archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #5901
Lrfox

Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebikes View Post
They've been bustituting on the weekends north of Harvard to replace the concrete under the rails. Wonder if today is related to that.

https://www.mbta.com/projects/red-li...ab-maintenance
Probably something to do with that. This is the actual message (still in effect, apparently):

"Due to a track condition discovered during an inspection and out of an abundance of caution, trains are operating at reduced speeds southbound between Harvard and Central. There are delays up to 15 minutes in both directions due to the restriction."

I'm guessing this will be an all day nuisance. Maybe even into tomorrow.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #5902
statler

Stupid question.

How is the Pay by Phone parking system enforced? Do they just drive though the lots a few times a day and check license plates?
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #5903
jklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
Stupid question.

How is the Pay by Phone parking system enforced? Do they just drive though the lots a few times a day and check license plates?
Probably not even that, maybe just once at like 10 or something.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #5904
cadetcarl

Wellington lot they check a couple of times a day and transit police sweep once or twice a week (I've seen actual tickets for more general violations like expired inspection stickers) but the enforcement is not very rigorous. Last time I checked right after the price hike last fall it was possible to park for free around and after the evening rush. You could catch a game at the garden without being dinged.
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #5905
chmeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetcarl View Post
Last time I checked right after the price hike last fall it was possible to park for free around and after the evening rush. You could catch a game at the garden without being dinged.
Parking should be free for arrivals after 5:00. Most of the lots are at 10-20% utilization by 7:00, might as well incentivize additional off-peak ridership.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #5906
Wash

The delays on the red line are most likely related to this:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ohL/story.html
Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #5907
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee View Post
Parking should be free for arrivals after 5:00. Most of the lots are at 10-20% utilization by 7:00, might as well incentivize additional off-peak ridership.
At least they lowered prices on weekends, though as you said it honestly should be free for many MBTA lots on Saturdays/Sundays.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #5908
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash View Post
The delays on the red line are most likely related to this:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ohL/story.html
OK, but the article is from March 14 and states the defective track would be replaced that night.

Speed restriction are still in place today. So clearly the track was not replaced that night!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #5909
HelloBostonHi

Latest massDOT presentation may have well have just said there is no weekend service on any line anymore. I see Blue line weekend diversions, Orange Line weekend diversions, Green Line B/C/D diversions, Chelsea commuter rail diversions, Worcester line diversions. Also Orange Line northern track replacement? Must have missed that one in the news

Last edited by HelloBostonHi; 03-20-2019 at 11:07 AM.
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #5910
jass

Weve talked a little in the past about the design of MBTA commuter rail stations. I argue that theyre too bare-bones which hurts ridership. A rebuttal was that no one builds real stations these days anywhere, and if you get a bus shelter you should be happy.

Well...

Quote:
In the not too distant future, the Stuyvesant Avenue NJ Transit Train Station in Lyndhurst is going to look a lot different — and nicer — thanks to the hard work of Mayor Robert Giangeruso, the Township Commission and NJ Transit.

The Mayor and Commission recently authorized NJ Transit to move ahead with a $22 million capital improvement to the station.

“The new station will replace the current antiquated Lyndhurst Train Station on Stuyvesant and Court avenues,” Giangeruso said. “The new station will not only help to improve ridership, but will also provide handicapped access to passengers — something the township has been lacking.

“We are extremely excited to be on the receiving end of this incredible $22 million infrastructure improvement from NJ Transit. This will increase property values while not costing the taxpayers of Lyndhurst one cent.”

According to the mayor, the new station, which is currently used by around 1,000 commuters each day, will get new, protected waiting areas, new ticketing locations and better access to the platform.
http://www.theobserver.com/2019/03/train-to-the-future/

Imagine that, an indoor waiting area!
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #5911
FitchburgLine

$22m station renovations are morally indefensible. At reasonable costs, that pays for 3 full high accessible CR stations.
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #5912
Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBostonHi View Post
Latest massDOT presentation may have just said there is no weekend service on any line anymore.
I'm sorry, what? What does this actually mean?
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #5913
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchburgLine View Post
$22m station renovations are morally indefensible. At reasonable costs, that pays for 3 full high accessible CR stations.
The diagram shows a high platform, which that station currently doesnt have. The track is raised above the roadways, so presumably the station will include an elevator to make it handicap accessible. Thats most of the costs.

Incidentally, the DoD spent $78 million in the time between my earlier post and this one. Perhaps that is a better place to direct morale outrage.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #5914
FitchburgLine

New Jersey Transit should just take money from a random branch of the federal government, got it. In competent countries like Spain and Italy, high platforms cost $3m per station and elevators are under $1m. US transit's inability to control capital costs isn't going away, no matter how many other sources of funding you find.
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #5915
bigeman312

I think mis-allocation of government spending (federal and otherwise), as well as inefficiencies and poor cost control are all problems and not mutually exclusive. And all of these issues affect the MBTA.
bigeman312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #5916
HelloBostonHi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside View Post
I'm sorry, what? What does this actually mean?
Updated my phrasing slightly but its still pretty clear what I'm talking about, look at the photos, read the rest of the post.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #5917
HelloBostonHi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Imagine that, an indoor waiting area!
And then you have to pay someone to staff the new ticket area, someone to keep the new station clean, someone to provide utilities for the new building and keep it warm, someone to provide maintenance/painting etc, someone to provide security watch cameras, lock the doors at night and open them in the morning. The MBTA has proven that as of right now they are not capable of supporting maintenance even of their existing facilities. Lets work on what we have first. Lets focus on things with true operational benefits like going all high level platforms, double tracking/triple tracking lines as necessary.

I think municipalities should control stations, let them build station buildings and maintain them, I know a lot of suburbs have way more money to spend on it and then its benefiting the people who pay the local taxes directly.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #5918
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeman312 View Post
I think mis-allocation of government spending (federal and otherwise), as well as inefficiencies and poor cost control are all problems and not mutually exclusive. And all of these issues affect the MBTA.
Yup, at the end of the day, it's the same dollars being lifted from my paychecks.

Quote:
And then you have to pay someone to staff the new ticket area
No you dont. Many NJT stations have unstaffed indoor waiting areas.

Quote:
someone to keep the new station clean
This is true of any platform. Someone empties the trash cans. Their job is then extended to unlocking and locking the indoor area at the right times.

Quote:
someone to provide utilities for the new building and keep it warm, someone to provide maintenance/painting etc, someone to provide security watch cameras
Yes, these are all things that help build ridership.

Just imagine using this kind of logic when running a business. Think of how much money you could save if you didnt heat or cool your building! No need for cleaning if you simply dont have restrooms!

Like a business, the MBTA is in a competitive environment.

If the MBTA doesnt provide seating and heating, and cars do, guess what people choose?

Quote:
I think municipalities should control stations, let them build station buildings and maintain them, I know a lot of suburbs have way more money to spend on it and then its benefiting the people who pay the local taxes directly.
This can be a good idea if the municipality is a good partner. But if you get a "I hate transit" mayor, whats to stop them from no longer providing these services?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #5919
Riverside

Quote:
Updated my phrasing slightly but its still pretty clear what I'm talking about, look at the photos, read the rest of the post.
Yes, I see, I just don't see how you go from what's in the pictures to the ludicrous claim of "there is no weekend service on any line anymore."

For example, the Orange Line track replacement is apparently already ongoing. And, lo and behold, while there is a platform change at Wellington, service continues to run.

Likewise, the Green Line diversions are also ongoing and the most severe is weekend suspension of the C line for about 4 weekends scattered over the month of April.

Did they say anything more about how the Blue Line project will work? Will it shut down both tracks between Aquarium and Maverick?

Was there any elaboration on the Chelsea Station project? Anything to suggest that the whole line would need to be shut down?

Was there any elaboration on the 1-90 air rights project? Any discussion of impact to the rail lines there? Again, especially at weekends, a reduction to single track would not force a suspension of service.

Plus, there's the Red Line, Silver Line and half a dozen commuter rail lines that aren't mentioned anywhere here.

So, yeah -- that's why I'm asking, how you go from a) the pictures you shared to b) "there is no weekend service on any line anymore."
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #5920
HelloBostonHi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside View Post
Yes, I see, I just don't see how you go from what's in the pictures to the ludicrous claim of "there is no weekend service on any line anymore."

For example, the Orange Line track replacement is apparently already ongoing. And, lo and behold, while there is a platform change at Wellington, service continues to run.

Likewise, the Green Line diversions are also ongoing and the most severe is weekend suspension of the C line for about 4 weekends scattered over the month of April.

Did they say anything more about how the Blue Line project will work? Will it shut down both tracks between Aquarium and Maverick?

Was there any elaboration on the Chelsea Station project? Anything to suggest that the whole line would need to be shut down?

Was there any elaboration on the 1-90 air rights project? Any discussion of impact to the rail lines there? Again, especially at weekends, a reduction to single track would not force a suspension of service.

Plus, there's the Red Line, Silver Line and half a dozen commuter rail lines that aren't mentioned anywhere here.

So, yeah -- that's why I'm asking, how you go from a) the pictures you shared to b) "there is no weekend service on any line anymore."
You must be fun at parties Jesus, ever heard of exaggeration to make a point? Was simply saying the next three years or so will be a mess of weekend service diversions. And no, the Northern OL track replacement hasn't begun but they include the third track work in their little timeline