archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #941
datadyne007
Senior Member
 
datadyne007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Everett, MA
Posts: 8,565
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Meeting TONIGHT:

Quote:
FENWAY CENTER PUBLIC MEETING
OCT 05, 2016
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
RSS
Contact Name:
Phil Cohen
Contact Email Address:
Phil.Cohen@Boston.gov
Contact Phone:
617.918.4280
Type:
Public Meeting
Location:
Fenway Community Center
1282 Boylston St #123
Boston, MA 02215
Description:
The Boston Planning & Development Agency ("BPDA") would like to invite you to a public meeting to discuss proposed changes to the Fenway Center development.

A Notice of Project Change ("NPC"), submitted by Meredith Management Corporation on September 14, 2016, proposes that building 3 be removed from phase 1 of construction and further proposes a shift of gross square feet from phase 1 to phase 2, and a redesign of building 1 and 2.

The BPDA solicits comments from public agencies and the public. Written comments on the NPC should be received no later than October 15, 2016 by 5:00 PM. Please use the website form for comments or contact Phil.Cohen@Boston.gov for comments or clarification.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...fd5fc5e8c98573
__________________
Commuter Rail. Reimagined. Read the report: regionalrail.net
Electrification + High Platforms + Infrastructure + Frequent Service + Free Transfers = #REGIONALRAIL
datadyne007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #942
Suffolk 83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South End
Posts: 1,971
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

This thing is going to have the same fate as the Columbus center. Book it
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #943
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,143
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
This thing is going to have the same fate as the Columbus center. Book it
Gotta love the optimism on this fourm.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #944
fattony
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Davis/Ball Sq.
Posts: 1,679
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Gotta love the optimism on this fourm.
This thing has been circling the drain for 10 years.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #945
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,147
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
This thing has been circling the drain for 10 years.
He needs to sign a firm lease with MassDOT by the end of 2016 - same issue as SST, actually. It lives or dies now.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #946
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,678
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonEra View Post
It would be much better if nothing was named after anyone. There is not a soul on this planet that you cannot dig up dirt on. Especially when revisionist history becomes en vogue, as it is now.
Thank you. I am not going to defend the man's actions, but Tom Yawkey was born in 1903, 17 years before women had the right to vote, and a full 60 years before MLK and the Civil Rights movement. Hell, WW1 hadn't even started yet! He died in 1976, 40 years ago and before many of us were born.

Where we are now as a society, and what we accept as normal, was not the case back then, just as today's norms will likely not be the case in 2100. He did not "know" what we "know". (or at least think we know, hence the quotes) What we would judge extremely harshly today may have been the accepted norms in the not-too-distant past. Heck, even gay marriage was not allowed just a couple of years ago! To rewrite history based on today's values is disingenuous and completely unfair. It was a different time that none of us can understand without having lived through it.

Be happy that we have evolved to the 2016 standards, but don't retroactively apply those standards to the past. If Tom Yawkey was alive today I would not expect him to make the same racist decisions he is being derided for now. His decisions don't relate to 2016 the same way that ours wouldn't relate to his time period.

Rather than rewriting the past, it is better to learn from our mistakes as we evolve into the future.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #947
Suffolk 83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South End
Posts: 1,971
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

^ can we not open this can of worms? You know certain people are going to jump all over this and derail the hell out of this thread.

RE: tysmith- Im usually pro these developments and dont have a sky is falling mentality but fattony is right, this has so little chance of going forward. The air rights parcels have zero chance of getting done
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #948
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,143
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
^ can we not open this can of worms? You know certain people are going to jump all over this and derail the hell out of this thread.

RE: tysmith- Im usually pro these developments and dont have a sky is falling mentality but fattony is right, this has so little chance of going forward. The air rights parcels have zero chance of getting done
I give it a 5-10% chance of happening.

Btw I hate how MassDOT is charging the developer. MassDOT should provide it for free with the stipulation that the deck will be built (Shirley be dammed).
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #949
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,753
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Thank you. I am not going to defend the man's actions, but Tom Yawkey was born in 1903, 17 years before women had the right to vote, and a full 60 years before MLK and the Civil Rights movement. Hell, WW1 hadn't even started yet! He died in 1976, 40 years ago and before many of us were born.

Where we are now as a society, and what we accept as normal, was not the case back then, just as today's norms will likely not be the case in 2100. He did not "know" what we "know". (or at least think we know, hence the quotes) What we would judge extremely harshly today may have been the accepted norms in the not-too-distant past. Heck, even gay marriage was not allowed just a couple of years ago! To rewrite history based on today's values is disingenuous and completely unfair. It was a different time that none of us can understand without having lived through it.

Be happy that we have evolved to the 2016 standards, but don't retroactively apply those standards to the past. If Tom Yawkey was alive today I would not expect him to make the same racist decisions he is being derided for now. His decisions don't relate to 2016 the same way that ours wouldn't relate to his time period.

Rather than rewriting the past, it is better to learn from our mistakes as we evolve into the future.
Yes, people should be viewed by the standards of their times, as the accepted view of morality shifts over the years. But by the standards of his time, Tom Yawkey was a racist. Every single other club in Major League Baseball had allowed black players while Yawkey owned the Red Sox, but he still held out until 1959. That was twelve years after Jackie Robinson had started playing for the Dodgers, and two years after Robinson had retired. Yawkey isn't (necessarily) a racist for not allowing black players in the 1930s, but he's definitely a racist for not allowing black players in the 1950s. This isn't a judgment that was just made today by people retroactively applying modern norms, it was a widely held belief at the time as people such as Jackie Robinson called him "one of the most bigoted guys in baseball" while he was still owning the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
This thing is going to have the same fate as the Columbus center. Book it
Isn't most of this project on terra firma? Even if the air rights portion never happens, it could still be a significant project.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #950
palindrome
Senior Member
 
palindrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,189
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Btw I hate how MassDOT is charging the developer. MassDOT should provide it for free with the stipulation that the deck will be built (Shirley be dammed).
This--or MassDOT should build the deck themselves and then auction it off.
palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #951
meddlepal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,150
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Yes, people should be viewed by the standards of their times, as the accepted view of morality shifts over the years. But by the standards of his time, Tom Yawkey was a racist. Every single other club in Major League Baseball had allowed black players while Yawkey owned the Red Sox, but he still held out until 1959. That was twelve years after Jackie Robinson had started playing for the Dodgers, and two years after Robinson had retired. Yawkey isn't (necessarily) a racist for not allowing black players in the 1930s, but he's definitely a racist for not allowing black players in the 1950s. This isn't a judgment that was just made today by people retroactively applying modern norms, it was a widely held belief at the time as people such as Jackie Robinson called him "one of the most bigoted guys in baseball" while he was still owning the team.
Jesus Fucking Christ people. Take the political / social bullshit commentary to another thread.

Back on topic:

I'm interested to see what the plan is. Will it be an entirely new proposal or the current one? I guess we'll find out tonight. I too have low confidence that this gets done, however, Rosenthal doesn't seem to know how to get this thing bootstrapped.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #952
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,147
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Let's kick this down here...
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #953
choo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,270
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
This--or MassDOT should build the deck themselves and then auction it off.
I feel like they should study this and have it ready for the next boom. i don't think it will happen in the next 5-7 years, but no reason they couldn't start building decks by 2025, upzone areas in coordination with the city and then auction and split the proceeds
choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #954
F-Line to Dudley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,535
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by choo View Post
I feel like they should study this and have it ready for the next boom. i don't think it will happen in the next 5-7 years, but no reason they couldn't start building decks by 2025, upzone areas in coordination with the city and then auction and split the proceeds
There's some risk involved with preemptive decking in that you're building without knowing the load-bearing properties of what's ultimately going on top. Constrains the development options to a narrower range. I suppose if there were a systematic plan for the upzoning they could pick decking construction that maximizes the juiciest per-parcel range of structural support. But that's only going to be a good idea if the state is prepared to move those parcels in due time.

Even the best future-proofing is going to be a lousy value if it takes 50 years to pull hands from neck at successfully landing and keeping a developer through completion on that deck. We need the institutions managing these parcels to change their way of doing business much sooner than we need to make a change in M.O. about pre-decking.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #955
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,678
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

It looks like there's a public meeting for this tonight at 6. See link for details.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...endar/calendar
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #956
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,143
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

The BDPA has approved the changes to this. The developer has received financing for construction on phase one (not over the highway). This project might actually happen!!

http://www.universalhub.com/2016/dev...ay-development
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #957
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,147
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

I wonder if it would help or hurt these buildings to be 1 and 2 David Ortiz Way (instead of addresses on Beacon St). Certainly would make them stand out on the market.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #958
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,678
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Are the 2 shorter ones first and the tallest one last? I'm not entirely sure what is supposed to be built over the air rights vs solid ground.

Again, based on the renders, it looks like the tallest one increased in height. You can see the scale is the same but there is less sky at the top of the pictures.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #959
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,143
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

^Correct. The two shorter ones are on solid ground and the taller one is air rights.

Last edited by tysmith95; 10-21-2016 at 11:48 AM.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #960
awood91
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 211
Send a message via AIM to awood91
Re: Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

Boston Herald reporting that "State officials are giving developers behind the long-stalled Fenway Center project a three-month extension to finalize their state lease, a move the project planners say puts construction — and a $21 million payment to the state — on track for the fall."

http://www.bostonherald.com/business...finalize_lease
awood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carlos zapata studio, fenway, john rosenthal, meredith management corp., turnpike air rights

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway stellarfun Development Projects 549 09-12-2018 10:25 PM
Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Van Ness) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway Mike Development Projects 679 10-06-2017 01:40 PM
Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway dshoost88 Development Projects 28 03-19-2017 10:17 PM
The Viridian (Fenway McDonald's) | 1282 Boylston Street | Fenway Mike Development Projects 364 09-15-2015 02:07 PM
Fenway HoJo's Redevelopment | 1271 Boylston Street | Fenway palindrome Development Projects 180 08-07-2015 10:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.