archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #101
Kinopio

Re: Emerson College - Little Building Addition + Renovation | 80 Boylston St | Downto

Widening the Boylston street sidewalk for one block is nice and it should be the first step to making it pedestrian only similar to St Catherine street in Montreal. They already close it down for parades and such.
Kinopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #102
mass88

Re: Emerson College - Little Building Addition + Renovation | 80 Boylston St | Downto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinopio View Post
Widening the Boylston street sidewalk for one block is nice and it should be the first step to making it pedestrian only similar to St Catherine street in Montreal. They already close it down for parades and such.
The only difference (and it's a big one) is that in Montreal's central core, you have a neat grid with plenty of wide streets. So taking a portion of St. Catherine and closing it to cars is a lot easier managed up there than it is in Boston's tangled mess of streets.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #103
tobyjug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinopio View Post
I haven't been to Montreal since the Grand Prix in June. When did they close St Catherine to traffic?
tobyjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #104
jdrinboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
I haven't been to Montreal since the Grand Prix in June. When did they close St Catherine to traffic?
They haven't. During festival season, they will periodically shut down a small portion of St Catherine's street from Bleury Street to St. Laurent around Place Des Artes. But it is not permanent.

They will also shut down the St. Catherines Street in the Gay Village during the summer months between Berri Street and Pappineau Avenue, which is certainly pleasant. However, traffic is allowed to cross St. Catherine on the north/south streets, so you still need to take care when walking the street near intersections.
jdrinboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #105
stevebikes

edit: retrying photos

Last edited by stevebikes; 12-03-2018 at 08:00 AM.
stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #106
odurandina

This is awesome.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #107
vanshnookenraggen

Can't see them.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #108
commuter guy

I can't see the pic from stevebikes either
commuter guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #109
stevebikes

Weird. Some of the other pics I was embedding straight from Google Photos are still showing, like in the GE thread.

edit:

Let me know if they're working now and I'll fix the Liberty Plaza ones.
stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #110
Justin7

They are fixed, Steve. Thanks for the update.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #111
stick n move

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebikes View Post
I spy with my little eye, Marriott Moxy almost finished cladding... in the sky.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote