archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #821
Jahvon09

Re: New Red and Orange Line Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
The poles and car end just have to contrast with the main color scheme of the interior. Yellow is not necessarily required, though it is often the best contrasting color. I just hope they don't do yellow on the RL cars otherwise the scheme will end up looking like McDonalds on wheels.

Expect to see the yellow poles featured on the new Red Line cars also. They are for safety reasons - part of the importance of making them ADA accessible especially for people with impaired vision, or in the case of the trains being crowed. Whatever the case may be.

They are also on the T's newest buses as well. Incidentally, the seats on the new buses are styled like the seats on the WAMATA's BUSES IN Washington, DC, except the ones for the T have no padding. to discourage vandelism

Last edited by Jahvon09; 12-29-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #822
cden4

The thing that bothers me most is that they screwed up the T logos. It's like a cheap knockoff logo. The circle is too thin. The T is the wrong proportion (the top of the T is not wide enough) and it's not centered properly in the circle.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #823
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
I agree. It adds to the cheap Chinese look.
Actually, Chinese metros, like every other system in the world that isn't ass-backwards, doesnt have end of cars as they use articulation. So they probably didnt know what to paint a wall that shouldnt exist.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #824
Joel N. Weber II

https://www.thetransportpolitic.com/...open-gangways/ has some more thoughts on the benefits of open gangways.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #825
Jahvon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
The thing that bothers me most is that they screwed up the T logos. It's like a cheap knockoff logo. The circle is too thin. The T is the wrong proportion (the top of the T is not wide enough) and it's not centered properly in the circle.

The new T sign, in my opinion, gives a more cleaner sleeker look. Like the painted color on the bottom half of the new cars, the T sign also looks painted on.

I think in this case, they might be getting rid of the regular sign - hence the one with the big thick T on a white background. Or maybe the T is just plain tired of that sign.

You might have noticed it starting to peel away one some of the trains & buses. It DOES look atrociously tacky.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #826
Jahvon09

Gov. Charlie Baker toured the plant recently.

See the exciting new pics of how it looks inside!

http://www.masslive.com/business-new...e_test_ca.html
Old 12-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #827
Jahvon09

Too bad that we can't get THESE!!

Old 12-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #828
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahvon09 View Post

Other than being articulated units, those seem very similar to the new cars. The seat setup would also be terrible for the Orange/Red.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #829
Jahvon09

Yeah, they're sticking with bench-type seats.

That will allow more standees to get on the trains.

Last edited by Jahvon09; 12-29-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #830
Joel N. Weber II

Did the T decide they needed space for more standees because they choose not to get the extra space that would have come for free or perhaps even with a cost reduction if they'd chosen the open gangway option?

It seems like there might be a good ADA argument that the next batch of Blue Line cars ought to have open gangways so we can afford to have more seats, if it's too late to fix this for the Orange Line.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #831
Jahvon09

I think that they are sticking to the plan of having 15 more standees in each car. The amount of seats don't increase, especially since the cars have to be ADA compatible.

Sort of like the Blue Line cars. That way, riders confined to wheelchairs aren't forced to ride in the middle of the aisle, or in front of a doorway.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #832
tysmith95

Quote:
Sounds remarkably quiet. Is that a new subway line or are the Canadians that much better at maintaining their rails?

Actually a quick search on Wikipedia and I answered my own question. They use rubber tires between metal rails, similar to that of Mexico City.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #833
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post
Did the T decide they needed space for more standees because they choose not to get the extra space that would have come for free or perhaps even with a cost reduction if they'd chosen the open gangway option?

It seems like there might be a good ADA argument that the next batch of Blue Line cars ought to have open gangways so we can afford to have more seats, if it's too late to fix this for the Orange Line.
The T did say they looked into it, but preferred the operational flexibility that non-articulated cars gave them (i.e. one car has problems, just swap out the married pair vs taking down all 6). That said, since they also plan on keeping the married pairs idea, they could have at least gone open gangway on each pair.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:37 AM   #834
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
That said, since they also plan on keeping the married pairs idea, they could have at least gone open gangway on each pair.
This is the part I don't understand. Why not go open gangway if the plan is married pairs anyway? Open gangway, even if just between the two cars, adds significant capacity to the cars.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #835
Jahvon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Sounds remarkably quiet. Is that a new subway line or are the Canadians that much better at maintaining their rails?

Actually a quick search on Wikipedia and I answered my own question. They use rubber tires between metal rails, similar to that of Mexico City.

As opposed to steel wheels. But what keeps the trains from being or becoming derailed?

What puzzles me is why didn't the T replace the tracks on the Blue Line? You hear those loud clicking noises on pretty much the entire line, especially in the tunnel! All that dough spent on remodeling the stations & buying the new trains, yet even with the new trains, the ride is atrociously noisy.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #836
Jahvon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post

You are probably looking at 20 to 35 years before any newer trains appear on the Blue Line. Maybe a few more will be bought after tha line is extended to Lynn - if that happens at all.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:05 AM   #837
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Actually, Chinese metros, like every other system in the world that isn't ass-backwards, doesnt have end of cars as they use articulation. So they probably didnt know what to paint a wall that shouldnt exist.
I'm really sure I remember being crowded into the corner of a car on the Shanghai subway.
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #838
Jahvon09

Some of the people who viewed the new Orange car mockup had complained about the seats possibly being too small.

http://www.universalhub.com/2017/new...-could-be-step
Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #839
Reznor

Quote:
Some of the people who viewed the new Orange car mockup had complained about the seats possibly being too small.

http://www.universalhub.com/2017/new...-could-be-step
The seats are same size, slightly wider.
Reznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #840
Jahvon09

The new wider doors may account for some of the seating area possibly being shortened inside the cars though.

Also, those new bins that will house electronic equipment that's vital to the trains' performance & day-to-day operations.

Tags
colors, livery, mbta, survey, trains