archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
odurandina

Midtown Hotel redevelopment | 220 Huntington Avenue | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron37 View Post
Sorry for the bump but I'm not sure where else to put this. The Midtown Hotel just went to market with HFF being billed as a "large-scale, generational development opportunity". It is 73,331 total land area across 3 parcels. Being sold as a ground lease development though so I'm not sure how much true interest there will be.
Too soon to be posting the thread. But it is prime land in Back Bay. Church of Christ Scientist will almost surely require the buyer/City to follow strict shadow protocol limiting scale. And we'll see more high priced condo's/ apts placed here.

Filed under 'will never happen/so what if it screams for it;' i've long been opining..... Boston lacks a significant affordable 'hostel' site for young people to visit and learn about the region without breaking the bank. This is sad if not 'dumb.' Philly, Chicago, DC & Miami have significant number of affordable rooms that serve as an invaluable resource for visitors from home and abroad.

Cities in Europe embrace international student villages where only (1) city in the United States (NYC) possesses a dedicated 'international student ctr.' i think the Midtown Hotel is the ideal location for such a cultural oasis in Boston. ~2000' walk from Back Bay Station (i picture euro kids hunched over in full combat gear).... There are a number of reasons for doing it, not the least which to be an opportunity for colleges to increase enrollment without having to develop additional dedicated living space/s.

One last thing; by doing so you'd not be adding a parking burden upon the neighborhood, even if Uber/Lyft transfers would go up.

Another opportunity lost or i'm spouting from the fringe of categorically unnecessary.....

Last edited by odurandina; 06-14-2018 at 11:18 AM.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
HenryAlan

Re: Midtown Hotel redevelopment | 220 Huntington Avenue | Back Bay

Maybe we need more, but I wouldn't say Boston has no youth hostels:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3510...7i13312!8i6656
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
kmp1284

The land's too valuable for student housing and St Botolph street residents will fight anything taller tooth and nail.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
Equilibria

Tim Logan got ahold of this:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...?event=event25

In answer to my own question on the other thread, One Dalton was the same type of ground lease as this, but only after it had been pre-permitted for a skyscraper.
Equilibria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Beton Brut

It will be interesting to see if developers will use the precedence of the Huntington Theatre project (just two blocks away) as leverage to gain approval for additional height at the Midtown site.

And I'm probably the only person who likes this little hotel, a legit example of Midcentury design la Edward Durrell Stone on the fringe of a 19th Century neighborhood.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
shmessy

Halle-Frickin'-Lujah!!!!

That Motel was an urban abomination.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
estyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
It will be interesting to see if developers will use the precedence of the Huntington Theatre project (just two blocks away) as leverage to gain approval for additional height at the Midtown site.

And I'm probably the only person who likes this little hotel, a legit example of Midcentury design la Edward Durrell Stone on the fringe of a 19th Century neighborhood.
I don't know. That tower was pretty specifically negotiated by John Barros (and maybe the Mayor was involved too) as a way to keep the Huntington Theater--the tower is supposed to be the same volume as the as-of-right building for the parcel, which would have required demoing the theater.

There's no equivalent cultural resource here.
estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
Beton Brut

^ Very good point.

~ Justin7
Old 06-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #9
Rover

What exactly is the shadow issue here? Like a shadow on Huntington Ave or the Mass Pike?
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
GW

Quote:
I like it, too. I worked across the street for years and always enjoyed its presence.
GW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
odurandina

Wow, i didn't realize Trinity Church and South Church are in the clear. Though Shadow Law restrictions still apply to Copley Sq..... it looks like you can get very high before putting down shadow.

Christian Science have made it quite clear they don't want shadows on their park. But maybe $200M can change their minds!

The neighbors behind St Botolph St will scream about anything tall. Other than that, who wants a banal row of residential & possibly even setback buildings?
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Wow, i didn't realize Trinity Church and South Church are in the clear. Though Shadow Law restrictions still apply to Copley Sq..... it looks like you can get very high before putting down shadow.

Christian Science have made it quite clear they don't want shadows on their park. But maybe $200M can change their minds!

The neighbors behind St Botolph St will scream about anything tall. Other than that, who wants a banal row of residential & possibly even setback buildings?
What is the shadow in Copley Square? At 9 pm during the summer solstice? As this site is a bit further west wouldn't the shadow occur in early evening, where IIRC there's already lots of shadows anyway?
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
HenryAlan

Quote:
I like it, too, but mostly because it reminds me of some of the hotels surrounding Disneyland in the 70s and 80s (where I spent much of my youth).

There were dozens much like this one dating from a time when Disneyland was mostly surrounded by orange groves and light industry. It never seemed to quite fit in at the location on Huntington, though.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #14
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I like it, too, but mostly because it reminds me of some of the hotels surrounding Disneyland in the 70s and 80s...It never seemed to quite fit in at the location on Huntington, though.
It's the right building in exactly the wrong place. In style and form, it violates the rules of the street. It is, in short, an interesting anomaly.

Whacked out idea: Boston doesn't have a Standard Hotel, and the Midtown's design is truly simpatico with their brand. Perhaps this wee hotel could be incorporated into such a plan, with a thin tower replacing part of its footprint.

~ Justin7
Old 06-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #15
Brad Plaid

Quote:
Whacked out idea: Boston doesn't have a Standard Hotel, and the Midtown's design is truly simpatico with their brand. Perhaps this wee hotel could be incorporated into such a plan, with a thin tower replacing part of its footprint.
In a less reactionary town a sliver tower could be a seriously considered option with the low rise section getting the Verb Hotel treatment, not here though.
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #16
Jahvon09

That is where one of the 09-11 terrorists stayed before going to Logan Airport & boarding Flight 175.
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #17
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Plaid View Post
In a less reactionary town a sliver tower could be a seriously considered option with the low rise section getting the Verb Hotel treatment, not here though.
This is why we can't have nice things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahvon09 View Post
That is where one of the 09-11 terrorists stayed before going to Logan Airport & boarding Flight 175.
Not to be the on-topic taliban, but how does this morsel of information advance the discussion?

~ Justin7
Old 06-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #18
FitchburgLine

Back on topic, this is a great place for office development, since the E line is under capacity in the reverse-peak direction (outbound morning, inbound evening).
FitchburgLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #19
Reznor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchburgLine View Post
the E line is under capacity in the reverse-peak direction (outbound morning, inbound evening).
Absolutely true. The E line (reverse or not) always seems have at some capacity at rush hour.
Reznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #20
shmessy

Quote:

Not to be the on-topic taliban, but how does this morsel of information advance the discussion?
Possible answer: When any redevelopment of this gets rejected due to being placed on the National Historic Registry? Not that I'd support it, though.

Look what Dallas did to shamelessly exploit the Texas Book Depository.

Personally, I'd think that makes it more of a reason to raze the place.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote