archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #541
Arlington

Re: Congestion toll in Boston?

In Virginia, the HOT never took untolled lanes, but sometimes added a toll option to priorly-HOV-only Lanes on inner I-66 and I-395 and I-64 (Norfolk)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #542
mass88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Could HOT's take up already existing lanes? Or would it require highway expansion.

I wouldn't be surprised if HOT's on I-93 S from Medford to the Tunnel cost $40 to go 5 miles every morning, as traffic there is mental.
The highways in the metro area cannot afford to have lanes taken for this. Adding a lane would be the only realistic option. Ideally you would have an addition full travel lane added in each direction where people are charged by the distance they travel (see Atlanta) and also allow buses to drive in them. Imagine true express bus service from places like Waltham, Newton and Natick right into Boston.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #543
tysmith95

I'm not sure that there is space on the Pike to add another lane, unless you want to raise it in more places and put it above the railroad tracks.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #544
JeffDowntown

Quote:
I'm not sure that there is space on the Pike to add another lane, unless you want to raise it in more places and put it above the railroad tracks.
The prospects for expanding the Pike, through whatever means, through Newton are ZERO.

Politically DOA.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #545
Arlington

Quote:
On the Pike* the "congestion charge" solution is to dynamically toll the whole thing from Natick to Logan. Tolls at rush hour should rise to ensure that it never slows. Tolls at off hours should fall to ensure it is always being fully used.

* and any other tolled facility like the Tobin, Sumner/Callahan, & Ted Williams
Old 04-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #546
mass88

Quote:
It would be tough sledding to say the least. Just like adding congestion tolls is going to be tough sledding.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote