archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Design a Better Boston

Design a Better Boston Are you disappointed with the state of Boston's current architecture/development? Think you have a better idea? Post it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #81
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,110
Re: Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030

Could this curious roommate pairing be the solution to the housing crisis?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...mZJ/story.html
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #82
Jouhou
Senior Member
 
Jouhou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 613
Re: Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Mayor Walsh has increased the target for housing development in Boston, now 69,000 units by 2030, up from 50,000 units. 22% to be affordable.

Increase is driven by new population forecasts for Boston. Now 760,000 by 2030 (up form a forecast of 709,000 just four years ago).

Boston Globe Coverage:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...rtN/story.html
If we built enough housing i'm pretty sure it would be over 800,000 by 2030. The housing shortage itself is suppressing demand.
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #83
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,110
Re: Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030

Boston officials propose new taxes on some real estate deals to pay for more housing

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...YqM/story.html
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #84
TheRifleman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,374
Re: What's Happening With Project X?

This is so laughable. Today's paper,

PLAN SEEKS high-end real estate sales fees
Boston officials propose new taxes on some real estate deals to pay for more housing
"We are in a crisis," said City Councilor Lydia Edwards, The plans lead sponsor along with Councilor Kim Janey. "That we are suffering in one of the biggest booms in history of our city is unacceptable."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...YqM/story.html

How are all these towns in trouble financially -- real estate taxes are up almost 50% in the last 6 years?

We have a Southstation and Harbor garage in the heart of transit that both continue to sit idle? Wouldn't that make more sense to add more supply of housing right a transit lines? Make a deal with the developers to add 100% housing to those two locations.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #85
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Re: What's Happening With Project X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
This is so laughable. Today's paper,

PLAN SEEKS high-end real estate sales fees
Boston officials propose new taxes on some real estate deals to pay for more housing
"We are in a crisis," said City Councilor Lydia Edwards, The plans lead sponsor along with Councilor Kim Janey. "That we are suffering in one of the biggest booms in history of our city is unacceptable."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...YqM/story.html

How are all these towns in trouble financially -- real estate taxes are up almost 50% in the last 6 years?

We have a Southstation and Harbor garage in the heart of transit that both continue to sit idle? Wouldn't that make more sense to add more supply of housing right a transit lines? Make a deal with the developers to add 100% housing to those two locations.
I have no idea how you read that article and then made this comment.

#1 It isn't about other towns, its about Boston.

#2 That quote is about the housing crisis, not financials.

#3 The City of Boston just posted a surplus for last year

#4 Neither the Harbor Garage or South Station (mostly office, I think) are going to be affordable housing. Which this article is entirely about.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #86
TallIsGood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 322
Re: Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030

But they will generate both linkage payments and tax revenues to support affordable housing. How about not reducing every housing proposal that comes along??
TallIsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM   #87
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Re: Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallIsGood View Post
But they will generate both linkage payments and tax revenues to support affordable housing. How about not reducing every housing proposal that comes along??
Which is still a drop in the hat to fix the housing issue. Supertalls and sky scrappers aren't the fix - comprehensive zoning control and 4-5 story buildings are. Last I checked, the BPDA/BRA still has a huge war chest of unspent remediation funds from the affordable housing requirements. Also, reducing height also happens, especially downtown, due to things like Logan which is out of anybody's control. I am also not arguing that I agree with the proposals in the article, but, that, the "summary" provided was completely off.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM   #88
TallIsGood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 322
Re: Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030

I didnít talk about supertalls or FAA limits. Most housing projects are viewed as too dense or too tall even if they start at 5-6 stories. Density solves housing demand.
TallIsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:56 AM   #89
TheRifleman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,374
Re: Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Which is still a drop in the hat to fix the housing issue. Supertalls and sky scrappers aren't the fix - comprehensive zoning control and 4-5 story buildings are. Last I checked, the BPDA/BRA still has a huge war chest of unspent remediation funds from the affordable housing requirements. Also, reducing height also happens, especially downtown, due to things like Logan which is out of anybody's control. I am also not arguing that I agree with the proposals in the article, but, that, the "summary" provided was completely off.
Itís a start to add more supply in the core of the city to the housing shortage affordable or not. I personally would like to see the state focus on rapid transit lines from Boston to Worcester, Springfield, cape, New Bedford, Lowell. This will help those communities build up as long as they can get in and out of the city in 15mins by rapid transit.

The MBTA serious lack of vision and pension corruption has really cost all the taxpayers to sit in traffic and watch everything get built upon with constant congestion in and around the city. Itís a real shame

Last edited by TheRifleman; Yesterday at 12:43 PM.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #90
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Re: Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallIsGood View Post
I didnít talk about supertalls or FAA limits. Most housing projects are viewed as too dense or too tall even if they start at 5-6 stories. Density solves housing demand.
Rifle was specifically talking about the South Station Tower and Harbor Garage tower(s).
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boston's housing problem JohnAKeith Design a Better Boston 114 07-24-2014 12:01 PM
Ar things Changing whighlander Transit and Infrastructure 44 02-10-2012 06:42 PM
Housing and the Middle Class in Boston Arborway Boston Architecture & Urbanism 35 06-06-2010 04:01 PM
Mass. transportation planning until 2030's Digital_Islandboy Design a Better Boston 11 04-12-2010 06:53 PM
Changing Racial Demographics commuter guy General Architecture & Urban Planning 4 07-21-2008 04:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.