archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #41
choo

Re: Lowell 2015 update

What's the rationale for no residential? Not even mixed? (I'm not familiar with Lowell but this seems to go against the grain of other small cities seeking to bring in residence and mix use)
choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #42
palindrome

I too am a little perplexed by the no residential reasoning.

Is there any reason this area needs a master developer? Can the city not just go parcel by parcel?
palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #43
reverend_paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
I too am a little perplexed by the no residential reasoning.

Is there any reason this area needs a master developer? Can the city not just go parcel by parcel?
I can only guess myself, as someone who lived in Lowell for 8 years relatively near this location.

My guess is that the city feels that the downtown and surrounding area is already fairly residential. Most of the area within the canals (at least near the hamilton) already hosts nice loft buildings for residential.

Like a lot of other formerly great cities and current gateway cities Lowell probably believes in revitalizing the downtown with a relevant mix (office) that can draw people into the city.

Lowell already has some major employers, but they live on the periphery. If their vision is to revitalize, I understand their reasoning.
reverend_paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #44
stefalarchitect

Small update on Lowell:

UMass is investing quite a bit on their facilities recently.

Yesterday they announced they're beginning a 2 year renovation and addition to two of their eight engineering/science buildings, totaling ~$80 million. Yesterday Gov. Baker also announced an additional $10 million in funding for the renovation of a UML Property downtown. (Boston Business Journal)

This past spring they officially opened a new business center:

stefalarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #45
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_paco View Post
I can only guess myself, as someone who lived in Lowell for 8 years relatively near this location.

My guess is that the city feels that the downtown and surrounding area is already fairly residential. Most of the area within the canals (at least near the hamilton) already hosts nice loft buildings for residential.

Like a lot of other formerly great cities and current gateway cities Lowell probably believes in revitalizing the downtown with a relevant mix (office) that can draw people into the city.

Lowell already has some major employers, but they live on the periphery. If their vision is to revitalize, I understand their reasoning.
I understand their reasoning too. Lowell probably doesn't want to just be a bedroom. They want independent significance, and that comes from commercial presence. I think the central cities are looking to do the opposite, increase residential, so they can become 24/7 places. It depends on the city's existing perspective/role in the larger metro area I think, and as an outsider Lowell appears to be mostly bedroom (despite its obvious local service establishments and probably a few other notable commercial presences).

Another reason could be that residential development is often perceived as having a negative impact on school costs whereas commercial development pays taxes without adding to spending too much.

Lastly, if this is city owned land, there could be greater environmental cleanup costs associated with a residential use, which would decrease the offering price for the land from a residential developer, or increase the pre-sale burden on the city. Just speculating but it seems like that could be a factor given location.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #46
Patrick

PS the UMass buildings look great. Thanks for posting. Reminds me a bit of the Muskie School in Portland (not really similar, but for some reason it made me think of it). http://multifiles.pressherald.com/up...school_USM.jpg
Old 10-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #47
iamdjmichael

Has anyone heard of or seen plans for the Lupoli Co 20 story tower in the HCD? http://richardhowe.com/2017/10/08/lo...ctober-8-2017/
iamdjmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #48
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdjmichael View Post
Has anyone heard of or seen plans for the Lupoli Co 20 story tower in the HCD? http://richardhowe.com/2017/10/08/lo...ctober-8-2017/
great updates. thx. hopefully will happen.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote