archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
DAVE

Walpole Center Developments

I figured that not many people have any reason to go through walpole center, but there has actually been a lot of activity in the past year or so, so I decided to start a thread to post some photos.

There are currently two large developments with about ~200 units each(one next to the Walpole Commuter Rail Station and the other on East street also near the station).

Libery Village
I don't have photos of the progress on this one yet but there is at least the rendering online. This replaces the YMCA, a bar and several others. These were demolished several months ago.

Slightly different renderings found here:
http://walpole.wickedlocal.com/news/...age-apartments

95 West Street
This is the location directly next to the Walpole Station. I haven't been able to find any renderings online of this, but town meeting minutes have said they are required to keep the character of the other buildings, which are old industrial brick. This will also be residential with ground floor retail. Here is an album of the first steel going up!
https://imgur.com/a/dAWPuop

Walpole has also just completed a new Fire station which actually came out pretty nice. I will take photos of that and post them here over time.
DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
DAVE

Re: Walpole Center Developments

There's been lots of construction on the 95 West Street site...the 'Liberty Village' location has been moving much slower and with an odd type of construction.

95 West Street

Liberty Village

Old 02-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Shepard

Thanks, Dave. Of all the towns on the Route 1 corridor, Walpole has one of the more vibrant and intact centers, with some funky little businesses that add a great deal of flavor. I love seeing it get some developer attention.

Anyone in the area in nicer weather should also try to visit Francis William Bird Park - designed by Olmsted protege John Nolen, it's a large expanse of rolling English-style countryside, and on the perimeter you have winding wooded paths with stone bridges over neat little streams. They also usually have a great calendar of events at the bandstand.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
Shepard

Small tangent... what do people call the Route 1 corridor towns, as a region? Sometimes it's included as South Shore, but I think that's really pushing it. It's also clearly not Metrowest. I'm pretty much talking about the entire region that's radially between Route 24 (east of which is more clearly South Shore) and Route 109 (north of which is more clearly Metrowest).
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
DAVE

MAPC has it labeled as three rivers, although I've never heard that used. I usually just say near gillette, or "you know the prison?"
Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
shawn

Thanks Dave. Both my parents are from Walpole and I grew up in Foxboro, with frequent visits to my grandfatherís home near the Norwood border. I love Walpole, that whole area actually (Walpole, Foxboro, Sharon, Norwood, Westwood). Out of these towns, Walpole and Norwood have the best town centers.

Iíve never heard Three Rivers used either. Definitely not South Shore. I often hear Hockomock used, but less so for Walpole and Westwood and more so for further south (aligned with the athletic league). Iíve also heard South Norfolk County.

There is a real dividing line along Rt 1, and itís at Foxboro. South of Gillette is decidedly more Providence-aligned than Boston. Technically all of Bristol County is part of the Providence metro, but the northern areas are still squarely Boston-facing (like Easton and Mansfield). Rt 1 Plaineville, North Attleboro, and Attleboro feel more Providence-facing.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
akmags

Should note that the map above is missing the Metro South Chamber of Commerce: https://www.metrosouthchamber.com/region/aboutregion/
akmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
Lrfox

I almost jokingly said "Near Gillette" until I realized that it's not really a joke. It's in the stadium area, and therefore the Foxboro area, which is how I've identified that region. It's too far east of Milford/Millis/Medway to be part of that area (is that technically the Blackstone Corridor?), and it's too far West of the South Shore to be part of that. I agree with Hockomock - I usually hear that with Easton, Stoughton, Raynham, and sometimes Mansfield and Sharon. But really Route 24 between Taunton and Canton.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
atlantaden

Having grown up in Bridgewater, I have to say that the MetroSouth Chamber of Commerce makes the most sense for the area As far as the name Hockomock, this area owns the name, it's where the Hockomock swamp is located, and where the famous legend of the Bridgewater Triangle originated.

http://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.c...ater-triangle/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgewater_Triangle

http://thebridgewatertriangledocumen...ater-triangle/
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote