archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
FK4

Downtown Crossing (MBTA Station)

I don't think there's a dedicated station thread for this.

There was a flurry of discussion on this board during the Millennium construction about how we all wished part of that project included a rebuild of DTX. The only thing I've seen or heard about this even being considered is a local business sponsored proposal to beautify the Winter St Concourse and add some exits midway up Winter Street - which may actually be happening; I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the construction down there.

However: the station during morning rush hour is an utter disaster, and the new trains arent going to change the fact that a massive crush of people from OL north and RL north collide together on a single stairwell when switching trains. It's often almost scary if youre in the thick of it and consider what would happen in a stampede situation.

Is anyone aware of any long range plans to ever reconstruct the station? I know this would be a superbly expensive undertaking, much more so than the Govt Ctr redo, but it's going to have to happen eventually. Is it even on the T's radar?
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Joel N. Weber II

Re: Downtown Crossing (MBTA Station)

Would adjusting the location of the paid / unpaid boundary on the Orange Line level to the east of the tracks to get more of the existing staircases inside fare control and thus usable for transfers be superbly expensive?
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
DBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
proposal to beautify the Winter St Concourse and add some exits midway up Winter Street - which may actually be happening; I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the construction down there.
Pretty sure that construction is "merely" to continue the rolling build-out of ADA-compliant elevators for the disabled that's been marching down the Red Line--Park Street, DTX--not sure which station next.

Meanwhile, "exits midway up Winter Street" sounds comically insane, real slapstick tragic-comedy (Paging Mr. Magoo? or Mr. Bean?) The most user conflict-prone street in all Boston, with surges of pedestrians, shoppers, loiterers dodging BPD squad cars, construction workers, contractor vans, delivery trucks, bicyclists of all persuasions.

I cannot possibly conceive of a way to inject even more chaos onto Winter Street than with "exits midway up" it.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
FK4

Entrances to subways in very crowded areas donít usually add much chaos, but i donít have strong opinions on that particular proposal one way or another, itís just the only thing that came up when googling station renovation.

Itís not a glamorous project but the morning crush completely slows down trains - some of this will be alleviated by wider doors on the new cars, but the near-danger levels of crowding wonít. Iím just stunned that it sounds like it really isnít even on the radar at all. It would be hugely expensive, but thatís not a reason to start planning for the future.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
cden4

Connecting the Red and Blue lines should help reduce congestion in DTX, right?
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
Connecting the Red and Blue lines should help reduce congestion in DTX, right?
It would, although I always figured it would help the most at Park (which is also dangerously overcrowded at crush times). They really need to look at both Park and DTX.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
citylover94

Red-Blue is mostly to help Park Street but I think it could help DTX some as well. Sometimes I wish DTX and Park Street had been built as a single station originally with the red line platforms being located under winter street bridging the gap between Park and DTX to create a single superstation. At this point it is too late to do that since there isn't space between the buildings on Winter St. but it is a nice what if.
citylover94 is offline   Reply With Quote