128-belt town where my parents live, developers are given carte blanche to buy up charming and affordable pre-war ranches and colonials, tear them down, and put up soulless McMansion Hell-style 5-bedrooms in their place. There's a market for that, and just about anyone can do it with little municipal resistance. But god forbid a developer seek to build more than one housing unit on a single lot, which there is also a market for. Then they're chased out of town by the regulators.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #25
atlantaden

The plan for Suffolk Downs seems to go against the market with small blocks of dense residential and retail planned. Assembly Square seems to be going in a different direction as well. Maybe if the Northpoint buildings were built where their huge park is and the park was spread around the perimeter of the cluster of buildings instead of the other way around, it would have made for a better urban feel.

Last edited by atlantaden; 06-03-2017 at 09:02 AM.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #26
cca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
But there are SO many ways in which the-powers-that-be do not "let the markets drive what is possible". Density, use, and height restrictions are foremost among them. These sort of things we exercise a shitton of "oversight" over, and what we end up with is far from what an unrestrained market would produce.

Some aspects of development and design draw a huge amount of attention from the public and the regulatory authorities that represent them, while other aspects get little to no attention.

The issue is not that we let the market dictate development, the issue is that we let the market dictate some design decisions but not others.

This is particularly pronounced in the suburbs. In the 128-belt town where my parents live, developers are given carte blanche to buy up charming and affordable pre-war ranches and colonials, tear them down, and put up soulless McMansion Hell-style 5-bedrooms in their place. There's a market for that, and just about anyone can do it with little municipal resistance. But god forbid a developer seek to build more than one housing unit on a single lot, which there is also a market for. Then they're chased out of town by the regulators.
You make good points. The thing I have learned is that business drives taxes (expecially in Cambridge where there is so much tax coming from the business side) and land is expensive, and the city has no desire to force restrictions that tend to make the built environment: Multi-parcel blocks, density with punctured open space, and buildings that engage the street in active ways with retail and publicly accessible spaces). Thus ... we get what we get ... and generally there is not enough loud position to demand better. I vow to keep trying till my dying day because I believe in it .... but ... I understand why what we see at Northpoint happens. Its not wrong, it just is not the best we can have as a community. Unfortunately, there is no apparent value in that so nothing changes.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #27
curcuas

When there's a culture that politicians must control development, you get the development that politicians think citizens want, not the experimentation and traditional forms the market would supply.
curcuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #28
timsox6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretrievers View Post
more...
(source BLDUP)

Damn but that render cyclist gets confused easily and often. Maybe he's always just about to pass through and then he looks over and says, "Dammit, who is this dude taking my photo every five seconds? Can't a man in a floppy red cap just bicycle without everyone staring?"
Old 06-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #29
goldenretrievers

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsox6 View Post
Damn but that render cyclist gets confused easily and often. Maybe he's always just about to pass through and then he looks over and says, "Dammit, who is this dude taking my photo every five seconds? Can't a man in a floppy red cap just bicycle without everyone staring?"
*hipster waldo
goldenretrievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:27 AM   #30
FK4

^Haha
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #31
BeeLine

GeoTec rig up on the hill of dirt.
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #32
cca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLine View Post
how many dead bodies will be in that soil sample?

cca
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #33
BeeLine

They are removing the hill of contaminated soil.

The trucks are lined with heavy plastic.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #34
BeeLine

Looks like they ar e starting to dismantle the DRC's trailer camp. Sooner the better.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #35
ivyhedge

Nice!

Yeah, a lot of their vehicles look like they're gone for good now, too.

That happened a few weeks ago, too, but then they returned...
ivyhedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #36
ivyhedge

By 24 Sep, nearly the entire lot was cleared.

Today, these were erected (and they look great in evening light).

I did not bike past them on my way home, but I surmise they could be part of the ceremony/celebration accompanying a groundbreaking. Either that or the Circus is in town!!

ivyhedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #37
goldenretrievers

groundbreaking today
goldenretrievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #38
curcuas

What's the story with the (nearly) empty parcel between EF1 and EF3?
curcuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #39
cca

Water department pump station. Immovable object.

cca
Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #40
CSTH

^Presumably could build over / around it? Or is the surrounding soil immovable too ?
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote