archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #221
JohnAKeith

Re: Boston in the Seventies

City of Boston Archives has uploaded a bunch of images of the South End from the 1960s - 1980s.

I can't tell where the "South End Victory Parade" is taking place; obviously Columbus Ave or Tremont St; I know Columbus had a lot of them.

I'm not familiar with the location of "Pilgrim Laundry". The bottom image that looks as though it is low-income housing was low-income housing - it was the model for proposed style of housing during that era.

South End, sign protesting urban renewal by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

South End victory parade by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

Unidentified location by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

Pilgrim Laundry by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

South End by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

Last edited by JohnAKeith; 12-10-2013 at 04:38 PM.
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #222
Roxxma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAKeith View Post
City of Boston Archives has uploaded a bunch of images of the South End from the 1960s - 1980s.

I can't tell where the "South End Victory Parade" is taking place; obviously Columbus Ave or Tremont St; I know Columbus had a lot of them.

I'm not familiar with the location of "Pilgrim Laundry". The bottom image that looks as though it is low-income housing was low-income housing - it was the model for proposed style of housing during that era.

This could very well be my living room on E. Brookline St, which was redone in the early 90s, now has exposed brick on the party wall behind the fireplace and a kitchen where that door and sink would be (the hallway to the rear bedrooms would be about where the door is). I've printed out a copy and I'll compare it when I go home tonight.
Roxxma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #223
vanshnookenraggen

Quote:
Love it!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #224
datadyne007

As a P/FP designer, I can't help but notice that the drainage piping for that sink slopes upward from the p-trap! Haha.
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #225
Roxxma

Alas, it is not my apartment, as my fireplace mantel has a little more detail carved into the marble as well as a medallion at the top of the opening. I may check to see if the upstairs unit has that mantel.
Roxxma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #226
Brad Plaid

Quote:
The bottom image that looks as though it is low-income housing was low-income housing - it was the model for proposed style of housing during that era.
Public housing indeed. There was a dedication ceremony for it's opening (1967?) attended by Vice President Hubert Horatio Humphrey as part of the propaganda machine for Lyndon Johnson's Great Society. Looks exactly the same today.
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #227
PaulC

It looks absolutely nothing like it. The building was completely redesigned in the past year into market rate housing. This is 14 E. Springfield St.
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #228
kz1000ps

I stumbled upon a pretty good cache of vintage pics thanks to Emmanuel College and their digitizing of all their old yearbooks. I've only looked at a few but found loads of good stuff in them, so much so that I may have to go through each and every one of them. For now here's what I found in the 1978 yearbook: