archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #3481
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,596
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
While it theoretically levels the playing field, it does nonetheless disincentivize US-travel in general. I suspect many business people are going to ask themselves if it's absolutely necessary to make a trip and others who must go might reroute through a country not on the ban list.

I suspect I'm not alone on this but my company has a distinct prohibition on our intellectual property being placed in checked baggage and we don't have any earth shattering trade secrets or a cure for cancer up our sleeves.
Exactly. There is an alternative: Dont travel.

Why host a conference in a country that clearly doesnt want visitors? Why vacation in Florida when you could fly to the Caribbean?
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #3482
kmp1284
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Holland Park, W11
Posts: 1,585
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Air Canada is probably salivating at the prospect of this going through.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #3483
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,610
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
While it theoretically levels the playing field, it does nonetheless disincentivize US-travel in general. I suspect many business people are going to ask themselves if it's absolutely necessary to make a trip and others who must go might reroute through a country not on the ban list.

I suspect I'm not alone on this but my company has a distinct prohibition on our intellectual property being placed in checked baggage and we don't have any earth shattering trade secrets or a cure for cancer up our sleeves.
Putting a laptop in a checked bag is asking for trouble. That is going to be a massive turnoff for the business crowd.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #3484
Schorschico
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 39
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
Putting a laptop in a checked bag is asking for trouble. That is going to be a massive turnoff for the business crowd.
...the scientific community that also affects Boston very directly will not be happy either. What is a visiting professor/post-doc/PhD-student going to do? International conferences? Look somewhere else. This is madness.
Schorschico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #3485
Mongo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 315
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
Putting a laptop in a checked bag is asking for trouble. That is going to be a massive turnoff for the business crowd.
What's weird to me from a safety perspective is that the FAA specifically tells you not to check spare lithium ion batteries because of the risk of fire. You can check installed batteries, but the same sort of risk is there, the FAA just seems to have higher confidence in permanently installed batteries supplied by an Apple or a Lenovo rather than the spare battery you got off of ebay.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #3486
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,596
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
Putting a laptop in a checked bag is asking for trouble. That is going to be a massive turnoff for the business crowd.
Some companies wont allow it.

You want to place your proprietary company data unattended where anyone can swipe it? Nope.

You either hold a virtual meeting (no travel) or you travel via Canada or Mexico.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #3487
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Camberville
Posts: 1,004
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Some companies wont allow it.

You want to place your proprietary company data unattended where anyone can swipe it? Nope.

You either hold a virtual meeting (no travel) or you travel via Canada or Mexico.
Makes me want to buy stock in external / removable hard drive manufacturers.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #3488
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 2,911
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Some companies wont allow it.

You want to place your proprietary company data unattended where anyone can swipe it? Nope.

You either hold a virtual meeting (no travel) or you travel via Canada or Mexico.
Storing data on a computer is so passe. Upload it to the cloud and access it from a chromebook when you get there..
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #3489
BosDevelop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 859
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Why is a laptop under a plane safer than a laptop in the cabin? Can't a bomb be placed in a laptop in checked luggage and remotely detonated or set to a timer? Is it because the checked baggage is regularly subject to additional explosive screening that carry on baggage is not subject to? Seems to me like these devices should be banned from everywhere on the plane (if at all) if there are legitimate security concerns.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #3490
FenwayResident
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 487
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosDevelop View Post
Why is a laptop under a plane safer than a laptop in the cabin? Can't a bomb be placed in a laptop in checked luggage and remotely detonated or set to a timer? Is it because the checked baggage is regularly subject to additional explosive screening that carry on baggage is not subject to? Seems to me like these devices should be banned from everywhere on the plane (if at all) if there are legitimate security concerns.
From what I've read, it's not possible to hide a 100% functional bomb inside of a laptop; only the explosives would fit. You would need other components and some assembly in-flight in order to set it off.

Note to NSA: not a terrorist.
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #3491
TallIsGood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 179
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Well if you are in Europe when the ban is implemented you will have a real decision to make. Checked luggage or FedEx.
TallIsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #3492
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 1,174
Re: Logan Flight Additions

I know this is not Logan but I'm too lazy to find the thread for it, but what the hell did they do with the Sumner Tunnel toll tear down. It's made getting out of Logan a nightmare.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #3493
SouthEnder88
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 65
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Agreed! Picked my mom up from the airport yesterday, and I have NEVER seen traffic that bad. The congestion to just leave the place started somewhere between terminals C and E
SouthEnder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #3494
Lrfox
Senior Member
 
Lrfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,966
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallIsGood View Post
Well if you are in Europe when the ban is implemented you will have a real decision to make. Checked luggage or FedEx.
I flew Turkish from IST-BOS a few weeks ago where the ban is already in place.

Turkish, along with the other ME carriers affected, are gate checking electronics and taking pretty good care of them. You basically hand over your electronics to an employee at the gate who writes down what you have on a slip with your name (they check passports), and places your electronics into thick bubble wrapped pouches, seals it with tamper-evident tape, sticks on something similar to a baggage tag, hands you a corresponding claim tag, and places it in a hard suitcase behind them. The bags are then locked and carried by employees from the gate to the hold (We watched them do this). When you land, you proceed to the baggage claim where there's a table and a few airline employees standing in front of the bags. You hand over your claim tag and passport and they give you your electronics back.

Obviously it's not at all ideal. I think the ban is absurd (and frankly, more dangerous than the threat of a terrorist having the newest MacBoom Pro onboard). It wasn't as bad as expected (especially since it allowed us to have our electronics on the first leg of the trip which was an 8 hour flight). It did, however, lengthen the boarding process. And while it definitely alleviated the issues/concerns I had with potential theft or data compromises, it doesn't do anything for business travelers who expect to use the time aboard productively.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #3495
BosDevelop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 859
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
I flew Turkish from IST-BOS a few weeks ago where the ban is already in place.

Turkish, along with the other ME carriers affected, are gate checking electronics and taking pretty good care of them. You basically hand over your electronics to an employee at the gate who writes down what you have on a slip with your name (they check passports), and places your electronics into thick bubble wrapped pouches, seals it with tamper-evident tape, sticks on something similar to a baggage tag, hands you a corresponding claim tag, and places it in a hard suitcase behind them. The bags are then locked and carried by employees from the gate to the hold (We watched them do this). When you land, you proceed to the baggage claim where there's a table and a few airline employees standing in front of the bags. You hand over your claim tag and passport and they give you your electronics back.

Obviously it's not at all ideal. I think the ban is absurd (and frankly, more dangerous than the threat of a terrorist having the newest MacBoom Pro onboard). It wasn't as bad as expected (especially since it allowed us to have our electronics on the first leg of the trip which was an 8 hour flight). It did, however, lengthen the boarding process. And while it definitely alleviated the issues/concerns I had with potential theft or data compromises, it doesn't do anything for business travelers who expect to use the time aboard productively.
So what happens if I have an Ipad in my carry on and try and bring it on board? How does the airline know since it sounds like you can take your electronics through security and then it's up to the customer to declare it at the gate?
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #3496
Lrfox
Senior Member
 
Lrfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,966
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosDevelop View Post
So what happens if I have an Ipad in my carry on and try and bring it on board? How does the airline know since it sounds like you can take your electronics through security and then it's up to the customer to declare it at the gate?
You go through an extra layer of security at the gate and they check your bags. That's part of the reason it takes longer to board.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If Logan Airport were moved.... JS38 Development Projects 26 11-24-2008 04:25 PM
New Logan 9/11 Monument bostonman Development Projects 28 09-12-2008 12:55 PM
More international carrier gates at Logan stellarfun Transit and Infrastructure 13 06-09-2008 01:03 PM
If We Moved Logan Airport... Waldorf General Architecture & Urban Planning 4 04-05-2007 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.