archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #21
AmericanFolkLegend

Re: 93 South Dorchester

Pelhamhall, kind of tough to play the corruption card on this one. The city allowed the exact same kind of billboard at the new WGBH building in Brighton (a billboard that will presumably be more visible as it is cantilevered over the Pike). Are we to assume that the Mayor was skimming off the top at WGBH
AmericanFolkLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #22
Bos77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFolkLegend View Post
Pelhamhall, kind of tough to play the corruption card on this one. The city allowed the exact same kind of billboard at the new WGBH building in Brighton (a billboard that will presumably be more visible as it is cantilevered over the Pike). Are we to assume that the Mayor was skimming off the top at WGBH
No the question is why a building surrounded by a residential area, is allowed to put up a giant TV screen like WGBH. Yet a new commercial building, surrounded by an ocean of asphalt and big box shopping, would be denied the same opportunity (not that I'm complaining about not having another fugly billboard).

It's just another example of how inconsistent this city's approval and zoning process is, based on who Hizzonah likes or dislikes.
Bos77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
statler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos77 View Post
It's just another example of how inconsistent this city's approval and zoning process is, based on who Hizzonah likes or dislikes.
It's like we live in some sort of democratic republic or something.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #24
pelhamhall

My neighborhood group got to "vote" on the South Bay billboard. The Union Las Vegas Television within an actual residential neighborhood... well... that was taken out of our hands. That wasn't for us to decide.

I don't recall the WGBH billboard ever planning gaudy political commercials? I thought the WGBH was just plain ole' art? Correct me if I'm wrong.
pelhamhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #25
JohnAKeith

You all wonder how WGBH got the sign?

"To-o-o-night on Greater Boston, Mayor Thomas Menino on how he's a great mayor and how he's doing great things for the great city of Boston."

"I'm Emily Rooney ... Mr. Menino, besides the trash problem, how do you keep doing such great things for our great city?"
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #26
JohnCostello

Sleepy's is going on the entire second floor of the new retail building at South Bay. It be a much a billboard for them as a retail location.
JohnCostello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #27
Boston02124

Another drive by on 93!
Boston02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #28
eljusticiero67

ugh! what the HELL!
eljusticiero67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #29
eljusticiero67

can we vote to ban certain architectural themes, for example:
1) no protruding chunks of concrete
2) no brown exterior unless its brick... especially if it follows a solid row of windows
Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
kennedy

No we cannot. There are architects who can do both of those beautifully. Boston does not need to stifle any more creativity and innovation than it already does.
kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #31
vanshnookenraggen

That's really ugly but I like it. Looks like it was made of Legos. Also looks like a poor man's WGBH had a baby with poor woman's Macallen.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #32
Padre Mike

I don't know...the building's not finished yet and I'm intrigued...kinda like what I see in the pic, but will need to view it in person and on site.
Padre Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #33
Shepard

It defies any aesthetic rationale while still looking like it made an effort. That's a great effect.

I'm glad it's not downtown, but as provocative eyecandy along 93... love it.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #34
eljusticiero67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
It defies any aesthetic rationale while still looking like it made an effort. That's a great effect.

I'm glad it's not downtown, but as provocative eyecandy along 93... love it.
you know i see what your saying. but that kind of thing has as much lasting value as having a gimicky band name that is funny the first time you hear it and less so everytime thereafter (get the simpsons reference). sooner or later people will stop thinking about this building in any meaningful way and just see this building as ugly.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #35
smw2340

I drive by this building every day and cannot believe how much of a turn for the worst it took when they started with this patchwork siding. I think it looks terrible and looks very cheap up close. The frame of the building gave me hope that this would look great when finished, now I think it is a lost cause.
smw2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #36
pelhamhall

The best worst part of this building is that the lighter vomit/diarrhea colored panels actually change color as you drive past them. When there is no light on these panels, they actually can look deep orange/brown. It's very interesting. The whole thing is one gigantic hulking mess, located literally feet away from a row of triple deckers. These are poor people living in the triple deckers. The powerful union can do what it wants. If this was a developer, there would be no hulking mess in these people's back yards... especially not one with a gigantic television that will display political commercials.

That being said... I like it. It's a nice conversation piece.
pelhamhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #37
Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelhamhall View Post
The powerful union can do what it wants. If this was a developer, there would be no hulking mess in these people's back yards...
Lesson: Time for a union takeover/occupation of the Seaport?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #38
Corey

Send a message via AIM to Corey

Hopefully this will get more people to use mass transit instead of driving their single-occupancy vehicles past this eyesore every day. Consider it punishment. :P

I've never been on 93 South of Boston but I imagine that the areas by the highway aren't places you'd except to see world-class buildings. Seems like a good place to try something funky like this.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #39
Justin7

It's more interesting that most buildings you'll see on a stretch of highway like this.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #40
Shepard

I just realized: it should have been 10 stories taller.