archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #201
ceo

Re: North Washington St Bridge

Charlestown is accessible from basically 3 points: Sullivan Square, the Gilmore Bridge and the North Washington St Bridge. (Well, and the Rte 1/I/93 ramps.) I can easily see where shutting down one of the access points entirely was not deemed an acceptable solution.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #202
tysmith95

Gilmore bridge to Cambridge during rush hour is a nightmare. One of the worst bottlenecks in Boston.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #203
bigpicture7

Why not erect an adjacent temporary span like they did during this project:

Here are some neat in-process photos of the temporary span construction.

Quote:
Installation of a temporary river span will allow repairs to landmark Tyngsboro Bridge.

Work crews installed a 650-foot temporary bridge across the Merrimack River as part of a Massachusetts Highway Department (MHD) effort to repair the Tyngsboro Bridge, a 70-year-old landmark near the New Hampshire border.

Atlantic Bridge & Engineering Inc., Salisbury, Mass., assembled a Mabey Panel Bridge on the east side of the [site]. The bridge will rest on a temporary abutment and four piers built by the $4.75-million project's general contractor, SPS New England, also of Salisbury.

Last edited by bigpicture7; 05-20-2018 at 05:26 PM.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #204
Joel N. Weber II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Gilmore bridge to Cambridge during rush hour is a nightmare. One of the worst bottlenecks in Boston.
A one lane exit ramp through the park to North Point Blvd would probably help.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #205
shmessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I drove in Boston in 1988 and I do in 2018. It is not nearly the same place in many many ways
+1.

I have no idea what movie Jahvon09 is watching, but it isn't the same one anyone who has driven Boston in both eras has experienced.

My guess it that he/she is a Gen-Z who has absolutely no clue what the elevated Central Artery was like.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:54 PM   #206
Charlie_mta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Why not erect an adjacent temporary span...
On the southern end of the span, it's really tight for an adjacent temporary bridge. I do think a one-lane temporary bridge for emergency vehicles only could fit in, and is necessary given the jammed-up traffic on the other open routes.
Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #207
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_mta View Post
On the southern end of the span, it's really tight for an adjacent temporary bridge. I do think a one-lane temporary bridge for emergency vehicles only could fit in, and is necessary given the jammed-up traffic on the other open routes.
It seems it would maybe/possibly fit on the side with the tennis courts (def. not the other side)? Of course the project would temporarily have to commandeer land there and probably at the parking lot of the residence inn on the other shore. I just think it's worth exploring (and maybe it has been) given the egregious time currently slated for this bridge re-build to take. It is, of course, a totally different context than the tyngsboro example (e.g., urban vs. totally not urban), but the example case was a non-trivial 650' span across the merrimack. The construction/break-down of the temp bridge went really smoothly there...they even demolished the temporary concrete piers and abutments afterwards.

Last edited by bigpicture7; 05-21-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #208
CSTH

Quote:
It seems it would maybe/possibly fit on the side with the tennis courts (def. not the other side)? Of course the project would temporarily have to commandeer land there and probably at the parking lot of the residence inn on the other shore. I just think it's worth exploring (and maybe it has been) given the egregious time currently slated for this bridge re-build to take.
I say, why not rebuild the old Beverly St bridge over the Dam first, as a permanent span, and then re do the NW bridge. Once that's done the Bev bridge can turn into a pedestrian-only crossing. And maybe the bus lane. #crazypitches
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #209
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
+1.

I have no idea what movie Jahvon09 is watching, but it isn't the same one anyone who has driven Boston in both eras has experienced.

