archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #621
cneal

Re: Portland Bayside

Oops, you're right! I just double-checked the city's parcels map – Jackrabbit only owns the VA/Chase Leavitt/SMRT warehouse, while Cohen owns the WEX site to the south and the Hamilton Marine warehouse at 100 Fore to the north.

Interestingly, the city still owns a narrow strip of land between the two warehouses, an old railroad ROW. Hopefully they can use that to encourage a land swap between the two private owners and extend Mountfort St to the waterfront as planned.
cneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #622
Max

Groundbreaking is set to begin today on one of the parcels the City recently sold to various developers in Bayside:

http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/2018...180619970/1092
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #623
PortlandArch

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/06/...ect-dismissed/
PortlandArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #624
Dr. StrangeHat

Well, hopefully the lawsuit being settled frees the land up to be sold and developed by someone else. I'm tired of waiting for Federated to do something. I can't blame them for everything the city and Keep Portland Livable put them through (and the potential losses they've incurred because of it), but it's time to move on and find someone willing and able to develop the property.
Dr. StrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #625
Cosakita18

If anyone was still holding out a sliver of hope that Midtown will ever be built, I found out from a friend in city government that Federated no longer exists as a company, the land is now owned by a shell company. Final nail in the coffin for the project.

The city is trying to get the land back
Cosakita18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #626
PortlandArch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosakita18 View Post
If anyone was still holding out a sliver of hope that Midtown will ever be built, I found out from a friend in city government that Federated no longer exists as a company, the land is now owned by a shell company. Final nail in the coffin for the project.

The city is trying to get the land back
Interesting news ... was it someone from the planning department, or someone higher up? Trying to gauge how credible your source might be. Also, did they have any other updates about the project or when they might be taking the land back?? Thanks!
PortlandArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #627
Dr. StrangeHat

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole fiasco up-ended Federated as a company. You can't pour millions of dollars into planning something on this scale and get nothing out of it. Banks and financiers do not like a negative return on their investment.
Dr. StrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #628
Cosakita18

https://www.centralmaine.com/2019/01...ents-stack-up/

The Federated / Midtown saga is still dragging on. Looks like Peter Monro is back in the picture as well

Quote:
Peter Monro, one of the co-founders of a Portland activist group that sued Federated over its original proposal for much taller buildings, said the delay should give city officials time to rethink the whole plan. The suit was settled with a revised plan scaling back the size of the development.

Monro said development projects in downtown that rely on parking garages should be rethought in favor of those that link living and work spaces.

“I think there is a fundamental misconception in City Hall on how we should develop the city,” he said, saying most new metropolitan development focuses on ways to eliminate or reduce car use. “We would love to see some other things for the project to hinge on rather than parking.”
Cosakita18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #629
markhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosakita18 View Post
https://www.centralmaine.com/2019/01...ents-stack-up/

The Federated / Midtown saga is still dragging on. Looks like Peter Monro is back in the picture as well
Mr. Munro seems to be unclear on the difference between "misconception" and "difference of opinion".
Old 01-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #630
TC_zoid

The underlying reason the NIMBY group does not want Midtown is one of racism. They fear the project will bring in more "people of color," and that that will result in more crime, poverty, etc. Talk to the few blacks in Portland (not Africans, but those that were born in the U.S.), and they will be honest with you. "black girl in maine" has a FB page in which you can scroll through her thread. She's open about it, and her identity is too. You are only not racist if you treat everyone the same. That includes not "parading around" a few select peoples, so that you can "feel good about yourself."

Last edited by TC_zoid; 01-26-2019 at 09:07 AM.
TC_zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #631
markhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_zoid View Post
The underlying reason the NIMBY group does not want Midtown is one of racism. They fear the project will bring in more "people of color," and that that will result in more crime, poverty, etc. Talk to the few blacks in Portland (not Africans, but those that were born in the U.S.), and they will be honest with you. "black girl in maine" has a FB page in which you can scroll through her thread. She's open about it, and her identity is too. You are only not racist if you treat everyone the same. That includes not "parading around" a few select peoples, so that you can "feel good about yourself."
I thought the original plan for Midtown was for market-rate apartments? I don't doubt what you're saying, but I wouldn't have associated the project with what you're speaking of.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #632
TC_zoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhb View Post
I thought the original plan for Midtown was for market-rate apartments? I don't doubt what you're saying, but I wouldn't have associated the project with what you're speaking of.
Yes, it was, or still is. But with 800 new rental units, the rental market pricing will go down, making it more affordable. They do not want a large congregation of "economically challenged" groups (many poor families "of color" have multiple wage earners). Instead, they claim it will change the character of the city, this horrible large architecture. Except that, they have said virtually nothing about the massive new office building construction in the East End. Talk about changing the character of a neighborhood. I like it, the money that's coming in, but they do look like something more in line with what you would see in an office park out by the Maine Mall. Portland is the only congested city (in the peninsula part) in the world that builds long, low-rise buildings during a market upswing.
TC_zoid is offline   Reply With Quote