archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
dshoost88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,437
Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

It's about time for this to have its own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron37 View Post
Scratch that I guess it was $17M, closed yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
Indeed, Star Market bought the gas station property (1420 Boylston St) from Elias Enterprises for $16,925,000, closing yesterday. You can see the details here - search for "Elias" and sort by date.

Star Market now owns the "gas station parcel" as well as the parking lots south and east of it, plus their building. I've been confused by the timeline here -- why shut down the Gulf and Dunkin when any future development is still years away -- but I think it all makes a bit more sense if Star Market itself is the developer, not a third party.

Even though no plans have been made public, would it make sense to move all of this 1420 Boylston St talk off into its own thread (maybe Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1420 Boylston Street | Fenway)? It's been clogging up this "Skanska Fenway Project" thread for weeks now... Mods, any opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
A development would include the Star Market "south lot" (the one at the corner of Park Dr and Peterborough) but likely not the one on Boylston. This is atleast what the rumors are saying, and it makes sense. There's an alley separating the Gulf site and the Star Market lot on Boylston.

The store and parking lot on Boylston would then go later in a second phase.
My $0.02: I think if Star Market does do a grocery store fronting Park Drive that they hopefully think of a way to do it below ground or a floor above to allow for ground floor retail facing Park Drive & the Fens. Also, I imagine this is a great spot for LMA-related office space. Not a bad site for a hotel either, though.
dshoost88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,110
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshoost88 View Post
My $0.02: I think if Star Market does do a grocery store fronting Park Drive that they hopefully think of a way to do it below ground or a floor above to allow for ground floor retail facing Park Drive & the Fens. Also, I imagine this is a great spot for LMA-related office space. Not a bad site for a hotel either, though.
Seems unlikely that Star Market would shortchange its own store by not giving it the ground-floor space. JumboBuc's comments make sense, though. The new Star logically would need to be built off-site in order for the old one to stay open through construction.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
bigpicture7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 1,411
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Seems unlikely that Star Market would shortchange its own store by not giving it the ground-floor space. JumboBuc's comments make sense, though. The new Star logically would need to be built off-site in order for the old one to stay open through construction.
Interesting you mention this - Oddly enough, Star Market has indeed done a grocery store/hotel combo before, with integral parking...and the grocery store on the second level, here. Not sayin' its the best arrangement, but in a high-demand area (and high hotel-demand area) it could happen again.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,110
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Interesting you mention this - Oddly enough, Star Market has indeed done a grocery store/hotel combo before, with integral parking...and the grocery store on the second level, here. Not sayin' its the best arrangement, but in a high-demand area (and high hotel-demand area) it could happen again.
Fair, but I don't think anyone wants a repeat of the ground floor of that building. Also, Star Market may have been willing to do second floor there because they could get a level entry to the parking garage. Parking here would be either above or below the store.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,939
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

837' or bust.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,709
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

We'd probably see 10-15 floors on the northern Boylston half of this lot and 5-7 floors on the southern Peterborough half. Those are the prevailing building and zoning heights on the two streets (Pierce non-withstanding), and they seem appropriate here.

Underground parking could be accessed by the alley that runs along the eastern edge of the site. If Star Market is to move over here, they'd need a 2 (or 3?) story retail podium, taking into account the lobbies and elevators/stairs. The current Star Market includes a Starbucks and full liquor section and is super cramped. I'm guessing residential above, with the lower roof on the Peterborough side a roof deck.

And if this thread is now a thing (since the sale is finalized and rumors have thus been verified), maybe a mod could move the many dozens of posts this parcel has received over in the "Skanska Fenway Project" thread to here? Also, props to WestFens, whose tips kicked this whole discussion off.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
laramaro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
837' or bust.
This project will not being going high like The Pierce. The Pierce is in one of two gateway sites in the Fenway zoning district where greater height is permitted. 2 Charlesgate is in the other. This site is not in a gateway area and the neighborhood will fight it tooth and nail if they propose anything approaching the height of The Pierce here.
laramaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
sm89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somerville
Posts: 752
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

I've always found it odd that the current Star has a Kilmarnock St address. You'd think they'd have changed it to Boylston already since it's more recognizable?
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,068
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Star Market above parking?

What could go wrong.

https://goo.gl/maps/o9sUUNtwd492
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #10
KentXie
Senior Member
 
KentXie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fenway
Posts: 3,745
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
837' or bust.
No
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
HalcyonEra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 340
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Star Market above parking?

What could go wrong.

https://goo.gl/maps/o9sUUNtwd492
This one works pretty well in Bellevue, WA:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...009431!6m1!1e1
HalcyonEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #12
WestFens
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
We'd probably see 10-15 floors on the northern Boylston half of this lot and 5-7 floors on the southern Peterborough half. Those are the prevailing building and zoning heights on the two streets (Pierce non-withstanding), and they seem appropriate here.

Underground parking could be accessed by the alley that runs along the eastern edge of the site. If Star Market is to move over here, they'd need a 2 (or 3?) story retail podium, taking into account the lobbies and elevators/stairs. The current Star Market includes a Starbucks and full liquor section and is super cramped. I'm guessing residential above, with the lower roof on the Peterborough side a roof deck.

And if this thread is now a thing (since the sale is finalized and rumors have thus been verified), maybe a mod could move the many dozens of posts this parcel has received over in the "Skanska Fenway Project" thread to here? Also, props to WestFens, whose tips kicked this whole discussion off.
Thanks Jumbo - I appreciate the nod
WestFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #13
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,709
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonEra View Post
This one works pretty well in Bellevue, WA:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...009431!6m1!1e1
For a (much) closer example of big-box / grocery upstairs over parking, there's this.

I bet that's a pretty good model of what to expect for this site. Mash up the Target and Skanska/BK buildings, rotate it clockwise 90 degrees, and slide it about 600 feet to the west.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #14
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,642
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

My (completely uneducated) guess for this site is 270'. Tallest building on that side of Boylston in Fenway, but no place close to the Pierce across the street. It would continue to improve the canyon anyway.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #15
kingofsheeba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Posts: 237
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Sam Kennedy wants to turn Fenway into Wrigleyville. Hmmmmm...
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/b...e-development/

Quote:
“I think you’ll see some growth and development in Fenway, including, possibly, on the parcels that we own,” said Kennedy, a Brookline native. “We’re looking at different options. But there are some great developers that have already invested literally billions of dollars into the Fenway neighborhood in the last decade. I think we’ll probably see what’s appropriate, the appropriate level of development for us.”

Could this mean a sort of micro-neighborhood comprised of bars, restaurants, and vendors, not unlike the one surrounding Chicago’s Wrigley Field—Fenwayville, perhaps? Kennedy said that while the team has no specific plans just yet, he doesn’t anticipate a design scheme that involves “massive parking structures.”
kingofsheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #16
akmags
Member
 
akmags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Dedham
Posts: 78
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

I don't think you guys are going to get any of this. Star Market is in the grocery business -- not the development business. They may build a larger grocery store -- but they are not going to go taller, add a hotel, residences, or offices.
akmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #17
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,110
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmags View Post
I don't think you guys are going to get any of this. Star Market is in the grocery business -- not the development business. They may build a larger grocery store -- but they are not going to go taller, add a hotel, residences, or offices.
That's an outdated statement. Grocery stores are increasingly developing their urban locations with mixed-use. See Allston Landing for a simultaneous local example...
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #18
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,591
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Yep, grocery chains are waking up to the value of their urban real estate.

http://www.archboston.org/community/...ead.php?t=5443
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #19
BosDevelop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,101
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

I don't trust Star Market to develop a decent supermarket (see the relatively new Chestnut Hill location as Exhibit A) let alone an entire mixed-use development. Hopefully they bring on an experience partner for the non-supermarket portions of the development.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #20
bigpicture7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 1,411
Re: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

Supermarkets gobble up a huge amount of space - I might prefer to see it in the basement (a la Roche Bros. in DTX)...why waste the space on something that wouldn't benefit from the windows as much as something else? Usually supermarket walls are lined with freezer cases, refrigerators anyway, shelves...no reason the shopping experience would change much if that were underground. I actually kinda like the feel that the DTX Roch Bros. has.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike PARCEL 7, Beacon Street | Fenway Jasonik Development Projects 1129 11-06-2018 06:37 AM
The Harlo (née Skanska Fenway Project (Burger King))| 1350 Boylston Street | Fenway stellarfun Development Projects 549 09-12-2018 10:25 PM
Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Van Ness) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway Mike Development Projects 679 10-06-2017 01:40 PM
The Viridian (Fenway McDonald's) | 1282 Boylston Street | Fenway Mike Development Projects 364 09-15-2015 02:07 PM
Fenway HoJo's Redevelopment | 1271 Boylston Street | Fenway palindrome Development Projects 180 08-07-2015 10:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.