My guess it that he/she is a Gen-Z who has absolutely no clue what the elevated Central Artery was like.
Yup, kids these days they don't value a dollah. Don't like chewing but they sure can swallah

Seriously, I didn't intend to diminish another members' opinion but to express my opinion that driving in Boston today is actually easier than before the Big Dig. However the Big Dig was not and is not without its flaws.
I like the design for the new NW bridge and I don't see any other reasonable alternative for replacing the old one.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #210
shmessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Yup, kids these days they don't value a dollah. Don't like chewing but they sure can swallah

Seriously, I didn't intend to diminish another members' opinion but to express my opinion that driving in Boston today is actually easier than before the Big Dig. However the Big Dig was not and is not without its flaws.
I like the design for the new NW bridge and I don't see any other reasonable alternative for replacing the old one.
Amen. Does it have flaws? Sure.

But I challenge anyone to seriously state it wasn't worth every (bloated) penny.

21st century Boston is not 21st century Boston without it. This city would have been angling downward. The traffic choke would have suffocated any possible development by this point.

Blessings to this new NW Bridge. We need more stent procedures to keep the heart of Boston pumping and thriving.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #211
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
Amen. Does it have flaws? Sure.

But I challenge anyone to seriously state it wasn't worth every (bloated) penny.

21st century Boston is not 21st century Boston without it. This city would have been angling downward. The traffic choke would have suffocated any possible development by this point.

Blessings to this new NW Bridge. We need more stent procedures to keep the heart of Boston pumping and thriving.
If Boston spent half of what they did and turned I93 into a Blvd and created a NSRL with more frequent transit service i'd argue that economic growth would be even better then it is today.

San Francisco tore down their elevated highway and they're certainly not hurting economically.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #212
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
If Boston spent half of what they did and turned I93 into a Blvd and created a NSRL with more frequent transit service i'd argue that economic growth would be even better then it is today.

San Francisco tore down their elevated highway and they're certainly not hurting economically.
That's because their elevated freeway was a spur route that basically functioned as an onramp. Try tearing down I-80/US-101 and see what happens there.

...but we've had this argument many, many times.
Equilibria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #213
Charlie_mta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
That's because their elevated freeway was a spur route that basically functioned as an onramp. Try tearing down I-80/US-101 and see what happens there.
Absolutely true. In SF they tore down a stub freeway that went nowhere. In contrast, Boston's Central Artery is the sole north-south expressway through the city, tying together several expressways into it.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #214
Scott

Imagine a world where the Central Artery was a surface road. Just off the top of my head, the waterfront would be blocked off for generations the traffic lights would be enough to bring the region to it's knees and a good bit of the Bulfinch Triangle would still have to be a ramp to the Charles River crossing
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #215
goldenretrievers

Notice to Proceed Issued for North Washington Street Bridge Reconstruction
goldenretrievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #216
goldenretrievers

Overnight Off-Peak Lane Closures for N. Washington Street Bridge Begin in October

Quote:
MassDOT is reminding the public that work-related activities, including utility operations, are beginning this month on the N. Washington Street bridge connecting the North End and Charlestown. This utility work will involve overnight off-peak lane closures.
Quote:
Major construction will begin in Spring 2019. At that time, it is expected that motorists will have access to two travel lanes in the inbound direction toward the North End, and one outbound lane toward Charlestown, and pedestrian and cyclist access will be maintained. This excludes periods when there will be one lane in each direction, to allow the crews to demolish a portion of the main truss span and replace it with a temporary span.
goldenretrievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #217
Charlie_mta

Well, thankfully they're not closing the bridge completely during construction, which was the original plan.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #218
chmeeee

2 in 1 out is effectively how it operates now anyways.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #219
bigpicture7

Quote:

Hah, apparently these project planners read aB to get ideas (jk!!)

New Globe article today:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...rMM/story.html

Quote:
...now state officials say they will build a temporary, three-lane bridge over the Charles River, next to the existing century-old structure, beginning early next year. The “no-frills” structure will take about one year to build, said John McInerney, director of the highway department’s Boston region, and will allow the state to always maintain at least three lanes of traffic throughout the entire construction period.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #220
Jahvon09

Quote:

They should've done that for Long Island as well.
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote