archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #4021
Lrfox
Senior Member
 
Lrfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,336
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Looks like Burlington, VT and Rochester, NY are competing for a direct flight to Boston: https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Bu...506156921.html

No airline has been named, but it's one that "already flies to Burlington." It has to be Delta/Connection, right? American Eagle and JetBlue already fly to Rochester, and United wouldn't be able to feed the route with connecting traffic like Delta could.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #4022
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,278
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Looks like Burlington, VT and Rochester, NY are competing for a direct flight to Boston: https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Bu...506156921.html

No airline has been named, but it's one that "already flies to Burlington." It has to be Delta/Connection, right? American Eagle and JetBlue already fly to Rochester, and United wouldn't be able to feed the route with connecting traffic like Delta could.
Cape Air bitches
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #4023
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,898
Re: Logan Flight Additions

JetBlue has announced some service increases out of Boston.

Hourly service to Washington Reagan will begin this summer
Hourly service to NYC (JFK and LGA I would assume) will also begin this summer.

Service increases to 10 other cities, including Austin, Raleigh/Durham, Savannah and Cleveland.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0227005802/en/
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #4024
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,278
Re: Logan Flight Additions

More flights to Newark is good news for me. Screw United.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #4025
atlantaden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,883
Re: Logan Flight Additions

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8807996.html

The buzz about Jet Blue flying across the pond to London has really ratched up, especially now that that a "save the date" e mail announcement was sent out to all Jet Blue employees...

"An announcement is expected early next month, with services likely to start from late 2019. Staff at jetBlue have been sent a “save the date” email about an event in New York on 10 April, described as “a chat about jetBlue’s vision and strategy”.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #4026
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,517
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
[b]etween approximately 5:30 a.m. and 10 p.m. Logan flights will depart at the bottom of the hour for one of the three major New York area airports: John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), LaGuardia Airport (LGA) or Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
That's actually only about 15 to 18 flights,
Call it 5x to 6x (flights every third hour) to each of LGA EWR JFK
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #4027
Lrfox
Senior Member
 
Lrfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,336
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaden View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8807996.html

The buzz about Jet Blue flying across the pond to London has really ratched up, especially now that that a "save the date" e mail announcement was sent out to all Jet Blue employees...

"An announcement is expected early next month, with services likely to start from late 2019. Staff at jetBlue have been sent a “save the date” email about an event in New York on 10 April, described as “a chat about jetBlue’s vision and strategy”.
It definitely looks like London. The background of the Save the Date matches the Tube seat patterns. Cute little hint. To take the connection even further, LHR has Tube service, LCY and LGW do not. JetBlue has taken an "LHR or Bust!" stance as well - they don't want to fly to secondary airports.

Maybe a more fantastical question, but is it possible JetBlue could launch LCY-BOS/JFK on the A220? Deliveries are expected in 2020, so an April 2019 announcement for a Summer 2020 launch makes sense. I get that it's unrealistic, but consider the following:
  1. The A220 already flies to LCY (Swiss).
  2. Competition from Legacy Carriers will be stiff at LHR (or other LON airports)- this gives customers something Legacies don't offer - direct flights to Central London with connections to/from B6's domestic network at BOS/JFK.
  3. If MINT service is offered, lighter aircraft (which would be an issue on takeoff at LCY) with premium cabin (competing for business travelers).
  4. LCY has a Tube connection also so the print on the Save the Date makes sense here as well.

More realistically it's an a320/21 neo services (or even LR - an order for which would be part of the announcement next month), but the A220 to LCY is an interesting though (at least until someone who knows better quickly debunks it with their "facts" and "logic.").
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #4028
North Shore
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 92
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
It definitely looks like London. The background of the Save the Date matches the Tube seat patterns. Cute little hint. To take the connection even further, LHR has Tube service, LCY and LGW do not. JetBlue has taken an "LHR or Bust!" stance as well - they don't want to fly to secondary airports.

Maybe a more fantastical question, but is it possible JetBlue could launch LCY-BOS/JFK on the A220? Deliveries are expected in 2020, so an April 2019 announcement for a Summer 2020 launch makes sense. I get that it's unrealistic, but consider the following:
  1. The A220 already flies to LCY (Swiss).
  2. Competition from Legacy Carriers will be stiff at LHR (or other LON airports)- this gives customers something Legacies don't offer - direct flights to Central London with connections to/from B6's domestic network at BOS/JFK.
  3. If MINT service is offered, lighter aircraft (which would be an issue on takeoff at LCY) with premium cabin (competing for business travelers).
  4. LCY has a Tube connection also so the print on the Save the Date makes sense here as well.

More realistically it's an a320/21 neo services (or even LR - an order for which would be part of the announcement next month), but the A220 to LCY is an interesting though (at least until someone who knows better quickly debunks it with their "facts" and "logic.").
I get what you're trying to rationalize, but B6 has made it apparent they want to compete with the legacies apples to apples, specifically via the Mint product on BOS/JFK to LHR. They know they can undercut the legacies and still be decently profitable on the route(s). Plus, they'll be able to expand on their interline partnerships (hello BA) from LHR to the rest of Europe.
North Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #4029
kmp1284
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,780
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore View Post
I get what you're trying to rationalize, but B6 has made it apparent they want to compete with the legacies apples to apples, specifically via the Mint product on BOS/JFK to LHR. They know they can undercut the legacies and still be decently profitable on the route(s). Plus, they'll be able to expand on their interline partnerships (hello BA) from LHR to the rest of Europe.
As laughable as the thought is of JetBlue having any meaningful impact on BA, I'm sure they'll terminate that interline agreement the instant JetBlue announces.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #4030
Lrfox
Senior Member
 
Lrfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,336
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore View Post
I get what you're trying to rationalize, but B6 has made it apparent they want to compete with the legacies apples to apples, specifically via the Mint product on BOS/JFK to LHR. They know they can undercut the legacies and still be decently profitable on the route(s). Plus, they'll be able to expand on their interline partnerships (hello BA) from LHR to the rest of Europe.
I completely agree, it was just a shot in the dark. I think LCY might make sense for direct TATL flights in the future (BA does it to JFK on an all-business A318, but that requires a stop at SNN on the Westbound leg), but not what B6 is trying to do right now.

Their domestic route network here, their on board product, and their partnerships in Europe make them a very real threat to the legacies. Others that have tried (Primera, Norwegian) don't have the same set of advantages. B6 is a threat if they get competitive slots at LHR.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #4031
Lrfox
Senior Member
 
Lrfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,336
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
As laughable as the thought is of JetBlue having any meaningful impact on BA, I'm sure they'll terminate that interline agreement the instant JetBlue announces.
I don't think they'll have an impact on BA, nor do I think BA is the target (especially at BOS). The target is DL who is their primary competitor at BOS. DL hasn't killed it on the BOS-LHR route, so there's room for B6 to slip in there. I don't know that BA kills the interline agreement either. VS is a BA competitor, and DL/VS are a pretty strong pair. Anything that puts a dent in VS/DL is also a win for BA.

Further evidence that B6 is targeting DL would be the rumors that AMS and CDG are the other two of the top 3 Europe targets for B6.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #4032
millerm277
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 161
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Globe article today on Delta's growth at Logan: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...TDJ/story.html

Their peak daily departures were 117 a day in 2018, they're aiming for 141 this year and 158 in 2020. Pretty significant growth there. No news on where new destinations will be, though.
millerm277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #4033
adamh8297
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 544
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Globe article today on Delta's growth at Logan: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...TDJ/story.html

Their peak daily departures were 117 a day in 2018, they're aiming for 141 this year and 158 in 2020. Pretty significant growth there. No news on where new destinations will be, though.
My guess is there will be another European Destination for Summer 2020 - (maybe Shannon or they take over Manchester UK from Virgin), Dallas-Fort Worth, and from previous posts Burlington VT or Rochester NY.

They may consider Grand Rapids MI, Madison WI, Omaha or Louisville at some point with an E-Jet or even A220.

San Antonio would be a good A220 route.

I've heard they struggle on SFO but they may need to go to 3x on it.
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #4034
kmp1284
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,780
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
I don't think they'll have an impact on BA, nor do I think BA is the target (especially at BOS). The target is DL who is their primary competitor at BOS. DL hasn't killed it on the BOS-LHR route, so there's room for B6 to slip in there. I don't know that BA kills the interline agreement either. VS is a BA competitor, and DL/VS are a pretty strong pair. Anything that puts a dent in VS/DL is also a win for BA.

Further evidence that B6 is targeting DL would be the rumors that AMS and CDG are the other two of the top 3 Europe targets for B6.
I'm not sure it will cut into Delta/Virgin all that much either. Their loads to London have been poor but I suspect that most of their customer base consists of business travel limited by corporate contracts or are loyal Delta/SkyTeam flyers.

Last edited by kmp1284; 03-08-2019 at 12:31 PM.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #4035
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,898
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Louisville
San Antonio
Dallas/Ft. Worth
New Orleans goes year round
More seasonal Caribbean destinations
Manchester (take over from Virgin Atlantic)
Rome
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #4036
adamh8297
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 544
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
Louisville
More seasonal Caribbean destinations
They are in the big markets already. A well-timed flight for cruise ship travel to San Juan may still work.
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If Logan Airport were moved.... JS38 Development Projects 26 11-24-2008 04:25 PM
New Logan 9/11 Monument bostonman Development Projects 28 09-12-2008 12:55 PM
More international carrier gates at Logan stellarfun Transit and Infrastructure 13 06-09-2008 01:03 PM
If We Moved Logan Airport... Waldorf General Architecture & Urban Planning 4 04-05-2007 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.