archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
dirtywater

Under Construction Condo Development | 33-61 Temple Street | Beacon Hill

A letter of intent was filed before the end of the year for a new residential project on two Suffolk University properties on Beacon Hill. From Globe Street:

Quote:
The project in Beacon Hill by JDMD Owner, LLC if approved would redevelop properties at 33-61 Temple St. Sean T. O’Donovan, an attorney representing JDMD Owner, states in the Letter of Intent to the BRA that the project would redevelop two buildings currently being used by Suffolk University into residential space. JDMD Owner is managed by Rafferty, Matthew Snyder and David Ridini. The team also includes The Architectural Team and EBI Consulting.

As detailed in its letter, the firm would redevelop the existing six-story building at 61 Temple St. known as the Gleason L. & Hiram J. Archer Building and the existing building at 33-51 Temple St., known as the Franklin J. Donahue Building, into a 75-unit residential condominium development. Currently, both buildings are being used for classroom and administrative functions by Suffolk University.

O’Donovan tells the BRA in its letter that it intends to file an Expanded Project Notification Form “providing significant additional details and plans for the proposed project within approximately 90 days…”
dirtywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Lrfox

Re: 33-61 Temple Street

Interesting. I walk up/down Temple Street quite a bit. Temple Street Park is one of my favorite places to have lunch in the summer when schools out as it's almost always shaded and quiet. Converting these buildings (which are, by far, the worst buildings on the street) to condos is definitely going to make the street a quieter place in general. The school generates most of the activity there.

also, isn't there theater/auditorium space in one of those buildings? If so, what's going to happen to it? Is it worth saving?
Lrfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
Reznor

Re: Condo Development | 33-61 Temple Street | Beacon Hill

Including these two buildings, this would make 4 buildings that Suffolk has sold off. Can we assume that they're relocating all the uses of these buildings to their newly built classroom/academic building? Do they own any additional buildings on Temple Place or Cambridge Street?
Reznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
TomOfBoston

Those buildings are so "institutional" and ugly. It would be better to demolish them and build new contextual residential buildings. Or by "redevelop" do they mean to tear them down and rebuild?
TomOfBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
datadyne007

Re: 33-61 Temple Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Interesting. I walk up/down Temple Street quite a bit. Temple Street Park is one of my favorite places to have lunch in the summer when schools out as it's almost always shaded and quiet. Converting these buildings (which are, by far, the worst buildings on the street) to condos is definitely going to make the street a quieter place in general. The school generates most of the activity there.

also, isn't there theater/auditorium space in one of those buildings? If so, what's going to happen to it? Is it worth saving?
I had no idea that Temple Street Park existed! Looks like an amazing pocket park! Will definitely check it out this spring.

This is the perfect locale for some housing.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
BeeLine

Not 33-61 Temple but next door on Derne Street two buildings are being renovated and turned into condos.

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
odurandina

That's pretty nice.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
JSic

Very nice infill. More like this please.
JSic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
cca

Inoffensive ...and invisible when complete. Still expensive though.

cca
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
RandomWalk

"2-6 bedrooms"

Too bad the vast majority of residential developments don't offer that kind of range. It's mostly 1-2 bedrooms, which don't accommodate families for the long haul.
RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #11
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWalk View Post
"2-6 bedrooms"

Too bad the vast majority of residential developments don't offer that kind of range. It's mostly 1-2 bedrooms, which don't accommodate families for the long haul.
I grew up, with my family, on the second floor of a triple-decker in Somerville. I now live in a large Somerville two-family with a whole bunch of Millennial housemates. One of my brothers lives in another Somerville triple-decker, also with a bunch of Millennial roommates. My empty-nester parents live in a fairly large multiple bedroom family house in the near-suburbs (my family moved there from the Somerville triple-decker during my mid-childhood for the better schools), and they have more bedrooms than people.

If we build enough 1-2 bedrooms to meet the huge demand created by young professionals and retiring baby boomers, this will free up our traditional housing stock for families. I, my brother, and my parents would all prefer to live in smaller units than where we live now, but the short supply of these types of units is one of the main factors preventing that. As a result, we're all taking up larger, more family-oriented units than is optimal. This applies to my brother and me more than my parents--realistically, they're pretty attached to their house and probably wouldn't move even though they say they'd like to--but plenty of their peers are itching to downsize and finding few options.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
BussesAin'tTrains

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
I grew up, with my family, on the second floor of a triple-decker in Somerville. I now live in a large Somerville two-family with a whole bunch of Millennial housemates. One of my brothers lives in another Somerville triple-decker, also with a bunch of Millennial roommates. My empty-nester parents live in a fairly large multiple bedroom family house in the near-suburbs (my family moved there from the Somerville triple-decker during my mid-childhood for the better schools), and they have more bedrooms than people.

If we build enough 1-2 bedrooms to meet the huge demand created by young professionals and retiring baby boomers, this will free up our traditional housing stock for families. I, my brother, and my parents would all prefer to live in smaller units than where we live now, but the short supply of these types of units is one of the main factors preventing that. As a result, we're all taking up larger, more family-oriented units than is optimal. This applies to my brother and me more than my parents--realistically, they're pretty attached to their house and probably wouldn't move even though they say they'd like to--but plenty of their peers are itching to downsize and finding few options.
I feel this too, but a big part of Millennial apartment sharing isn't only the dearth of 1-2 br units. It's also defraying the costs. Lots of these Millennials shacking up with 2-4 roommates in a multi-br unit wouldn't be able to afford a 1bed on their own, or even a 2bed with one roommate.

Granted if enough of these units are built prices on 1/2beds could decrease, but a lot of Millennials living with multiple roommates want to live near the city, but can only afford it in an arrangement that significantly defrays costs.
BussesAin'tTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
fattony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post

All of this.

There is no shortage of family sized housing stock in the Boston area. I know I have seen graphics from some city report on how many 3+ bedroom homes there are in the city. The answer was: way, way more than there are families with multiple children.

The city studies this stuff and influences developers. It is no mistake that the vast majority of what is being built is 1-2 beds. Just because there are people screeching that not enough "family" housing is being built doesn't mean it is true.
fattony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Justin7

People seem to think this is a new building.

Before: https://goo.gl/maps/F9CsANtq4TU2

New cornice and windows look nice.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BussesAin'tTrains View Post
I feel this too, but a big part of Millennial apartment sharing isn't only the dearth of 1-2 br units. It's also defraying the costs. Lots of these Millennials shacking up with 2-4 roommates in a multi-br unit wouldn't be able to afford a 1bed on their own, or even a 2bed with one roommate.

Granted if enough of these units are built prices on 1/2beds could decrease, but a lot of Millennials living with multiple roommates want to live near the city, but can only afford it in an arrangement that significantly defrays costs.
Right, but the costs are high because of the dearth of apartments. Some with small family sizes (both young and old) will always choose large units over small units, but more would choose small units if there were more of them to choose from.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
goldenretrievers

construction photos per bldup: Construction of exclusive Archer Residences condominium development on Beacon Hill begins
goldenretrievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #17
BeeLine

This is the renovation of 45 Temple (old SU buildings).

Old 08-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #18
Wonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
Those buildings are so "institutional" and ugly. It would be better to demolish them and build new contextual residential buildings. Or by "redevelop" do they mean to tear them down and rebuild?
Replying to an old post, but I just found this thread. They’ve gutted the interiors of both buildings to the structure, and also removed the exterior envelope of the newer/uglier one altogether. I tried to get a closer look inside the older one on the corner of Derne, and it looks like they’re removing structure related to the theatre space to accommodate the new residences.
Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:40 AM   #19
BeeLine

Not much to see, but I guess it is progressing under it's wrapings.