archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
statler
Administrator

Re: Northern Avenue Bridge Fort Point Channel

Uh, yeah. I don't think anyone has to worry about confusing this project with the HighLine.

A WalMart parking lot, maybe.

Christ, that is awful.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
Tombstoner

+1

so very, very sad.
Tombstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
BostonObserver

It also hasn't been designed yet but that would never get in the way of some good old ArchBoston whining
BostonObserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #24
underground

Just when I thought people on this board had found the most ridiculous thing to complain about, along comes someone paying for a couple of free potters and it's the end of civilization as we know it.
underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #25
Shepard

I wouldn't expect a profound transformation from $50,000 but it's pretty absurd that there seems to be no plan to open the whole bridge to pedestrians and remove the heinous chain link fence (which the rendering shows unapologetically - I wonder why?). Until then, this will just look like a dilapidated bridge that someone tried to pretty up with planters and a cheesy paint scheme.

And before anyone shouts, I do still think that's better than a dilapidated bridge with no flowers. I take the opportunity however to wonder whether there is any real vision at work whatsoever.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #26
statler
Administrator

Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #27
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
Uh, yeah. I don't think anyone has to worry about confusing this project with the HighLine.

A WalMart parking lot, maybe.

Christ, that is awful.
Could we refer to this as the "'Are You Fucking High?' Line"?
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
Meadowhawk

It might look better if they planted wisteria in all the planters to grow up and over the bridge. It would give the effect of the pergolas in Christopher Columbus Park which I think looks good.
But to avoid the disaster of the North End parks pergolas, which are metal and therefore too hot for anything to grow up on them, they would need to erect wooden beams up and over the bridge for the vines to grow on.
Meadowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #29
Cliff Clavin

So we're looking at ~$2,500 per planter?
Cliff Clavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #30
AmericanFolkLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground View Post
Just when I thought people on this board had found the most ridiculous thing to complain about, along comes someone paying for a couple of free potters and it's the end of civilization as we know it.
Think in context. Is it really beyond the realm of possibility that in five years some community group will claim that these new planters constitute a park ... flash forward to shadow restrictions ...
I'd much rather see this place embraced for what it is - a pedestrian bridge. Give me coffee shacks and c-store type kiosks. Maybe a restaurant at the old bridge house.
AmericanFolkLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #31
mdd

I'd rather have a bare, cleaned up bridge than those cheap, ugly planters with unnecessary colored paving.
mdd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #32
BostonObserver

Where did you get to see the final design?
BostonObserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #33
PaulC

Quote:
On the evening of*Tuesday, October 29, Mayor Thomas M. Menino will "flip the switch" to inaugurate a dramatic and artistic illumination of the Northern Avenue Bridge.*This permanent installation was made possible by Boston Public Works. It was coordinated by Light Boston and designed by Boston artist John Powell.
The hundred-year-old, industrial-age girders and built-up structure will "take the light" magnificently, dancing to a changing spectrum of LED lighting. *The public, especially members of civic organizations concerned with joy of understanding and husbanding the richness of our physical environment, is encouraged to join the celebration. The program is scheduled to start at about*6 p.m., with the main event - the illumination - coming alive at*6:30.*
Light Boston is an advocacy group that has been organizing the illumination of remarkable aspects of our city since the early 1990s.
From Boston Preservation Alliance
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #34
armpitsOFmight

isn't this bridge falling apart?
armpitsOFmight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #35
cca

I agree it should be cleaned up and left to itself. BU bridge has a whole new life after its renovation.

cca
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #36
JohnAKeith

Whoa.

Wait, what we saw this summer was the end result of the plantings? Yikes. I walked through there a couple months ago (on my DMU trip) and was so depressed.

Wayback machine: 1989. Proposal calls for a new bridge (the Moakley Bridge) and for the redesign of the Old Northern Ave Bridge - bridge will be permanently "open" and "serve as an historic sea-oriented museum and landing area".

Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #37
whighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAKeith View Post
Whoa.

Wait, what we saw this summer was the end result of the plantings? Yikes. I walked through there a couple months ago (on my DMU trip) and was so depressed.

Wayback machine: 1989. Proposal calls for a new bridge (the Moakley Bridge) and for the redesign of the Old Northern Ave Bridge - bridge will be permanently "open" and "serve as an historic sea-oriented museum and landing area".

John,

The original proposal was to rotate the bridge open and connect the center with two narrow pedestrian bridges -- There were unexpected structural problems with leaving the bridge open but unsupported

There were subsequent proposals to jack-up the open span off the center pier for clearance on two new piers and then link the two fixed ends sections with connector 1/2 bridges -- this idea was priced-out of consideration

Thus, since the channel remains a navigable waterway with the its limits being imposed by the clearance of the permanent Moakley Bridge -- we are left with a mostly closed pedestrian bridge as is or as can be done on a temporary basis

I would humbly suggest that a single pair of sidewalks be created on the two edges with a series of semi-permanent kiosks and planters installed along the central axis with the most massive and significant near to the center where the weight can be supported if the bridge has to be opened

[quote]
whighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #38
JohnAKeith

We have our own Google Barge!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #39
statler
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whighlander View Post
I actually really like this design.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
MBTAddict

I do too. I just want something to be done here, at the very least fixing the bridge up enough so that the entire thing is open to bikes and peds.
MBTAddict is offline   Reply With Quote