archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #21
sm89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somerville
Posts: 763
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

I was out in North Point yesterday and they're really starting to ramp up construction. Lots of potential with the mixed used paths! I wish these buildings (the development as a whole) were more integrated though. This is sort of turning into a dense office park instead of a neighborhood.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #22
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,612
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
I was out in North Point yesterday and they're really starting to ramp up construction. Lots of potential with the mixed used paths! I wish these buildings (the development as a whole) were more integrated though. This is sort of turning into a dense office park instead of a neighborhood.
The development plans have always looked more like an office park than a neighborhood. It's as though the various developers over time have thought this was the burbs.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #23
cca
Senior Member
 
cca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,325
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
I was out in North Point yesterday and they're really starting to ramp up construction. Lots of potential with the mixed used paths! I wish these buildings (the development as a whole) were more integrated though. This is sort of turning into a dense office park instead of a neighborhood.
The economy of this kind of planning drive that feeling. Kendall, Seaport, Northpoint all suffer from this and as I have posted too many times ... there is nothing you can do about it given the way our built environment develops. We let the markets drive what is possible, and what is required and put very little oversight on them ...and guess what? This is what you get. So ... this is the physical manifestation of our values. Bask in its freedoms.

cca
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #24
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,753
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
The economy of this kind of planning drive that feeling. Kendall, Seaport, Northpoint all suffer from this and as I have posted too many times ... there is nothing you can do about it given the way our built environment develops. We let the markets drive what is possible, and what is required and put very little oversight on them ...and guess what? This is what you get. So ... this is the physical manifestation of our values. Bask in its freedoms.

cca
But there are SO many ways in which the-powers-that-be do not "let the markets drive what is possible". Density, use, and height restrictions are foremost among them. These sort of things we exercise a shitton of "oversight" over, and what we end up with is far from what an unrestrained market would produce.

Some aspects of development and design draw a huge amount of attention from the public and the regulatory authorities that represent them, while other aspects get little to no attention.

The issue is not that we let the market dictate development, the issue is that we let the market dictate some design decisions but not others.

This is particularly pronounced in the suburbs. In the 128-belt town where my parents live, developers are given carte blanche to buy up charming and affordable pre-war ranches and colonials, tear them down, and put up soulless McMansion Hell-style 5-bedrooms in their place. There's a market for that, and just about anyone can do it with little municipal resistance. But god forbid a developer seek to build more than one housing unit on a single lot, which there is also a market for. Then they're chased out of town by the regulators.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #25
atlantaden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,828
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

The plan for Suffolk Downs seems to go against the market with small blocks of dense residential and retail planned. Assembly Square seems to be going in a different direction as well. Maybe if the Northpoint buildings were built where their huge park is and the park was spread around the perimeter of the cluster of buildings instead of the other way around, it would have made for a better urban feel.

Last edited by atlantaden; 06-03-2017 at 09:02 AM.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #26
cca
Senior Member
 
cca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,325
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
But there are SO many ways in which the-powers-that-be do not "let the markets drive what is possible". Density, use, and height restrictions are foremost among them. These sort of things we exercise a shitton of "oversight" over, and what we end up with is far from what an unrestrained market would produce.

Some aspects of development and design draw a huge amount of attention from the public and the regulatory authorities that represent them, while other aspects get little to no attention.

The issue is not that we let the market dictate development, the issue is that we let the market dictate some design decisions but not others.

This is particularly pronounced in the suburbs. In the 128-belt town where my parents live, developers are given carte blanche to buy up charming and affordable pre-war ranches and colonials, tear them down, and put up soulless McMansion Hell-style 5-bedrooms in their place. There's a market for that, and just about anyone can do it with little municipal resistance. But god forbid a developer seek to build more than one housing unit on a single lot, which there is also a market for. Then they're chased out of town by the regulators.
You make good points. The thing I have learned is that business drives taxes (expecially in Cambridge where there is so much tax coming from the business side) and land is expensive, and the city has no desire to force restrictions that tend to make the built environment: Multi-parcel blocks, density with punctured open space, and buildings that engage the street in active ways with retail and publicly accessible spaces). Thus ... we get what we get ... and generally there is not enough loud position to demand better. I vow to keep trying till my dying day because I believe in it .... but ... I understand why what we see at Northpoint happens. Its not wrong, it just is not the best we can have as a community. Unfortunately, there is no apparent value in that so nothing changes.
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #27
curcuas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 248
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

When there's a culture that politicians must control development, you get the development that politicians think citizens want, not the experimentation and traditional forms the market would supply.
curcuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #28
timsox6
Senior Member
 
timsox6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 683
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretrievers View Post
more...
(source BLDUP)





Damn but that render cyclist gets confused easily and often. Maybe he's always just about to pass through and then he looks over and says, "Dammit, who is this dude taking my photo every five seconds? Can't a man in a floppy red cap just bicycle without everyone staring?"
__________________
1 All syllogisms have three parts. 2 Therefore, this is not a syllogism.
timsox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #29
goldenretrievers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 679
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsox6 View Post
Damn but that render cyclist gets confused easily and often. Maybe he's always just about to pass through and then he looks over and says, "Dammit, who is this dude taking my photo every five seconds? Can't a man in a floppy red cap just bicycle without everyone staring?"
*hipster waldo
goldenretrievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:27 AM   #30
FK4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,944
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

^Haha
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #31
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,426
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

GeoTec rig up on the hill of dirt.
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #32
cca
Senior Member
 
cca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,325
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLine View Post
how many dead bodies will be in that soil sample?

cca
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #33
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,426
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

They are removing the hill of contaminated soil.



The trucks are lined with heavy plastic.

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #34
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,426
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Looks like they ar e starting to dismantle the DRC's trailer camp. Sooner the better.

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #35
ivyhedge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cambridge Crossing
Posts: 315
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Nice!

Yeah, a lot of their vehicles look like they're gone for good now, too.

That happened a few weeks ago, too, but then they returned...
ivyhedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #36
ivyhedge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cambridge Crossing
Posts: 315
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

By 24 Sep, nearly the entire lot was cleared.

Today, these were erected (and they look great in evening light).

I did not bike past them on my way home, but I surmise they could be part of the ceremony/celebration accompanying a groundbreaking. Either that or the Circus is in town!!

ivyhedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #37
goldenretrievers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 679
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

groundbreaking today
goldenretrievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #38
curcuas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 248
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

What's the story with the (nearly) empty parcel between EF1 and EF3?
curcuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #39
cca
Senior Member
 
cca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,325
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

Water department pump station. Immovable object.

cca
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #40
CSTH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,644
Re: Education First (Phase III) | 10 North Point Blvd | Cambridge

^Presumably could build over / around it? Or is the surrounding soil immovable too ?
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston awood91 Development Projects 1120 11-22-2018 01:42 AM
AVA North Point II | Archtone phase II | East Cambridge BeeLine Development Projects 113 09-02-2018 08:14 PM
22 Water St | North Point Area | Cambridge BeeLine Development Projects 193 07-02-2015 11:28 AM
New North Point joint venture Tango Transit and Infrastructure 4 09-02-2010 07:41 PM
Archstone North Point (The one that looks like the Landmark Center) Mike Development Projects 118 04-04-2010 07:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.