archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #81
FK4

Re: Ode to Brutalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
Interesting link from an artistic viewpoint.

30 pictures. Yes, I find the angles and sculpture of it compelling.

Now, who can tell me the total number of humanoids in the sum of those pictures?

Sadly, THAT'S the point.
As was mentioned by someone else above, that's only partly true - obviously the photographer waited to get people-less pics.... now, whether you think these buildings actually look better as art pieces or can still look great when filled with people is another question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
Thanks for the link, statler. Paulo Mendes da Rocha is a rockstar with concrete.

Hoping to see this at MoMA some weekend:

Toward a Concrete Utopia: Architecture in Yugoslavia, 1948–1980

The range of expression is wide, from purely utilitarian to visionary futurist grandeur.

And a more humane take on hard modernism, in scenic Iceland. I'm embarrassed to say that I was unfamiliar with Högna Sigurđardóttir's work.
Definitely need to get to NYC before that closes. Looks awesome.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #82
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
- obviously the photographer waited to get people-less pics.... now, whether you think these buildings actually look better as art pieces or can still look great when filled with people is another question.
I understand the unpeopled aesthetic, but it's become overused, and to your point, unhelpful in broadening the audience for challenging architecture.

These folks seem to be having a lovely time:

The Barbican is arguably the greatest "one-hit-wonder" in British Brutalism. With the exception of Murray Edwards College at Cambridge University, there's nothing Chamberlin, Powell and Bon's portfolio possessed of Barbican's symphonic and moody futurism.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #83
vanshnookenraggen

Barbicon, the C7 building in Harvard Sq, the Aquarium and the Christian Science Plaza all prove one thing: brutalism can work if it has well designed urbanism. People love well defined and designed urban spaces. Shit, that's why suburban malls were so popular; they were the urban market in a self contained bubble.

Too many people are too concerned with how a building looks and not how it works within the city. City Hall would be an icon if it was surrounded by a plaza that people wanted to use. I love the Paul Rudolph Hurley Building to death but that is going to be far harder to urbanize.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #84
Arlington

Are most beton brut structures uninsulated? It seemed to be an era with a lot of single-pane glass and a pre-1973 sense of cheap heat (or building in southern Europe where all you need is thermal mass).

What did they do with Le Corbusier's museum at Harvard? How do they keep the floor from getting freezing cold where it juts over the foundation(s)?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #85
shmessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
I understand the unpeopled aesthetic, but it's become overused, and to your point, unhelpful in broadening the audience for challenging architecture.

These folks seem to be having a lovely time:

The Barbican is arguably the greatest "one-hit-wonder" in British Brutalism. With the exception of Murray Edwards College at Cambridge University, there's nothing Chamberlin, Powell and Bon's portfolio possessed of Barbican's symphonic and moody futurism.
The massive difference between the Barbican and the 30 pictures of locations in that previous link are the ground floors of the buildings

Compare your two Barbican pictures that have windows, doors and openings inviting interaction and the blank walls of the link's 30 locations.

Humanity can be accomplished with Brutalism, but the architect needs to be deliberate to achieve it.

shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote