archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #141
jass

Re: Kenmore Square North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos77 View Post
It's the hazy summer nights that you, your parents, their parents, spent at Fenway. It's your signpost when drunk wandering the Kenmore area after the clubs closed. It's a rare bit of color on an otherwise austere night skyline, reflecting in all directions on the Charles. .
Sure but you can do that with any other sign.

No one is going to cry if it gets replaced with the red sox logo.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #142
FenwayResident

Maybe they should asks the residents of the neighborhood what they think instead of catering to suburbanites who come into the city once per year to watch a baseball game.
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #143
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayResident View Post
Maybe they should asks the residents of the neighborhood what they think instead of catering to suburbanites who come into the city once per year to watch a baseball game.
As I said above, because of BUís being allowed to buy up everything on bay state road, there ARE no neighbors to protest this. I not only think something should be done immediately to put a stop to any further land purchases by any local educational institutions, but I also think there should be a campaign by the city to take back private ownership of what these schools have bought.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #144
DZH22

The corner building should have a facadectomy. Then the office building should go about twice as tall, around 15 floors instead of 8. Plop the sign on top of the new building and call it a day.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #145
FenwayResident

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
As I said above, because of BUís being allowed to buy up everything on bay state road, there ARE no neighbors to protest this. I not only think something should be done immediately to put a stop to any further land purchases by any local educational institutions, but I also think there should be a campaign by the city to take back private ownership of what these schools have bought.
Very true and a good point, but I wasn't referring just to the immediate vicinity of the sign. There are plenty of people who live in Audubon Circle, Fenway and Western Back Bay (probably parts of Cambridge, too) that have to see the garish sign every day.
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #146
FK4

I hope everyone who possibly can goes against this abomination
Old 05-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #147
Coyote137

Send a message via AIM to Coyote137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
The corner building should have a facadectomy. Then the office building should go about twice as tall, around 15 floors instead of 8. Plop the sign on top of the new building and call it a day.
This is the correct answer.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #148
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote137 View Post
This is the correct answer.
Yes, this is indeed the correct answer. I would just add that we retain the style/shape/color palette of the sign (nostalgia, yada yada) but have it say something other than "citgo"...especially since it would now be even more in everyone's face at further-reaching neighborhoods. How about just "Boston" with a red pair of sox where the triangle is.

And by taking this opportunity to move the sign, it will free up other developmental opportunities around fenway park to build things deservingly large/dense as parcels allow...such as here...because the sign would no longer be blocked.

#unblocktheblink
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #149
Gameguy326

Please tell me this PoS wasn't approved.
Gameguy326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #150
HalcyonEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Yes, this is indeed the correct answer. I would just add that we retain the style/shape/color palette of the sign (nostalgia, yada yada) but have it say something other than "citgo"...especially since it would now be even more in everyone's face at further-reaching neighborhoods. How about just "Boston" with a red pair of sox where the triangle is.

And by taking this opportunity to move the sign, it will free up other developmental opportunities around fenway park to build things deservingly large/dense as parcels allow...such as here...because the sign would no longer be blocked.

#unblocktheblink
Couldn't agree more, especially since this Citgo Corp is not your parent's Citgo Corp.
HalcyonEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:00 AM   #151
whittle

Quote:
As I said above, because of BUís being allowed to buy up everything on bay state road, there ARE no neighbors to protest this.
Calm down, BU doesn't even own 1/2 of the land between Deerfield and Charlesgate. There are plenty of non-BU residents in the area.

Quote:
I not only think something should be done immediately to put a stop to any further land purchases by any local educational institutions, but I also think there should be a campaign by the city to take back private ownership of what these schools have bought.
Because currently there aren't any restrictions on what land the educational institutions cam buy and private developers will always put their land to a better use.

Last edited by whittle; 05-12-2018 at 04:57 AM.
whittle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #152
BostonUrbEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
So, keep "a" neon sign there. It doesn't need to be a Citgo ad.
In fact, it shouldn't be the Citgo sign. Do a facadectomy at this location, allow a taller building (since we won't have to worry about blocking the sign, either) to recoup the costs, and replace the sign with a new one on the new building which maybe has some actual relation to the city other than simply existing.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #153
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle View Post
Calm down, BU doesn't even own 1/2 of the land between Deerfield and Charlesgate. There are plenty of non-BU residents in the area.

Because currently there aren't any restrictions on what land the educational institutions cam buy and private developers will always put their land to a better use.
Dude, BU has ruined Bay State Rd. Iím well aware of private ownership because my friendís late great aunt was one of the last owners there. Amazing place. BUT - just go to Bay State Rd and walk down the street and tell me your impression of whether it screams academic row or private, residential street. In case thereís any difficultly here, let me help you: thereís BU signs on almost every building. The remainder of the non-signed buildings are mostly owned by BU as well, for weird lease relationships for their employees (another of my friends whoís worked for them for years lives in this situation). Case closed.

Edit - just in case thereís any remaining ambiguity here, just look at the link https://www.cityofboston.gov/assessi...Bay+state+road

Last edited by FK4; 05-12-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #154
dwash59

For me, this is the best way to understand BU's holdings on Bay State

dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #155
whittle

Quote:
Dude, BU has ruined Bay State Rd. Iím well aware of private ownership because my friendís late great aunt was one of the last owners there. Amazing place. BUT - just go to Bay State Rd and walk down the street and tell me your impression of whether it screams academic row or private, residential street. In case thereís any difficultly here, let me help you: thereís BU signs on almost every building. The remainder of the non-signed buildings are mostly owned by BU as well, for weird lease relationships for their employees (another of my friends whoís worked for them for years lives in this situation). Case closed.

Edit - just in case thereís any remaining ambiguity here, just look at the link https://www.cityofboston.gov/assessi...Bay+state+road
Even if it was true that BU owned practically all of BSR, which is not true as there's dozens of buildings they don't own, my points would still stand that less than half of Kenmore between deerfield and charlesgate is owned by BU and that there's plenty of non-BU residents in the area.
whittle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #156
TomOfBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwash59 View Post
For me, this is the best way to understand BU's holdings on Bay State

BU sold off its 50% ownership in the Hotel Commonwealth a few years ago.
TomOfBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #157
ant8904

Students are people too...
ant8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #158
Shepard

One of the things that would help this entire area is the grounding of the Bowker and the downgrading of Storrow (or is it still SFR at this point - whatever). Actual riverfront would be a draw, for both visitors and real residents. The fact that on this stretch of riverfront the best that we have is the "BU Beach" (grassy hill high enough over Storrow you can somewhat ignore it) is an absolute shame.

Make this area livable and pleasant. People will follow. They'll share the space with BU just fine.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #159
TomOfBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
One of the things that would help this entire area is the grounding of the Bowker and the downgrading of Storrow (or is it still SFR at this point - whatever). Actual riverfront would be a draw, for both visitors and real residents. The fact that on this stretch of riverfront the best that we have is the "BU Beach" (grassy hill high enough over Storrow you can somewhat ignore it) is an absolute shame.

Make this area livable and pleasant. People will follow. They'll share the space with BU just fine.
In the 1920's BU purchased the land for the Charles River campus. They owned the land down to the river's edge. In the 1930's as campus construction began the state took half the land by eminent domain to build the Esplanade and then decided to build Storrow Drive.
Otherwise BU today would have a magnificent riverfront campus.
TomOfBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #160
ant8904

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
In the 1920's BU purchased the land for the Charles River campus. They owned the land down to the river's edge. In the 1930's as campus construction began the state took half the land by eminent domain to build the Esplanade and then decided to build Storrow Drive.
Otherwise BU today would have a magnificent riverfront campus.
They also named Storrow Drive after James Storrow, who his wife campaigned to stop the construction of the highway. They waited until both died and named the highway after them.
ant8904 is offline   Reply With Quote