archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #521
DominusNovus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
"What about those of us with a 95 year old grandparent that requires an oxygen tank, our 7 kids, and the 4 St bernards? The Silver Line won't cut it"

Who gives a shit about your scenario.
I gotta call that out. A family flying with kids is not nearly as unique a situation as what you describe.
__________________
The Goal of Mass Transit should be to get you from Bed to Boss to Bar and back again.
DominusNovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #522
Wonk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 5
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

And kids means anyone living in the same residence between the ages of 0 and 22 (or 30 now, I guess). No one living outside of Boston, under the same roof, and traveling together are going to take public transportation. The best you're going to get is a single Uber ride.
Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #523
atlantaden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,772
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

In all the times I've taken the Silver Line bus from Logan to South Station I don't believe I've ever seen children on the bus.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #524
DominusNovus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
And kids means anyone living in the same residence between the ages of 0 and 22 (or 30 now, I guess). No one living outside of Boston, under the same roof, and traveling together are going to take public transportation. The best you're going to get is a single Uber ride.
This is a very good point, if Iím reading you correctly. Families are far less likely to take mass transit, in general, so theyíre going to be taking ubers or taxis. I know, as someone who has driven for uber, that a fair percentage of uber trips to the airport include families. Plus, I donít have an SUV, for whom the percentage would be even higher.
__________________
The Goal of Mass Transit should be to get you from Bed to Boss to Bar and back again.
DominusNovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #525
TallIsGood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 274
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Three transfers is fine for an infrequent single or couple traveling. It doesnít work for families and it doesnít work for frequent travelers. I fly a lot and generally take Atul flights out 5-6am (NY or Chicago) or late flights say 9-11pm to Europe. Mass transit isnt practical for me from the western suburbs given how often Iím flying and the generally off hours.
TallIsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #526
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,524
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallIsGood View Post
Three transfers is fine for an infrequent single or couple traveling. It doesnít work for families and it doesnít work for frequent travelers. I fly a lot and generally take Atul flights out 5-6am (NY or Chicago) or late flights say 9-11pm to Europe. Mass transit isnt practical for me from the western suburbs given how often Iím flying and the generally off hours.
If we really want people to use regional rail to access Logan, then we need to bring regional rail directly to Logan. Think a NSRL, but with Logan as Central Station.

Rail needs to be the faster option, with more direct access than driving. Otherwise people will stay in their cars.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #527
Shepard
Senior Member
 
Shepard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,350
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
If we really want people to use regional rail to access Logan, then we need to bring regional rail directly to Logan. Think a NSRL, but with Logan as Central Station.

Rail needs to be the faster option, with more direct access than driving. Otherwise people will stay in their cars.
To state the obvious, geography makes this extremely difficult. Easy to do for Heathrow, Gatwick, O'Hare, etc. Hard to do on a harbor peninsula. Maybe a third Williams tunnel for transit could have somewhat solved this, but even then it would more likely have been for a GL/rapid transit branch than a passage for "regional rail" (whatever that is)

Unfortunately, many airports on the water have this issue. How's the train ride into LaGuardia? What about that express into JFK? How's the train to LAX from downtown LA or anywhere on the West Side?

If you want to get people into and out of Boston efficiently, using "regional rail" (whatever that is) to shuttle people directly into and out of an airport, then the best bet in my mind would be a T.F. Green Express.

I'm happy to be corrected if there's actually something more feasible.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #528
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,524
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
To state the obvious, geography makes this extremely difficult. Easy to do for Heathrow, Gatwick, O'Hare, etc. Hard to do on a harbor peninsula. Maybe a third Williams tunnel for transit could have somewhat solved this, but even then it would more likely have been for a GL/rapid transit branch than a passage for "regional rail" (whatever that is)

Unfortunately, many airports on the water have this issue. How's the train ride into LaGuardia? What about that express into JFK? How's the train to LAX from downtown LA or anywhere on the West Side?

If you want to get people into and out of Boston efficiently, using "regional rail" (whatever that is) to shuttle people directly into and out of an airport, then the best bet in my mind would be a T.F. Green Express.

I'm happy to be corrected if there's actually something more feasible.
I absolutely agree that it would be costly and an engineering challenge, but certainly not impossible.

The Copenhagen airport (waterfront location) is serviced by both regional rail and direct service to their central station, for example. You can get to a number of points throughout Denmark without a transfer.

Charles de Gaulle (Paris) (not waterfront obviously) has exceptional train service including both regional rail and TGV service to points throughout France. That was not cheap to implement, but they wanted to make it happen. (By the way, this arrangement not only reduces private vehicle usage, it also reduces the need for regional air flights across France -- an even bigger polluter per passenger!)

And that is kind of the point, you have to want to make mass transit work effectively and efficiently in order to have that happen. If our society continues to view transit as something for poor people, all we get are worn out trains and busses in dingy, century old tunnels.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #529
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,093
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallIsGood View Post
Three transfers is fine for an infrequent single or couple traveling. It doesnít work for families and it doesnít work for frequent travelers. I fly a lot and generally take Atul flights out 5-6am (NY or Chicago) or late flights say 9-11pm to Europe. Mass transit isnt practical for me from the western suburbs given how often Iím flying and the generally off hours.
Honestly I don't there is anything wrong with using a car or Uber during off hours. Congestion isin't a huge problem then.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #530
Shepard
Senior Member
 
Shepard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,350
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
I absolutely agree that it would be costly and an engineering challenge, but certainly not impossible.

The Copenhagen airport (waterfront location) is serviced by both regional rail and direct service to their central station, for example. You can get to a number of points throughout Denmark without a transfer.

Charles de Gaulle (Paris) (not waterfront obviously) has exceptional train service including both regional rail and TGV service to points throughout France. That was not cheap to implement, but they wanted to make it happen. (By the way, this arrangement not only reduces private vehicle usage, it also reduces the need for regional air flights across France -- an even bigger polluter per passenger!)

And that is kind of the point, you have to want to make mass transit work effectively and efficiently in order to have that happen. If our society continues to view transit as something for poor people, all we get are worn out trains and busses in dingy, century old tunnels.
I get it. One of my ideas has been to repurpose the HOV lanes of the Fort Point I-90 tunnel as a direct continuation of eastbound rail into the Seaport, gets you right onto the Track 61 alignment... and from there a potential rail tunnel alongside the TWT could bring it to Logan... and just thinking out loud here, you could have some northern CR lines branched down to the airport where they can meet... NSRL via airport? (BBY-or-SS -> Seaport -> Logan -> Chelsea -> North Station?)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #531
Ruairi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 182
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallIsGood View Post
Three transfers is fine for an infrequent single or couple traveling. It doesnít work for families and it doesnít work for frequent travelers. I fly a lot and generally take Atul flights out 5-6am (NY or Chicago) or late flights say 9-11pm to Europe. Mass transit isnt practical for me from the western suburbs given how often Iím flying and the generally off hours.
three transfers? as in four parts to your trip to logan? That's mad.
I live in east somerville and its two transfers orange > red > silver and that takes about an hour. If you want to get a Friday flight after work you could be stuck in the seaport area for 45 minutes. I usually stick up for the T but getting to logan is a joke! I always grab an uber.
Ruairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #532
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,093
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
three transfers? as in four parts to your trip to logan? That's mad.
I live in east somerville and its two transfers orange > red > silver and that takes about an hour. If you want to get a Friday flight after work you could be stuck in the seaport area for 45 minutes. I usually stick up for the T but getting to logan is a joke! I always grab an uber.
They need a frequent bus from North station to the airport imho. Maybe extend it to Kendall for good measure.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #533
kmp1284
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Holland Park, W11
Posts: 1,695
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

The Admirals Club on the west/legacy-US side of Terminal B is undergoing renovation so as to open in conjunction with the completion of the consolidation project. This is a big space with high ceilings and two walls of windows so I think it has the potential to turn out as one of AA's better clubs when finished.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #534
34f34f
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 132
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
three transfers? as in four parts to your trip to logan? That's mad.
I live in east somerville and its two transfers orange > red > silver and that takes about an hour. If you want to get a Friday flight after work you could be stuck in the seaport area for 45 minutes. I usually stick up for the T but getting to logan is a joke! I always grab an uber.
Why not try Orange-Blue-shuttle? Especially at rush hour, this minimizes the time in street traffic, especially in the most congested areas (the tunnel, the Seaportóheck, those T lines shouldn't be bad, either).
34f34f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #535
Ruairi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 182
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34f34f View Post
Why not try Orange-Blue-shuttle? Especially at rush hour, this minimizes the time in street traffic, especially in the most congested areas (the tunnel, the Seaportóheck, those T lines shouldn't be bad, either).
I haven't tried that, will give it a go, thanks
Think going to south station is really just a force of habit from living on the red line a few years back.
Anything to avoid going round in circles in the seaport.
Ruairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #536
sm89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somerville
Posts: 702
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34f34f View Post
Why not try Orange-Blue-shuttle? Especially at rush hour, this minimizes the time in street traffic, especially in the most congested areas (the tunnel, the Seaportóheck, those T lines shouldn't be bad, either).
I do this all the time. The blue line to the shuttles is definitely faster than the silver line from downtown (or anywhere on the orange line). The only annoying part is that they put so much anticipated "traffic time" into the schedules that you end up waiting at Airport and Conrac for what seems like eternity so that they don't arrive at the terminals too early.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #537
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,759
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
The Admirals Club on the west/legacy-US side of Terminal B is undergoing renovation so as to open in conjunction with the completion of the consolidation project. This is a big space with high ceilings and two walls of windows so I think it has the potential to turn out as one of AA's better clubs when finished.
I'd be curious to know where that club ranks in terms of size with the rest of their system?

Also, what's going to have to the Adminals Club on the soon to be old AA side?
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #538
BostonUrbEx
Senior Member
 
BostonUrbEx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Shore
Posts: 4,251
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

A lot of complaints about enticing families to take transit to the airport. My question is: who cares?! As long as a significant portion of travelers (non-families) take transit to the airport, then the families that are flying can go take their cabs/livery/personal vehicles all they want and everyone is happy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by choo View Post
forget it ever happening, its too great an idea.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #539
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,524
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
three transfers? as in four parts to your trip to logan? That's mad.
I live in east somerville and its two transfers orange > red > silver and that takes about an hour. If you want to get a Friday flight after work you could be stuck in the seaport area for 45 minutes. I usually stick up for the T but getting to logan is a joke! I always grab an uber.
You should be doing Orange, Blue, Airport circuit bus. Much more reliable, and 50% faster.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #540
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,946
Re: Logan Airport Capital Projects

Bid materials are posted for construction on Terminal E:

Contractor briefing:

https://www.massport.com/capitalprog...esentation.pdf

Models/plans:

https://www.massport.com/capitalprog...xhibit%20A.pdf
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logan Airport mass88 Transit and Infrastructure 32 06-28-2013 07:36 AM
If Logan Airport were moved.... JS38 Development Projects 26 11-24-2008 04:25 PM
New Logan 9/11 Monument bostonman Development Projects 28 09-12-2008 12:55 PM
If We Moved Logan Airport... Waldorf General Architecture & Urban Planning 4 04-05-2007 03:25 PM
Welcome to Portland. Business friendly capital of the world grittys457 Greater New England 0 01-12-2007 07:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.