archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #181
Justin7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,461
Re: Summer St. Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfun View Post
The cost to ride a gondola to the top of Mammoth is currently $29, ride takes between 10-15 minutes. How much is the Boston gondola going to charge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfun View Post
The East London gondola system.

According to CNN, "This [the annual operating cost] is massively greater than the revenue from fares income." The cheapest fare per trip would be $2.35 per trip. A one-ride cash fare (basically the fare for tourists) is $6.25.
You went from a $29/trip example to show how crazy expensive this would be to a $2.35/trip example to show how it will would lose money. That is some extreme cherry picking. And as noted above, you've failed to understand the basic efficiencies of the system. Maybe do some honest research instead of just throwing out whatever random fact you stumble across while googling? You're obviously biased and grasping at anything you think may support your argument.
__________________
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #182
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,053
Re: Summer St. Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
You went from a $29/trip example to show how crazy expensive this would be to a $2.35/trip example to show how it will would lose money. That is some extreme cherry picking. And as noted above, you've failed to understand the basic efficiencies of the system. Maybe do some honest research instead of just throwing out whatever random fact you stumble across while googling? You're obviously biased and grasping at anything you think may support your argument.
THIS.

I don't think anyone is here is saying BUILD IS NOW AT ANY COST, but we certainly shouldn't discard the idea simply because it hasn't been done in Boston before.

Systems exist in developed and developing countries. Places like Texas, Disney, and London have the same concerns about safety, liability, accessibility, and cost. They've made it work for the public, so clearly these concerns aren't fatal flaws.

And again, Disney is building this as a transportation option to replace a crowded shuttle bus system, not as a pleasure ride, in place of rail expansion.

If you've been to Disney, you know there's an enormous density of wheelchair users, deathly obese people, and children. If they are able to make it work, anyone can.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #183
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,573
Re: Summer St. Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
THIS.

I don't think anyone is here is saying BUILD IS NOW AT ANY COST, but we certainly shouldn't discard the idea simply because it hasn't been done in Boston before.

Systems exist in developed and developing countries. Places like Texas, Disney, and London have the same concerns about safety, liability, accessibility, and cost. They've made it work for the public, so clearly these concerns aren't fatal flaws.

And again, Disney is building this as a transportation option to replace a crowded shuttle bus system, not as a pleasure ride, in place of rail expansion.

If you've been to Disney, you know there's an enormous density of wheelchair users, deathly obese people, and children. If they are able to make it work, anyone can.
I am assuming that Disney doesn't have an existing $650 million subway tunnel that could be improved upon, running the same general route.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #184
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,053
Re: Summer St. Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
I am assuming that Disney doesn't have an existing $650 million subway tunnel that could be improved upon, running the same general route.
They have a 15 mile rail system, although I can't find out how much they spent to build it.

However, a similar system built recently cost $50 million per mile.

So that would have been $750 million.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #185
ceo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 112
Re: Summer St. Gondola

With no net elevation gain I'm guessing the power requirements would be a good bit less; most gondolas haul people up really high mountains and almost none of them ride down. As a minor clarification, on most systems there is only the one motor; in non-drive stations the tire banks etc. are driven by the haul rope.

I still can't figure how they're planning on dropping $100 mil on this thing; with only three stations it ought to be about a quarter of that. This is all off-the-shelf, proven technology.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #186
stellarfun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: salem ma and washington dc
Posts: 4,385
Re: Summer St. Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
They have a 15 mile rail system, although I can't find out how much they spent to build it.

However, a similar system built recently cost $50 million per mile.

So that would have been $750 million.
The monorail or parts of it, are original to WDW, so the costs of the original segments would be prices of nearly 50 years ago.

__________________
A man gazing on the stars is at the mercy of the puddles in the road
stellarfun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #187
Smartiro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winchester
Posts: 370
Re: Summer St. Gondola

I am not sure how good this gondolas are for commuters, but it's certainly a tourist attraction.
Smartiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #188
DominusNovus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 682
Re: Summer St. Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo View Post
With no net elevation gain I'm guessing the power requirements would be a good bit less; most gondolas haul people up really high mountains and almost none of them ride down. As a minor clarification, on most systems there is only the one motor; in non-drive stations the tire banks etc. are driven by the haul rope.

I still can't figure how they're planning on dropping $100 mil on this thing; with only three stations it ought to be about a quarter of that. This is all off-the-shelf, proven technology.
Actually, would the elevation really matter that much? I’m assuming the gondolas are the majority of the weight carried, and they’re all balanced by gondolas going down slope.
__________________
The Goal of Mass Transit should be to get you from Bed to Boss to Bar and back again.
DominusNovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #189
tangent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,478
Re: Summer St. Gondola

Bottom line is that $100 million being required from the developer could best be used to increase the capacity of the Silver line and then some.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #190
ceo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 112
Re: Summer St. Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominusNovus View Post
Actually, would the elevation really matter that much? I’m assuming the gondolas are the majority of the weight carried, and they’re all balanced by gondolas going down slope.
8 150# people weigh 1200 pounds, and the carriers don't weigh particularly more than that. On some mountain installations (more often chairlifts), they have to limit the number of people who can ride down at once, because the motor and drive electronics aren't set up to handle an overhauling load.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #191
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 702
Re: Summer St. Gondola


$400G floated for Seaport gondola study


Although it seems the study (not paid for by tax dollars) will also include all other modes of transit, too.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #192
Charlie_mta
Senior Member
 
Charlie_mta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,204
Re: Summer St. Gondola

I hope this white elephant fades away soon.
Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #193
sm89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somerville
Posts: 736
Re: Summer St. Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post

$400G floated for Seaport gondola study


Although it seems the study (not paid for by tax dollars) will also include all other modes of transit, too.
It's more like they will study other modes of transit, but will include a look into the Gondola. The article is written to make it seem like the focus is on the Gondola, which it most definitely is not.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #194
stevebikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 157
Re: Summer St. Gondola

I saw a construction crew out finally fixing the slanted sidewalks on Summer St north of Melcher this week. Why they don't just build out a cycle track at the same time, I have no idea.
stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St | Seaport 12345 Development Projects 190 10-06-2018 09:37 PM
Dorms become hotel during summer? BostonUrbEx Design a Better Boston 15 11-28-2012 05:48 PM
2028 Summer Olympic Bid Game! LordStanleyCup2011 General 11 05-14-2012 10:44 PM
Green Line D branch: complete summer shutdown czsz Transit and Infrastructure 26 11-13-2007 08:47 AM
Portland - Summer 2006 - Round #2 Corey Greater New England 6 09-23-2006 09:07 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.