Beton Brut

Re: Open Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
What am I missing?
Presumably a response to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefalarchitect View Post
Anybody know of any good designers for private residences in the New England area?

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #4622
statler

Yeah, I was curious about John's "HER?" response. Maybe I was reading to much into it.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #4623
datadyne007

It's a John comment so who the hell knows, but if you interpret "maybe her" as a truncated sentence with "can help," I think the grammatically correct response would have been "maybe she?"
Old 01-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #4624
jdrinboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
I haven't (I live less than three miles away), but have spent many ours at family gatherings in the dining room. The proprietor, who's become something of a family friend, began his career with a pizza shop in Winthrop Center; he purchased and began restoring the restaurant and hotel in the early 80s. It's very old-timey New England resort-ish. Part of me wishes that they reduce the dinner menu and move toward seasonal farm-to-table offerings.
The owner’s son has taken over day-to-day restaurant operations in the last year and has been steadily making tweaks to hopefully make the place a bit more appealing to a younger crowd (think mid 30s/early 40s) while retaining their more steady older clientele. I can’t speak to the farm to table aspect, but he has greatly streamlined the menu and improved the quality of what they serve. The steak tips and pot pie are both awesome.

At the same time, the dining room is still quaint as hell and the new bar/lounge area is a great place to hang out for drinks and socialize.
jdrinboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #4625
Beton Brut

^ Thanks for the tip. I haven’t been in a couple of years, but my dad, in his 80s is a frequent flyer, a big fan of the rightfully famous pot pie. I’m glad to hear the Arms is evolving; I’d be sad to see it go the way of the classic North Shore haunts of my childhood, the General Glover, Anthony’s Hawthorn by the Sea, and the Continental.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #4626
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrinboston View Post
The owner’s son has taken over day-to-day restaurant operations in the last year and has been steadily making tweaks to hopefully make the place a bit more appealing to a younger crowd (think mid 30s/early 40s) while retaining their more steady older clientele. I can’t speak to the farm to table aspect, but he has greatly streamlined the menu and improved the quality of what they serve. The steak tips and pot pie are both awesome.

At the same time, the dining room is still quaint as hell and the new bar/lounge area is a great place to hang out for drinks and socialize.
So is the dinner menu on the website current? If this is streamlined I'm afraid of the cheesecakefactoryesque fever dream that must have preceded it. (If this is the old menu, someone please suggest they update the website.) I love the look of this place, and the idea of old-school casual steakhouse fare seems fitting, but the "meat disclaimer" on the menu would probably be enough to keep me away.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #4627
jdrinboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
So is the dinner menu on the website current? If this is streamlined I'm afraid of the cheesecakefactoryesque fever dream that must have preceded it. (If this is the old menu, someone please suggest they update the website.) I love the look of this place, and the idea of old-school casual steakhouse fare seems fitting, but the "meat disclaimer" on the menu would probably be enough to keep me away.
Is this the menu you were looking at? I pulled it off their mobile Website.

http://www.winthroparms.com/Admin/Documents/Dinner.pdf

Their old menu used to be about as large as a Robert Caro biography.
jdrinboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #4628
Lrfox

Of Neighborhood Rebranding Efforts: https://archive.org/stream/downtownc...e/n11/mode/2up

It's an interesting read. It's a Simmons Senior Seminar project from 1979 that talks about the efforts to "revitalize the CBD." Specifically, it gets into the process of creating a new identity for the area for marketing purposes. Interesting to note, that before the BRA settled on "Downtown Crossing" in 1977, names like "Downtown Freedom Mall" and "Downtown Promenade" were tossed around. I like what we ended up with.

As someone who was born nearly a decade after the Downtown Crossing branding effort, I find it fascinating. Especially when we discuss other branding efforts (ehem, "Uptown."). To me, it's always been Downtown Crossing. I imagine that makes the effort a success.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #4629
statler

Nice find! Thanks!
Old 01-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #4630
JohnAKeith

Sorry, too obscure for most. "Her?" is from Arrested Develoment.

https://vimeo.com/66596535
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #4631
statler

Ah! Sorry. It's on my "To Watch" list.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #4632
stick n move

If I block someone does it just mean I cant see the stupid shit they post or does it also make it so they cant see what I post, therefore theyre then not giving their dumbass responses toward me and I cant even see it? Thanks.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #4633
tobyjug

Here is a climate change sea level rise prediction map, which you can adjust by varying the meters of sea level increase. I think it understates the effect based on personal observation of the consequences of the storm surge and king tides. One meter of sea rise in the program is probably closer to one foot to one and one half feet of sea level rise in reality.
http://flood.firetree.net/
tobyjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #4634
F-Line to Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
Here is a climate change sea level rise prediction map, which you can adjust by varying the meters of sea level increase. I think it understates the effect based on personal observation of the consequences of the storm surge and king tides. One meter of sea rise in the program is probably closer to one foot to one and one half feet of sea level rise in reality.
http://flood.firetree.net/
That's kind of a brute-force map as it appears to weight heavily or exclusively to elevation as opposed to drainage properties. The Climate Ready Boston Map Explorer tends to be a lot more accurate since it's fed by the dataset from the official sanctioned Boston flood maps and takes landfill vs. non-landfill (like ex-Harbor islands now joined to the Southie or Eastie mainland) into account. Picking out the ancestral terra firma from the fill is crucial for planning, because one type of drainage performs orders-of-magnitude better under inundation than the other.

Only problem with the Boston maps is that the dataset doesn't range very far from City of Boston, so a lot of vulnerable North Shore and South Shore areas aren't covered with any data.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #4635
tobyjug

You’ve described it perfectly. That’s one reason why I think adjusting it to “1 meter = 1 foot” of rise seems to be a better approximate.
Either way, bad!
tobyjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #4636
statler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
If I block someone does it just mean I cant see the stupid shit they post or does it also make it so they cant see what I post, therefore theyre then not giving their dumbass responses toward me and I cant even see it? Thanks.
I can't block anyone for obvious reasons (lord I wish I could) but if I remember it was just a blank post where that person's post would have been. Another drawback to being stuck with ancient forum software.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #4637
stick n move

You can add people to the ignore list here though right? Do they still see your posts? If so thats a waste of time..
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #4638
Arlington

Ignore function replaces the ignored's posts with a little "we suppressed a post by someone on your ignore list". That's all. Works great.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #4639
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrinboston View Post
Is this the menu you were looking at? I pulled it off their mobile Website.

http://www.winthroparms.com/Admin/Documents/Dinner.pdf

Their old menu used to be about as large as a Robert Caro biography.
No, I was looking at http://www.winthroparms.com/images/menus/Dinner.pdf that I found through the original link posted here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
Adventure pick.

Summer room-rates ~$165/night. Uber/Lyft @ ~$6.50 to the Blue Line.
It looks like the website has both an .aspx and .html index. Should probably clean up the old content to avoid confusion. New menu is much improved.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote