archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #3301
Texasian

Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I agree with you with regards to Cali routes, however SAT could still be a good possibility. WN already flies to Houston and Dallas from Boston, why not add a third city in that state.
WN also flies BOS-AUS as does B6.

I would love for BOS-SAT to happen, but I'm not going to hold my breath. With Houston and Dallas a 1 hr hop away and Austin sucking any remaining air out of the room, SA is left with scraps... that at least connect it to basically every major hub... but still.
Texasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #3302
mass88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilditDenser View Post
Since we entered speculation territory, here are my guesses

WN: CVG, FLL, SAT

DL: DCA (need it for business), ORD, Canada (dl has a history), HNL

B6: increase ORD, PDX (mint), generally increase service on business oriented routes, MCI (1x), STL (1x), Belize (1x), further roll out of mint, maybe HNL (1x mint), MSP

Other: Bogota, Barcelona, Milan, India (Delhi or mumbai )
WN just opened up CVG. I doubt we'll be seeing them enter that market from BOS anytime within the next 18 plus months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefalarchitect View Post
I'm skeptical but wishful on DL from BOS to DCA.
I too am septical. Between American and JetBlue you're talking 20 flights a day Monday through Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
Add Louisville and the largest unserved domestic market: Hampton Roads Metro Area of Virginia (Norfolk/Portsmouth/Virginia Beach).

Oklahoma City is a rather small market. Memphis and I think even Madison Wisconsin is bigger.

There's always Honolulu too domestically. We did some guestimates in this thread.

Thinking about these three airlines and what they must serve domestically:

JetBlue: Minneapolis and Cincinnati

Delta: Chicago

Southwest: Fort Lauderdale since they need a good feeder for their international ops there.

There's not many musts but there's a lot of routes to add that wouldn't surprise me. For example any of the three carriers could start a Norfolk or Louisville flight.
I could see Southwest needing some feed for their flights to Cuba, but their international network is not that large from Ft. Lauderdale. Baltimore is much larger for them.

My guesses:

JetBlue will serve Minneapolis/St. Paul and St. Louis by the end of 2018.

One new Asian carrier will enter Boston by the end of 2018.

Apart from that things should remain level domestically over the next 2 years.

Apart from a non-stop to South America, Logan is very well served and has to be reaching the point of saturation. I would rather see the level of service be maintained over the next 3-4 years than new carriers come in and hurt the overall market and cause carriers to leave.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #3303
BuilditDenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
WN just opened up CVG. I doubt we'll be seeing them enter that market from BOS anytime within the next 18 plus months.
CVG has been pushing for a lcc to fly to bos. I bet we will see it within the next 2 year, maybe sooner.

Quote:
I too am septical. Between American and JetBlue you're talking 20 flights a day Monday through Friday.

If DL wants to win over boston business travelers, they need a dc option. If not dca, it will be dulles or bwi.

Quote:

Apart from that things should remain level domestically over the next 2 years.
Delta has a massive expansion planned for this summer. For example, they are going up to 12 daily flights to atl, all on a321s. B6 alone is adding 750 seats every day (275,000 per year) to atl. 2017 is also going to be the first full year of b6 flying to lga 6x per weekday. This is in addition to tons of other announced capacity increases this year. Do you see any reductions in service anywhere? If not, then it is a fair guess to say we will reach a new peak.

Quote:
Apart from a non-stop to South America, Logan is very well served and has to be reaching the point of saturation. I would rather see the level of service be maintained over the next 3-4 years than new carriers come in and hurt the overall market and cause carriers to leave.
I agree that logan is well covered, there are no options to do directly to south africa, south america, korea, or India. Those are huge untapped markets. Personally, I think Norwegian will add 2x or 3x weekly to Barcelona.
BuilditDenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #3304
mass88

If another carrier enters BOS-CVG, my money is on JetBlue to be that carrier.

I was referring to new destinations served domestically out of Boston in terms of things remaining level. Capacity is another story.

Norwegian not announcing Boston as part of their initial Barcelona longhaul flying may be telling. It may happen eventually but it is surprising Boston is not part of their initial services.

Out of South Africa, India, South Korea and South America, I think South Korea and South America are the most likely. South Africa will never happen. Air India has Boston as one of their targets for North America, but the India market is well served one-stop on Emirates and Qatar. A direct link to India will steal a lot of passengers from both airlines.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #3305
RandomWalk

Somewhat selfishly, I'd like to see JetBlue serve IND-BOS. I don't like either Southwest or Delta as much as them.
RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #3306
SouthEnder88

I figured B6 would always be the one to bring MEM-BOS back, but I feel like DL could swoop in and resume this route on regional metal and satisfy current demand levels.
SouthEnder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #3307
johhn14

BA is bringing a one off A380 on the 29th, a few days after Emirates.
johhn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #3308
tysmith95

Could DL serve the Miami metro area year round? Currently they serve PBI seasonally but that is probably the most underserved market for them if they want to attract frequent flyers out of Boston.

I think MIA would be the best option as only AA flies that route currently.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #3309
adamh8297

Quote:
Could DL serve the Miami metro area year round? Currently they serve PBI seasonally but that is probably the most underserved market for them if they want to attract frequent flyers out of Boston.

I'm sure they could fill 1-2 daily flights but it may not mint money. They are also doing Ft Lauderdale weekly this season while jumping fully into Tampa.

The available numbers from DOT pool in Manchester, Providence and the allegiant flights from Portsmouth all with both Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Its about 1800-2200 people a day each way (PDEW) with the peak in Q1

For Q1 2016 - BOS/MHT/PVD/PSM - MIA/FLL was 2180 PDEW

DOT Table 6 shows the market leader and the low fare carrier. The market leader, American got about 765 PDEW a day and averages 1110 pax in each direction daily on the route so its about 1/3 connecting traffic. American's load factors on the BOS-MIA flights are in the 90's.

Southwest gets lowest fare with about 355 PDEW a day (mostly from Providence-Ft Lauderdale Service)

One way Fares:

All Airlines - 199.20
Market Share Leader - American - 208.88
Low Fare Leader - Southwest - 180.49

Overall there's more competition on these city pairs than Tampa but the average fares are the same. What we don't know - how many people are flying Boston-Atlanta/JFK-Miami on Delta and what they are paying. Only Delta knows that.

Last edited by adamh8297; 01-08-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Clarified the 1110 pax number.
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #3310
Toucano

Quote:

DL used to operate direct service to FLL. This was about 6-7 years ago.
Toucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #3311
mass88

Someone over on Airliners.net is citing an inside source they know that Avianca will be commencing Bogota-Boston flights starting April 17. It will be interesting to see how reliable this source is. Seems like a short timetable to start international service.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #3312
GeneseeJunction

Begin the Boston A380 era! I know it's not a new route, but Logan now has all pretty much all the hardware in the sky, in scheduled service. Next whale is BA 239 on Sunday evening. Catch it heading out on Monday morning if you fancy.

EK237 today:

Last edited by GeneseeJunction; 01-26-2017 at 03:23 PM.
GeneseeJunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #3313
kmp1284

I'm almost positive that BA pulled the plug on Sunday's A380.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #3314
Lrfox

Emirates has some neat video footage of the A380 landing at BOS on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Emirates/

They also posted this awesome photo of the A380 coming in over Winthrop:

Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #3315
LH421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucano View Post
DL used to operate direct service to FLL. This was about 6-7 years ago.
Ended March 2010, final service was 1x MD-88. It has come and gone as weekend/seasonal service around the December holidays.
LH421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #3316
Lrfox

Question for anyone familiar. I had to book a last minute flight to PBI over the weekend and long story short, Spirit was the only airline with reasonable fares. I'm not happy about it, but I paid for a "Big Front Seat" (1A) in each direction and it's just my carry-on (which I paid for in advance) to hopefully make what I've heard is a nightmare travel experience just a little bit easier.

My question is this: My flight departs from B-38. These are the old VX gates, correct? Are they still separate from the rest of the terminal, or has the post-security connector been completed? Trying to determine how early I get to the gate. I'm not going early if I'm trapped on an island with nothing but Cosi.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #3317
LH421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Question for anyone familiar. I had to book a last minute flight to PBI over the weekend and long story short, Spirit was the only airline with reasonable fares. I'm not happy about it, but I paid for a "Big Front Seat" (1A) in each direction and it's just my carry-on (which I paid for in advance) to hopefully make what I've heard is a nightmare travel experience just a little bit easier.

My question is this: My flight departs from B-38. These are the old VX gates, correct? Are they still separate from the rest of the terminal, or has the post-security connector been completed? Trying to determine how early I get to the gate. I'm not going early if I'm trapped on an island with nothing but Cosi.
Yes NK (Spirit) is now operating out of the former Virgin America (before that America West) gate area. B37/38 have their own TSA screening, waiting area and bathrooms behind security however you cannot access the main concourse where AA/UA are located.

I did Spirit once to FLL years ago, more as an airline person wanting to experience their "product". It sounds like you are going in with appropriate expectations and already have paid for a good seat so I wouldn't be overly leery. The only potential area of concern would be irregular operations and their service recovery (or lack thereof) should you face an extended delay. Otherwise bring reading material, download Netflix or Amazon content on a fully charged tablet (there is NO power or wifi) and hope for the best.
LH421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #3318
BuilditDenser

Now that it has been posted on Airliners.net, I can finally offically say that Avianca is coming to Boston on June 1st! It will be 4x weekly service to Bogota. This one has been in the works for a long time

Last edited by BuilditDenser; 02-06-2017 at 08:07 PM.
BuilditDenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #3319
SouthEnder88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilditDenser View Post
Now that it has been posted on Airliners.net, I can finally offically say that Avianca is coming to Boston on June 1st! It will be 4x weekly service to Bogota. This one has been in the works for a long time
Is this confirmed? I noticed on Airliners that they weren't able to book/find it in any of the systems. Hoping it is true!
SouthEnder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #3320
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthEnder88 View Post
Is this confirmed? I noticed on Airliners that they weren't able to book/find it in any of the systems. Hoping it is true!
Its not loaded so its not 100% but seems like its going to happen. I would say it will be loaded by the end of the month.
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote