archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #2921
Max

Re: Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

The Planning Board is set to consider 218 Washington Ave tonight, a 4-story condo or apartment proposed for Washington Ave near the 295 ramp. I read some of the engineering notes from Curran on the city's site and they express some concern about the feasibility of building on such a steep slope. Every time I drive down that stretch I laugh at that green shed that looks like it's about to fall down the hill.

Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #2922
PortlandArch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
The Planning Board is set to consider 218 Washington Ave tonight, a 4-story condo or apartment proposed for Washington Ave near the 295 ramp. I read some of the engineering notes from Curran on the city's site and they express some concern about the feasibility of building on such a steep slope. Every time I drive down that stretch I laugh at that green shed that looks like it's about to fall down the hill.

That's actually quite a handsome building for that location in my opinion. Woodard & Curran I believe is the City's peer review firm so it would make sense that they have concerns since they are being paid to come up with something to say.
PortlandArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #2923
PortlandArch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosakita18 View Post
Does anyone ever know what happened with "Phase II" of the Jordan's Meat factory redevelopment? A 4-story condo / retail development to fill the block between Fore, India and Middle Streets, which is now occupied by the parking lot for the Hampton Inn

It was approved by the planning board way back in 2012 but shovels never hit the dirt. Anyone know why?

They weren't able to get their anchor tenant signed up for a fall start, and they didn't want to start the following spring because of the impact on hotel operations. This was a mixed-use project including office and residential. Permits probably expired and there likely hasn't been a compelling reason to move forward again given the cash that's probably generated from the parking area. At some point attention will turn back to this site, and that will probably be soon given everything else that's happening in the neighborhood.
PortlandArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #2924
Cosakita18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandArch View Post
.... At some point attention will turn back to this site, and that will probably be soon given everything else that's happening in the neighborhood.
Speaking of attention turning back to a site, What the heck is going on with Midtown? The last news about the project is from October when Federated hinted that they were "going back to the drawing board" but it's been 6 months now and there hasn't been a single word from either federated or the city.
Cosakita18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #2925
cneal

That plan for phase II of the Jordan's site is dead. In 2014 the developers sold the site to the hotel management company that owns and operates the Hampton Inn, so that they'd have direct control over the parking lot.

Because they're property managers, not developers, new construction on the site is unlikely: it's not in their realm of expertise, and they're going to be reluctant to do anything that might complicate their use of their parking lot.

On the bright side, the sale of the land may have helped Opechee (the previous owners) finance other projects they were involved in subsequently, like the Marriott on Commercial Street and the new apartments going up on York Street.
cneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #2926
TC_zoid

An interesting arch debate -- "Brutalism.' The building in the video is in Providence, and I know some on this blog will have a good opinion relative to that. I think if it is truly outstanding in his architecture, never touch it. But if you've ever spent a lot of time in D.C., after awhile it gets depressing, or maybe not?

http://www.pressherald.com/media/vid...eted-eyesores/

And here's the result? A Marriott Residence Inn? Hope they don't do something like this in Portland...

http://www.providencejournal.com/new...own-providence
TC_zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #2927
Corey

Send a message via AIM to Corey

Anyone notice the sidebar on this Press Herald article from yesterday? The article is about rent-control but the sidebar mentions a "proposed referendum" containing the following:

Quote:
The ordinance would prevent a zone change from being enacted if 25 percent of residents living within 500 feet sign a document opposing the change. However, a developer could overcome that obstacle by getting a majority of residents living within 100 feet of the site to sign a document in support within a 45-day period.
At first glance it sounds like that would really impact any potential zoning changes and the corresponding new development. I'd think there may be some value if a majority of people opposed a zoning change, but 25% seems like a really low threshold to reach.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #2928
TC_zoid

am assuming "residents" means landowners. otherwise, a neighborhood could "pile up" some temporary renters to get that vote.
TC_zoid is offline   Reply With Quote